Battery state

Batteries don't last forever (if it's a 2013/4 model it is very possible that could be the issue, assuming the alternator is charging fine). It needs a dealer, but, on the basis that you've been on a long trip, I would suggest that if the start stop is not working, it will be because the battery voltage has dropped to a sufficient level for the system to be disabled. Either the system needs some form or reset, or your battery is genuinely on it's way out. Either way it would need a dealer to properly diagnose, and to replace the battery as I understand you can't do that yourself without VCDS or their equivalent nowadays. Helpfully.

• Like 1

I forgot, how do you check battery state?

Ignition off, hold in the trip reset button until it shows Battery Status. Release and it should show the SOC %

Edited by ahenners

New owner here. Just reading about the ability to interrogate the battery SOC.

Just checked mine (the car has not been used for a couple of days) and it is SOC---% and yet the car starts fine.

Should I be concerned?

TIA

Bob

Providing you buy an identical battery you don't need to program anytihing. the battery control and regulation system will adapt itself.

By identical I mean one from either skoda or TPS sourced via chassis number and not one from the local motor factors that fits in the tray the same as the original and that's the only similarity.

Interesting, and contrary to information given here on another thread that explained to get it working fully you needed to input something like the the new serial number from the new battery. I did think it's was a bit too much.

Having said that. If you source a battery that is the same in relation to cca and ah. Why would the car notice anything different?

My question really is, do you actually need to do anything to the car if you swap like for like? The car can't tell if you swap an oem for a Bosch silver line. It's just an electrical circuit, it doesn't get data from a battery.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

Just checked mine (the car has not been used for a couple of days) and it is SOC---% and yet the car starts fine.

Should I be concerned?

TIA

Bob

Nothing to worry about.

Interesting, and contrary to information given here on another thread that explained to get it working fully you needed to input something like the the new serial number from the new battery. I did think it's was a bit too much.

Having said that. If you source a battery that is the same in relation to cca and ah. Why would the car notice anything different?

My question really is, do you actually need to do anything to the car if you swap like for like? The car can't tell if you swap an oem for a Bosch silver line. It's just an electrical circuit, it doesn't get data from a battery.

The car doesn't. Hence why "programming" is overkill.

Granted it may see a higher amperage and voltage in a stored state but that's it, then within a few trips it will readapt itself to suit.

You could by all means try a non gen battery but I'd always recommend an genuine for the best and most trouble free results.

Thank MoggyTech

Are we to assume that this 'feature' is essentially useless then?

Bob

At best it seems to be erratic. I've got an expensive battery charger and analyser that is very accurate. Sometimes the SOC on the maxidot will agree with what the analyser readout says. At other times the analyser will say 100% and the SOC will read 80 to 90%. I've stopped using stop/start unless I know I'm going to be stopped for sometime. As long as the battery will start the car I'm happy. 

Should I be concerned?

TIA

Bob

Just been out on a short run but long enough such that the stop start is functioning and yet battery state is still "amber SOC---%"

I thought that the stop-start only worked when the car considered the engine to be warm AND the battery state good enough to re-start the engine.

Is this SOC just a naff gadget or what?

Bob

Just been out on a short run but long enough such that the stop start is functioning and yet battery state is still "amber SOC---%"

I thought that the stop-start only worked when the car considered the engine to be warm AND the battery state good enough to re-start the engine.

Is this SOC just a naff gadget or what?

Bob

Pretty much, given it only shows (or not) the battery no load charge percentage, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.  

Pretty much, given it only shows (or not) the battery no load charge percentage, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.  

Right I've got it now.

The SOC is for the dealer to use. You turn up, he presses the button and if it reads SOC---% he sells you a new battery.

If on the off chance it reads anything he can say "well it is not 100% so could let you down, you had better have a new battery"

If it happens to read 100% then he can always try to sell you some wiper blades!!

Bob