New tyres...

So, what are peoples' favourites on the VRS these days? I want tyres with good grip in wet and dry and would like to keep the price at <£100 a corner. Uniroyals seemed to be mentioned a lot?

Currently got Maxxis MAZ1 (I think) and they're rubbish in the wet and quite noisy.

Edited by planehazza

I had Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas on mine, quiet and good in wet, but rubbish in snow, Ive F1 Eagles (2) on my R36 and really rate them, but youll strugle to get them for 100 a corner ( I use winter tyres thses days as moved to area where it snows more frequently )

There are already numerous threads on this subject, one in the last few days - try a search.

My input?  -  Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3s.

I did, yesterday anyway, and didn't see any reasonably new topics.

I thought about getting some steelies and some winter tyres, but we've not had any serious snow the last few years so have never bothered with them. For this reason I've typically gone for good all rounders.

Edited by planehazza

I did, yesterday anyway, and didn't see any reasonably new topics.

I thought about getting some steelies and some winter tyres, but we've not had any serious snow the last few years so have never bothered with them. For this reason I've typically gone for good all rounders.

Winter tyres are WINTER tyres not SNOW tyres.  Winters give improved grip, especially for braking, and traction when temperature is 7C or below.  I have a second set of alloys fitted with winter tyres that I swap to when temp is reasonably constantly below 7C.  Tests have shown that winter tyres in temp above 7C perform better than summer tyres do below 7C so the occasional 'warmer' day during the expected winter months does not bother me..

• Like 1

Goodyear Asy 3 Had them fitted in august and appear to be lasting very well, grip and handle brilliantly in both wet and dry. Plus they are very quiet with road noise.

I swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 and have done for years on all of my cars. Luckily when I bought the Octavia it had them already.

My tyre fitter said there had been some slightly negative press towards the sidewalls on the Assymeyric 3 compared to the 2, so I went for a pair of 2s last time around.

I have just fitted 2 Dunlop Sport BluResponse to my estate.

Gotten good reviews and seem reasonably quite( :giggle: ) although difficult to be sure as mine is PD engine.

Well rated for wet grip and road noise.

Was going to go for the FastResponse but looking to sell soon anyway so settled slightly cheaper at £56 each.

I guess you want something a bit more fancy though?

I swear by Goodyear Eagle F1 and have done for years on all of my cars. Luckily when I bought the Octavia it had them already.

My tyre fitter said there had been some slightly negative press towards the sidewalls on the Assymeyric 3 compared to the 2, so I went for a pair of 2s last time around.

The tyre wall doesnt protect the edge of the wheel on the 3 as it does on the 2.

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/goodyear-eagle-f1-asymmetric-3-225-40-r18-92-y-xl-fp

Awesome tyres for a great price!

Really though you should be running winters as said above, when the temp drops the compounds that summer tyres are made from harden to the point braking/grip is reduced significantly.

I'm running Uniroyal M&S Plus 77 at the moment, great tyres for this time of year, I'll be fitting Eagle F1's in March/April when trmps rise again.

I've never know a tyre fitter to recommend anything other than what they have in stock at that time, in the size you want, with the largest profit margin they can muster....

Do you think they sit around discussing the finer points of AutoBild and ADAC German Tyre Tests whilst sipping their mid-morning cup of English Breakfast Tea?

Do your own homework. Read the reviews yourself. Make your decision and phone around the local fitters to get a price on the tyres you want fitted. If they don't have them in stock ask them to get them in for you. I went for Goodyear Efficient Grip. I'm happy with my choice. They suit my style of driving and give good economy. They are useless in the cold/snow so that is why i have some winter tyres on steel rims  :happy:

• Like 3

So, what are peoples' favourites on the VRS these days? I want tyres with good grip in wet and dry and would like to keep the price at <£100 a corner. Uniroyals seemed to be mentioned a lot?

Currently got Maxxis MAZ1 (I think) and they're rubbish in the wet and quite noisy.

I know what you mean with the maxxis tyres. Had a full set of brand new maxxis on my car when I bought it. Really rubbish in the wet, but because they were new, kept them on the car. They never seemed to wear out, which is the only good thing about them. Replaced the front pair after 18k miles and they still had nearly 5mm tread left. Just could not put up with all the wheel spin in wet conditions any longer. As Golf-Fiend states, the Goodyear efficient grip tyres are excellent in wet and dry conditions.That is the make of tyre I replaced the front maxxis with. The Goodyear do spin a bit in these conditions, but I expected that when it's less than 7 degrees, so it was no surprise. You need specific winter tyres to get cold weather grip, but I am not prepared to invest in them, not living in the overall warmer south of England anyway. Usually get my tyres  online from Camskill tyres, delivered to my local garage and they fit them for a small fee. 

• Like 1

Another vote for winters. My Vreds are brilliant in the summer but spinning in 3rd at 5 degrees C was no fun. I got a set of Avon ice touring ST which are designed for cold and standing water more than snow and they've been great. I've now done about 20k miles on them (left them on far to late into the summer due to exams) and they're around 5mm left on the front. Wheels and tyres from http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk were about £360 and when I need to replace them the avons were about £50 last time I looked making swapping to winters much more cost effective than running the same wheels all year round. Not found a down side yet!

Well seeing that I need new tyres anyway, and were going to be ~£400, it might be worth me getting a set of Winter wheels/tyres. Where do people tend to store their alloys in the meantime? I'm in a very small 2 bedroom house with no option for storage. I would not want to store them in the small shed as it's old, tattered and very easy to steal from...

Got my Uniroyal Rainsport 3 this morning. They seem very good so far and its wet and cold outside. They are already feeling better than the Dunlop SP Sportmax GT I had before. Speaking to the tyre place this morning and they say winter tyres are pointless because of the UK weather not requiring them. All clever business. I've never had winter tyres and not had a problem in north Scotland. Save your pennies in my opinion :)

• Like 1

Got my Uniroyal Rainsport 3 this morning. They seem very good so far and its wet and cold outside. They are already feeling better than the Dunlop SP Sportmax GT I had before. Speaking to the tyre place this morning and they say winter tyres are pointless because of the UK weather not requiring them. All clever business. I've never had winter tyres and not had a problem in north Scotland. Save your pennies in my opinion :)

Never had a problem with 'summer' tyres either, but then when the weather is cold, wet or icy, If people drove accordingly taking these factors into account there would be way less accidents of which I doubt winter tyres alone would prevent. (yes I know they are not actually alone, you have four of them).

Again, this appears to be the confusion between snow tyres and winter tyres. Snow tyres are probably worse in wet conditions than your summer tyres as they are designed to hold on to the snow to increase grip which is the opposite of what we need for standing water! Winter tyres designed to deal with cold and wet weather is exactly what our climate requires!

Edited by surfingobo

Snow tyres are probably worse in wet conditions than your summer tyres as they are designed to hold on to the snow to increase grip which is the opposite of what we need for standing water! Winter tyres designed to deal with cold and wet weather is exactly what our climate requires!

Sorry, I beg to differ. My Avon Ice Touring have superb grip in the wet. So much so I hardy notice standing water or wet roundabouts. Grip is immense! My summer tyres have great grip in the dry and warm. I'd keep my winters on all the time if they didn't get trashed in the warmer weather and weren't as noisy as hell.

I had Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 2 on my previous car ( Seat Leon fr tfsi ) and i rate them very highly. Now my car vrs is due a couple of tyres next year and for the price I'm seriously tempted by the Uniroyal rs 3's. I don't think I've read a bad review of them. The Goodyears are a great tyre but quite expensive.