Slow puncture - only 5 days old

As above, if the the problem is the valve, the seating of the tyre on the rim or a porous alloy it's back to the dealer.

I've been back to a dealer before with a slow puncture shortly after purchase. They replaced the valve and all was fine. If there's no sign of anything that could have punctured it, take it to the dealer.

Have you checked that the pressure in the tyre is dropping. I have read that the TPMS can throw up an error if significant traction is lost on one wheel either by acceleration wheelspin or slipping in a ditch for example.

Bob

FML - so after marking my alloys slightly trying to get the caps off, I took the wheel off to find:

aNqF8t4.jpg

Of course, when putting the metal pick back I found the actual plastic tool to remove the caps (unlike the one you used on the Fabia)

Think it's repairable?

well that sucks.

I just had a brand new wheel (new tire and rim) loose 5 psi every single day. They couldn't figure out what was causing it, since there was no puncture, and the valve was ok too.

It turned out to be one of the small rubber overflow strings you see on new tires being wedged between the tire and the rim, causing it not to seal a 100% tight. 

These  (just for illustration - not my wheel)

31572745725_df91c2d55e_b.jpg

well that sucks.

I just had a brand new wheel (new tire and rim) loose 5 psi every single day. They couldn't figure out what was causing it, since there was no puncture, and the valve was ok too.

It turned out to be one of the small rubber overflow strings you see on new tires being wedged between the tire and the rim, causing it not to seal a 100% tight. 

These  (just for illustration - not my wheel)

31572745725_df91c2d55e_b.jpg

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson call them 'pneubes'?! :D

So does that mean the ever so ethical part worn tyre place repaired it then?

It was safely and legally repaired. Even Halfords own repair guidelines showed it was repairable but they said they wouldn't attempt to.

Local ATS repaired a puncture closer to the edge than that on my wife's car. They used the standard mushroom head patch. They did say if didn't stay up it would need to be replaced as it was on limit of sealing on tyre shoulder.

Find a good tyre depot and stick with them is my advice.

Mine was a mushroom plug/patch and it was within the limits where it was safe to do so.

I trust my tyre guys. They'd prefer repeat and loyal customers than to take money from anyone and everyone.

There's garages or tyre fitters that some people consider to be "good" Because they're are willing to put people's lives at risk for a fiver.

Yup. My life and the lives of my family are worth more to me than the cost of a new tyre in these circumstances. I would never repair a tyre punctured near the shoulder.

Have you checked that the pressure in the tyre is dropping. I have read that the TPMS can throw up an error if significant traction is lost on one wheel either by acceleration wheelspin or slipping in a ditch for example.

Bob

You read wrongly, the TPMS measures the relative speeds of the wheels over a distance, not short term like the slips you describe

There's garages or tyre fitters that some people consider to be "good" Because they're are willing to put people's lives at risk for a fiver.

Doesn't matter whether you drive a brand new £100,000 Porsche or a fifteen year old Ford Ka worth £100........the common denominator is that those four bits of rubber are the **only** thing that keep you in contact with the road when you're belting along the M4 at 2a.m at 135mph.

Ahem, I meant at 70mph, of course.

• Like 1