Connecting to Home Wifi

Wouldn't it just be easier to look out the window to see if your car is still there rather than boot up the laptop and ping it?

What! Use own eyes rather than technology - that's not the modern way!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Ok - so not sure if this is related to this particular thread, but I thought it looked like a good place to ask my question.  I prefix this with the fact that I am a tech pygmy.  I have a 2015 SEL 150 tdi Superb Estate without an integral sim card.  When I drive the car, the car's wifi pairs with our phones but I can't see any utility in doing so!  If I want to use spotify I have to use a cable, if I make a call it is via bluetooth.  What exactly can I do by pairing my phone to the car?  It would be great to be able to listen to spotify by wifi through my phone rather than using a cable.

Thank you and sorry if I am completely missing the point here, but the wifi function seems pointless without an integral sim.

33 minutes ago, Ant1975 said:

Ok - so not sure if this is related to this particular thread, but I thought it looked like a good place to ask my question.  I prefix this with the fact that I am a tech pygmy.  I have a 2015 SEL 150 tdi Superb Estate without an integral sim card.  When I drive the car, the car's wifi pairs with our phones but I can't see any utility in doing so!  If I want to use spotify I have to use a cable, if I make a call it is via bluetooth.  What exactly can I do by pairing my phone to the car?  It would be great to be able to listen to spotify by wifi through my phone rather than using a cable.

Thank you and sorry if I am completely missing the point here, but the wifi function seems pointless without an integral sim.

I'll caveat my response first by saying I didn't have the wi-fi option on my last vRS and as far as I know, it's not on my new one either.  However, I'll continue based on what I think happens.

The wi-fi option on these cars is to allow you to use the car as a wi-fi hotspot, allowing passengers to use internet services whilst inside the vehicle.  I personally think it's a a totally useless option.  Why would I want to connect to the car's wi-fi when I could just directly connect to the phone, where the car is itself obtaining it's connection?  I wouldn't.  That's my answer anyway.

With respect to your Spotify question.  You should be able to Bluetooth stream your music to the car without the need for a cable.

More than happy to be corrected on the above as like I said, it's just my thoughts on how it works.

Edited by SC03OTT

I think it's aimed at families.  If you have a couple of kids in the back with tablets on a long journey, they probably won't have 3/4g or if they do you don't want to be forking out for a contract each.  

This way the car has a sim and everyone can share.  You could open up a wifi hotspot on your phone (android) but you'll also be able to fry an egg on it after 30 mins if you do!

8 minutes ago, dg360 said:

I think it's aimed at families.  If you have a couple of kids in the back with tablets on a long journey, they probably won't have 3/4g or if they do you don't want to be forking out for a contract each.  

This way the car has a sim and everyone can share.  You could open up a wifi hotspot on your phone (android) but you'll also be able to fry an egg on it after 30 mins if you do!

Yeah I can see the point if the car has it's own SIM (although I'd still opt for the phone hotspot sharing myself).  The comment I was responding to doesn't though.  It's that case where I just can't see the point in getting the car to be some sort of middle man.

Both car and phone can connect more devices than there are seats in the car. No need for car in the middle. Still figuring out connections on new car but it seems if you don't have SIM then you need USB cable for Mirrorgate, Android Auto, Smart link + or carplay, then BT for easiest phone connection and WiFi hotstop for Skoda Connect.

yeah, i too am yet to figure out wat benefit the Columbus gets by connecting to my home WLAN or phone's hotspot WLAN?

if it used it to get things like traffic updates, or weather updates,  or download album art for music being played - brilliant - but i don't see any evidence of that.....anywhere!!!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies, I'm still no clearer however! In other breaking news I tried to connect to the SKODA CONNECT APP without success, a call to customer services reveals that it is only available for 

1 hour ago, Ant1975 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies, I'm still no clearer however! In other breaking news I tried to connect to the SKODA CONNECT APP without success, a call to customer services reveals that it is only available for 

C'mon! The suspense is killing me! :D

Ha! Sorry phone cut out! Only available for Kodiak and Octavia! I asked what about your 'Flagship' model- the Superb and customer services said "what do you mean by Flagship".... so currently no app compatible with superb (although I stand by to be corrected). Just another small disappointment along with my apparently useless wifi function and inability to connect Spotify by Bluetooth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ant1975 said:

Ha! Sorry phone cut out! Only available for Kodiak and Octavia! I asked what about your 'Flagship' model- the Superb and customer services said "what do you mean by Flagship".... so currently no app compatible with superb (although I stand by to be corrected). Just another small disappointment along with my apparently useless wifi function and inability to connect Spotify by Bluetooth. 

Your problem with Spotify sounds like a fault - I've connected Spotify via bluetooth on an Android phone before I switched to iPhone and Carplay. That could be one for the dealer to look in to...

3 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Your problem with Spotify sounds like a fault - I've connected Spotify via bluetooth on an Android phone before I switched to iPhone and Carplay. That could be one for the dealer to look in to...

Thank you. Have you managed to connect Spotify on iPhone by Bluetooth?

11 hours ago, Ant1975 said:

Thank you. Have you managed to connect Spotify on iPhone by Bluetooth?

I've never tried to be honest - registering your phone with the car as a Carplay device seems to disable BT media connections from the iphone as it assumes you'll use a cable connection (even if you're not actually connected at the time). I'm sure I've seen a message that comes up to say that media streaming isn't available, or something like that. I think to get rid of this you need to would probably have to remove the car from your list of Carplay devices on your phone, and then re-connect via bluetooth - probably from scratch to be sure.

If I get a chance I'll give it a try, but I'm struggling for time at the moment....

So definitive answer from Skoda UK is that the wifi function is to generate s hotspot and share a 3G connection with others in vicinity. I was also told that Skoda One and Skoda Connect App only available on Kodiak and MY 17 Superbs... not my ancient 65 plate...