Battery state

Hi Wanderer, for 6 weeks or more (particularly over winter) I would think seriously about getting a low-rate, regulated trickle charger on it if you can - otherwise think about removing the battery to somewhere warmer, but it will still need a charge before use. Note that a lead acid battery CAN freeze if allowed to discharge during cold weather. Depending on the age of the battery, I would think that you will be OK for perhaps 2-3 weeks without running it, but not much longer.

Warrior193.  

• Like 1

Hi Wanderer, for 6 weeks or more (particularly over winter) I would think seriously about getting a low-rate, regulated trickle charger on it if you can - otherwise think about removing the battery to somewhere warmer, but it will still need a charge before use. Note that a lead acid battery CAN freeze if allowed to discharge during cold weather. Depending on the age of the battery, I would think that you will be OK for perhaps 2-3 weeks without running it, but not much longer.

Warrior193.

Ive had cars standing for weeks temperatur down towards -10 without problems.

Longest was a Cortina, who stood unused from the summer untill January, and it fired right up without needing charging.

Ive had cars standing for weeks temperatur down towards -10 without problems.

Longest was a Cortina, who stood unused from the summer untill January, and it fired right up without needing charging.

Don't forget your Cortina would have had zero current drain from the battery once the ignition was switched off. Modern cars have a continuous drain of few/few tens of mA to keep the electronics alive and the alarm set etc. That could add up to a few Ampere hours per week.

Bob

Don't forget your Cortina would have had zero current drain from the battery once the ignition was switched off. Modern cars have a continuous drain of few/few tens of mA to keep the electronics alive and the alarm set etc. That could add up to a few Ampere hours per week.

Bob

Also don't forget that all lead-acid batteries, no matter their age, will self-discharge over time - made worse by low temperature, which reduces the available capacity.

Bob

I know. But the draw is not so big that a modern car cant be parked for a few weeks without getting a flat battery.

A besides, the Cortina had a manual clock that drew from the battery ;)

I know. But the draw is not so big that a modern car cant be parked for a few weeks without getting a flat battery.

A besides, the Cortina had a manual clock that drew from the battery ;)

But the OP is talking about six to twelve weeks - almost certain to have a  problem at the upper period, especially over winter.

I read (but do not fully understand!) is that the external battery negative terminal must be connected to the point on the chassis adjacent to the vehicles negative terminal but NOT  directly to the vehicle battery negative.  Supposedly something to do with the charge state monitoring but I'm not sure this is right.

Now there must be a very low resistance between the chassis and the vehicle battery negative to take the starting current but maybe the link is a fusible one to offer some battery  and alternator protection?

My previous car , a Ford, had a fusible link in the positive battery lead but no warnings about conventional jump starting.

I think it is a sensible rule not to use a higher voltage boost starter on any modern car stuffed full of electronics. Gone are the days of starting a car with a welder!! lol

As far as the question raised by the OP, it might be an idea to disconnect the battery once parked up BUT worth checking in advance how easy or otherwise to get into the car is the central locking has been un-powered for a while and what the alarm makes of it. Alarms tend to have their own batteries and might object.

Bob

• Like 1

AGM Advanced Glass Mat 2, so yes. 

The AGM battery chemistry still uses sulphuric acid, not liquid, but incorporated in the plates - but I'm pretty sure they are not the same as a "Gell Cell" in the usual sense.  

Just ask a friend to take it for a reasonable drive a couple of times over that period.

Good luck with the operation.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

I've damaged my Medial Meniscus, ACL & LCL's, with the possibility of a hamstring pull as well, so I've since discovered! 

Nothing like doing a good job, I've been off since Dec 7th, with the earliest possible return being somewhere between Jan 25th to Feb 8th at the earliest and depending on what the MRI scan throws up, it could be another 2-4 more weeks after that, should a operation be required (Highly likely).

Still all of my leave that I had booked is now accruing quite nicely, I'll be able to have a complete month off at this rate.

• 3 weeks later...

So today my mothers car didn't start. had to hook it up to my to start. And went to booked service. In the service my battery died! Replaced it with new one, damn expensive! Around 200 pounds.

Edited by Croat

• 5 years later...

Having a problem with my stop start.  Tried to check battery status by pressing trip button, but only goes to Time, followed by Service.  No Battery?  Skoda Octavia 2017, 35K on clock

aH, just read that this is no longer available afterf 2016.

Edited by freeb1rd

18 minutes ago, freeb1rd said:

Having a problem with my stop start.  Tried to check battery status by pressing trip button, but only goes to Time, followed by Service.  No Battery?  Skoda Octavia 2017, 35K on clock

aH, just read that this is no longer available afterf 2016.

You can check it on devices like OBDEleven and VCDS etc