Dazzling xenons

Lol6

Occasionally, I am having an approaching car flash me as an indication that the headlights are causing dazzle. This is only happening when they are in Auto mode, i.e. When the lights are turning with the steering. With the normal setting there is no problem.

Has anyone else had the same? The explanation from the dealer is that in the process of turning a corner, especially right hand, the left light may cause dazzle as it is set higher than the right. I intend to have the beam height checked in the near future.

If this is true why have the option available? Any comments will be appreciated.

Ta muchly.

Perhaps it's the cornering function in the fog headlamps? There may be a way to disable it ...

Some info here: http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/hotspotdetail?HotspotName=E3+-+Fog+Headlamps+with+Corner+function+Superb+Combi+FL&Page=exterior&WebID=7d44f454-80cb-4f1f-b162-871f8cbe03f7

Edited by ionelmc

Have had exactly the same thing.  Lights on normal and traffic is happy even with the cornering fog lights (but they are slow speed).  If the lights are on AUTO for mainbeam/dip then I often got flashes.  Got to the point of given up on it and just use the lights as normal dip and main beam.

• Like 1

I presume that what triggers the auto dip is detecting oncoming headlights. If that's the case then maybe the issue is people like me who will dip when they think oncoming traffic is about to come into view not being detected by the automatics?

What do you mean exactly?

You are getting flashed even when your lights are on dipped beam or you have the lights on auto high beam (not dynamic lighting) and you get flashed going around corners etc?

If in auto high beam then there is a limitation in all such auto systems. Depending on the road, corners, hills etc it can often not ' see' the opposing vehicle until after you would have dipped your headlights and often the opposing vehicle driver expects you to have dipped moments before the system does. Result you get flashed.

I doubt the tale from the dealer is correct; much more likely that the other vehicle hasn't been seen until late, Especially so on right hand bends where the camera scan centre will be offset to the left due to the curve in the road and thus likely to be late on detection.

One other daft thought; it is late after all ! The travel mode isn't set for driving on the right is it? I am sure not as I think it sets itself automatically but strange things happen.

I can't recall whether the Skoda manual has any notes about such hazards but other marques do. I use my lights on auto all the time but keep an eye for such situations and switch manually if I see the lights haven't dipped when I expect them. Overall, the system works for me well over 85% of the time so for me it is useful aid.

• Like 1

My car is an SE L. I don't have the auto dip option. This problem is happening when the lights are on dip beam.

I think the lights are set correctly for this country. I have driven in fog when the beam pattern is clearly visible. When driving country roads at nights, which I do frequently, I will usually dip just before entering a blind bend as it is not always possible to tell whether there is an approaching car.

I am unconvinced the cornering fog lights present a problem as they are not as bright as xenons, are set lower on the car and have a much flatter beam pattern.

I have DCC and do drive a lot in comfort mode. I wonder if the rise and fall of the car with the soft ride is causing the dazzle. I will try it in Normal and Sport and see if that make a difference.

Interesting Pentaxion having the same problem. If the option causes discomfort to other road users, why do Skoda offer it?

IMO the headlights on the SE-L (Xenons) are poor - but the cornering lights won't operate at any reasonable speed (i don't know the exact number but it's something like under 20 mph)

My dipped beams appear to be too low - at 60 mph on an unlit road I struggle to see 20m in front of the car. Then the main beam appears way to high, not lighting up down the road rather lighting up the 5m up the trees!

It is booked in with the dealers early in January.

IMO the headlights on the SE-L (Xenons) are poor - but the cornering lights won't operate at any reasonable speed (i don't know the exact number but it's something like under 20 mph)

My dipped beams appear to be too low - at 60 mph on an unlit road I struggle to see 20m in front of the car. Then the main beam appears way to high, not lighting up down the road rather lighting up the 5m up the trees!

I totally agree. I took mine to the dealer as my lights were IMHO frankly sheeet!  The dealers checked them over and said they were as they should be which is when I took it into my own hands to adjust them myself. 

As Coops above says, they really don't shine far enough down the road at any speed, its so bad that I always felt nervous driving at 60mph on an unlit straight A road. Yes, the main beam is good but it should never be that driving normally raises the blood pressure and fear factor that you end up doing 40mph instead. 

So, using a light beam tester in work and an allen key, I adjusted my lights to the highest legal limits allowed and are much happier. I have never once been flashed before or after and so count that adjustment as a success. I am happier, but not happy with the results, the RH headlight pattern is still too low and too far left but at least the LH headlamp shines up the road a wee bit further.

Why they couldn't have just kept the Xenon system fitted to my Octavia 3 VRS as it was most excellent. Technology marches onwards......hmmm, I'm not so sure on that one!

