Audi A8 Quattro 4.2 LWB

gRoberts

Hey all,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612120539756?desc=1

Any thoughts on what to look for when about to buy an Audi A8 Quattro 4.2?

My mum has stupidly put a deposit on the car before telling me, so I haven't been able to check it over or even look into potential problems etc.

She'll be using it purely for towing a caravan...

Any thoughts?

Let's start with the immediate things :

Cambelt and water pump change

Oil changes for the engine and any diff/4wd specific couplings

I know there are some issues with the Audi multitronic gearboxes, not sure if this falls into that grouping, but again fluid changes if required should be documented.

Make sure EVERYTHING electronic works - the seats, the four zone air con and especially the air suspension. Any one of these has an issue it's going to get hellishly expensive to fix.

Type and length of warranty - will it genuinely cover the expensive oily bits, and how long for? Will it cover your mum adding in a tow bar and then towing?

Course, given the engine, it's going to like a serious drink when towing...... is there nothing with a slightly more frugal 2.7 or 3.0 TDI available? And does it have to be the size of an ocean-going liner like the A8?

If it's only for toeing maybe an Octavia or Superb with the 1.9 TDI in 130bhp disguise is more appropriate.

Must be a fair few of those knocking about in budget.

She's stupidly put a deposit it down - I haven't spoken to her properly about it but presume my brother went with her (he knows his way around vags too) but I have this feeling it's going to be a fun time.

MOT history looks fairly clean but given the mileage and age, despite having a full dealer history, I have a feeling that something big has come up forcing the previous owner to bail.

She had a shogun previous for towing so presume it'd be comparable in terms of cost but assuming all else is OK, she'd have the comfort of the Audi.

Fun huh thanks all

Let's start with the immediate things :

Cambelt and water pump change

Oil changes for the engine and any diff/4wd specific couplings

I know there are some issues with the Audi multitronic gearboxes, not sure if this falls into that grouping, but again fluid changes if required should be documented.

Make sure EVERYTHING electronic works - the seats, the four zone air con and especially the air suspension. Any one of these has an issue it's going to get hellishly expensive to fix.

Type and length of warranty - will it genuinely cover the expensive oily bits, and how long for? Will it cover your mum adding in a tow bar and then towing?

Course, given the engine, it's going to like a serious drink when towing...... is there nothing with a slightly more frugal 2.7 or 3.0 TDI available? And does it have to be the size of an ocean-going liner like the A8?

If it's only for toeing maybe an Octavia or Superb with the 1.9 TDI in 130bhp disguise is more appropriate.

Must be a fair few of those knocking about in budget.

Believe me, both my brother and I are well versed with ASZ 130 engines and we wanted her to go down that route but money burning a hole in her poctet and what not, she jumped on the first luxury car...

Believe me, both my brother and I are well versed with ASZ 130 engines and we wanted her to go down that route but money burning a hole in her poctet and what not, she jumped on the first luxury car...

Don't worry too much, between the fuel bill and repairs, money won't be burning that hole for long.

We've had to go for something bigger due to expanding family and my equally expanding waistline, and it's amazing how doing so empties the wallet exponentially.

I seriously considered an A8 but in the end the costs were too high.

Firstly..That one in the photo is NOT an LWB. It doesn't have the extra door pockets between the handle and pillar. Loads of these are advertised as LWB but aren't.

Things to look for? The MMI system can be temperamental and the pop out screen can fail. There's lots of additions that can be added to it and there's quite a variety of standard kit.

I'm sure I was told to avoid the 4.0 TDI but I can't remember why. Manyo is your man on here.

Edit..The advert is for a 4.0 TDI. Your talking about the 4.2...Which one has she gone for?

Edited by chris_1d
  • Like 1

Has the boot been popped for the photo's? If not the shut lines along the rear wings and between the tail lights looks a bit iffy.

Imagine they didn't close the boot properly when taking that shot.

I'm a little upset actually as my mum, who was raised as a mechanic's daughter, spent half her childhood in a banger race track as her dad drove and certainly knows her **** when it comes to cars... she didn't even drive the car before putting a deposit down...

I'm doing a full scan on it when I go with her next but given it'll be dark, I am going to struggle too check everything else on the check list.

Fun huh

• Like 2

Haven't they got an aluminium body which is hard to repair and makes the insurance high?

Fuel consumption is going to be biblical but meh, if she likes it and the bills don't scare her why not?

She called her usual insurance, which for her Peugeot 307cc has been pretty good, however when she called about the Audi A8, it was going to be £600 for that alone.

Doing a quick check with Admiral Multicar, gave her the same level of cover for both cars for less. 

I'm sure it'll work out ok, but it's a car with a LOT of tech and uncommon parts that will cost her a fortune. 

Of course, person with a sensible head on reminded her of the potential cost of timing belts and what not since it's a V8. Luckily, either chain driven, or a single belt rather than multiple.

Hopefully I get to give it a once over and if I spot anything, they will either refund her deposit or knock it down to cover.

Fun...