• Like 1

I totally agree. I took mine to the dealer as my lights were IMHO frankly sheeet!  The dealers checked them over and said they were as they should be which is when I took it into my own hands to adjust them myself. 

As Coops above says, they really don't shine far enough down the road at any speed, its so bad that I always felt nervous driving at 60mph on an unlit straight A road. Yes, the main beam is good but it should never be that driving normally raises the blood pressure and fear factor that you end up doing 40mph instead. 

So, using a light beam tester in work and an allen key, I adjusted my lights to the highest legal limits allowed and are much happier. I have never once been flashed before or after and so count that adjustment as a success. I am happier, but not happy with the results, the RH headlight pattern is still too low and too far left but at least the LH headlamp shines up the road a wee bit further.

Why they couldn't have just kept the Xenon system fitted to my Octavia 3 VRS as it was most excellent. Technology marches onwards......hmmm, I'm not so sure on that one!

Next time I'm in Trowbridge you can do mine!

• Like 1

Get it down the dealer, Xenon lights were appauling when I got the car. Booked it in the dealer, they plugged in the diagnostic thingy, said nothing was wrong, now I have fully functioning AFS lights.

Just make sure they plug the diagnostics in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornering fog lights can be coded via VCDS to operate at higher speed. Think it's about 40mph? Worth doing in my mind. Have to agree about the Xenons. Not sure mine work properly and very poor range. Will have to annoy my dealer with a visit.

Get it down the dealer, Xenon lights were appauling when I got the car. Booked it in the dealer, they plugged in the diagnostic thingy, said nothing was wrong, now I have fully functioning AFS lights.

Just make sure they plug the diagnostics in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the cornering element of AFS - that works fine, it's just the actual headlights are so poor.

• Like 1

Having had a chat with a mate who'd been a passenger in the car before the lights were "fixed", he thought the cornering bit of my lights was working. As with yours they were very low - maybe 10-20m range. Now visibly adjusting range and turning.

Personally, don't think they were enabled in the pdi, plugging in the VAG diagnostic laptop reset/enabled the lights.

• Like 1

Having had a chat with a mate who'd been a passenger in the car before the lights were "fixed", he thought the cornering bit of my lights was working. As with yours they were very low - maybe 10-20m range. Now visibly adjusting range and turning.

Personally, don't think they were enabled in the pdi, plugging in the VAG diagnostic laptop reset/enabled the lights.

Thanks Q102, it's booked with the dealer for 10th Jan so we will see what happens.

• Like 1

Looks like I'll be visiting dealer as well. Never yet had the " dancing lights " on my new 190 SEL. on auto setting ( which were on last one ). The headlights are atrocious at moment. Feel lucky I'm not a constant night driver.

Never yet had the " dancing lights " on my new 190 SEL. on auto setting ( which were on last one ). The headlights are atrocious at moment. Feel lucky I'm not a constant night driver.

No dancing lights? I'd be asking for one hell of a Freeby from the dealer I'd purchased it from. Demonstrate the zero dancing lights before you give it to them, you cannot disable this by yourself so they cannot fein 'no fault found' to you when you get it back. Make sure you test it on collection so you deep know they did something!

How long have you had your car? By not activating your lights correctly during PDI, your car has possibly been non roadworthy (when headlights are required anyway) all along and therefore possibly your insurance along with it! Pure incompetence, who knows what else might not be activated!

As compensation, a free FULL service (all filters and oils + inspection) or cash back would be what I'd be after. It was sold dangerous, you deserve compensation.

• Like 1

Fair comment Blahde 2. Car is 10 weeks old, so I've definitely been lax about this. Problem is that I'm not a regular night driver, so ashamedly just ignored it. However, the lights ( as others have commented ), are pathetic compared to my Mk 11 Combi, so once festivities are over I'll be taking some action.

Fair comment Blahde 2. Car is 10 weeks old, so I've definitely been lax about this. Problem is that I'm not a regular night driver, so ashamedly just ignored it.

That is a reasonable excuse, "I don't drive at night" so how were you to know. And when you did drive at night (over Christmas) that is when you noticed how bad they were.

Another good one is to say that SWMBO is the regular driver, not you, and "she wouldn't notice if the lights were on or not as she only drives on lit roads at 20mph" (just make sure she isn't with you at the time)!

Vor you get it sorted.

Edited by blahde2

re post #19.

Cars commonly fail MOT's at 3 years old because lights are set wrong.

This is not something that went wrong just before the MOT, it can be how the Car was built in the Czech Republic and the lights were aligned, 

then the car is imported to the UK and has a PDI and the alignment is not checked to see how they got Czeched...

Its happened for decades now and Skoda UK have never bothered & would likely say, Never heard of any issues, 

well they might check how many 1st MOT failures of Skoda are from the Headlights being the reason.