Decisions time is coming near

Well my petrol Vrs cost me £24450 when I bought it new back in March 2014 on 0% PCP deal over 3 years. I don't know what it will be worth as a trade in but I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:-

1 Pay the car off in full and keep for another couple of years.

2 Hand the car back to skoda.

3 EIther trade it in against a Nissan qashqai 1.6 petrol variant or a 1.4 petrol Seat ate a and see what the dealers offer me.

The Skoda has only done 6400 miles with a sunroof, heated seats, spare wheel and heated washers. Oh and it's had around 6 new spoilers since new, wonderfull paint reliability on the skoda's?

Well my petrol Vrs cost me £24450 when I bought it new back in March 2014 on 0% PCP deal over 3 years. I don't know what it will be worth as a trade in but I have narrowed it down to 3 choices:-

1 Pay the car off in full and keep for another couple of years.

2 Hand the car back to skoda.

3 EIther trade it in against a Nissan qashqai 1.6 petrol variant or a 1.4 petrol Seat ate a and see what the dealers offer me.

The Skoda has only done 6400 miles with a sunroof, heated seats, spare wheel and heated washers. Oh and it's had around 6 new spoilers since new, wonderfull paint reliability on the skoda's?

6400 or 64000 miles?!

At 6400, I'd keep it for definite. Even at 64,000 I'd be tempted to keep another couple of years - it probably won't lose much more value and is not high enough miles to start being really troublesome. 

Trading now or handing back will see you lose the most IMHO.

Even though most car mags are raving about it...you cant get a SEAT Ateca for about 5 months, no supply so no discount. So I would leave the Ateca for a year or so then there will be big discounts.

If it really has only done 6400 miles..keep it as you'll only get offered 12k.

Whats the GMFV?

I drove altea XL...all I can say is that I hope other Seats are not like this and the entire altea XL was just a one-time, big engineering *hiccup* they made by mistake.

Altea is an old SEAT. Were talking about the new Ateca SUV have you not seen it?

SEATs are just generic VAG cars like Skodas.

They tend to have more interesting styling, denoting their Spanish origin. ..

I know Altea is old and I'm not comparing it with Ateca...simply the point is when I was switching between "old" Skoda Sup and the "old" Seat Altea of a smiliar value, I was rather disappointed if not terrified. The thing handled like a cartload with weird ergonomics/interior to top-up the overall impression. I'm 101% sure new Seats are miles ahead of it...but so is the Skoda - brand made a huge progress last years. Just wondering whether the gap between those brands is closing. Styling is a personal matter again ;)

6'400miles??? And you even ask whether to keep it or not? Unless it's been though some serious problems (spoiler paint is no big deal imo) or is jinxed / cursed, the answer is rather obvious - keep it!

Keep it and sell it private, It will fly off the handle with that milage I would of thought

This. I bought mine at 3 years old and 15k mileage and thought that was low for it's age. 6k is crazy low! I'd do that in 5 months :o

Edited by ahenners

When looking for mine I noticed a hell of a lot of 1-2 year old vrs's with really low mileage I even said to the dealer do people not keep them very long picked mine up with just under 14k miles on it registered Jan 2015.

Mike 

When I was looking for a car 3 years ago I wanted the VRS, as life goes on times and wants change, i will see what I get offered as px and will update in the following weeks to let others know how much their beloved VRS is worth and how much if anything I make out of trading it in if I go down that route.

When I was looking for a car 3 years ago I wanted the VRS, as life goes on times and wants change, i will see what I get offered as px and will update in the following weeks to let others know how much their beloved VRS is worth and how much if anything I make out of trading it in if I go down that route.

Prepare to be disappointed. Even though you've got mega low miles, I'm sure you'll get low-balled on the part-ex. I'd keep it

You should be able to sell that car privately for rather more than your GFMV, so no point in handing it back to Skoda, it would make sense to buy it outright or "maybe" trade it in against something else if you fancy a change but with such low annual mileage I don't see much point in changing cars right now. I wouldn't count on getting great offers from a Skoda dealer for your car as very few Octavia's sold in the UK on PCP deals seem to have any equity in them at all, I know that mine certainly doesn't!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well got a trade in quote from a dealer which was £13000 giving me a deposit of £1800 against a Qashqai, haven't accepted the deal yet as I am now going to see what Seat offer me as a contrast. At present I haven't lost any money but sure as hell haven't made much either. Don't buy options for your car you don't get any money back for them and are a waste, only good for you if you intend to keep the car. Who knows may end up buying the Skoda outright after all.

BTW - Top CAP valuation for a trade in is £13100 max.

Unfortunately used car values on the MkIII Octavia can only be described as woeful.

An £11,450 loss over 33 months (£347 per month) is a bitter pill to swallow, but comes with buying a brand new car and wanting to sell it a short time later.

PCP's are fast being outpaced now by PCH (lease) deals. A vRS can be leased (on the lowest annual mileage of 5,000 miles) for £200 per month (and this is amortised to include the deposit)...

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-car-offers/octavia-vrs-pch/

(* this deal works out at £269 per month but is for 10,000 miles per year, a 5,000 mile deal would easily be £69 per month cheaper).

Over the same 33 month period leasing a vRS would have cost you only £6,600 (all-in, including the deposit), that's £4,850 cheaper and you'd have had two brand new cars in that time (each deal is for 24 months)!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but a PCP on an Octavia is a bad idea (unless you have every intention of buying the car at the end and can take advantage of the deposit contribution and 0% finance).

Edited by silver1011

A Nissan Kumquat will be well disappointing after a VRS.

Please reconsider getting a proper car...lol

Kumquat must be due a facelift soon also, so I would not buy the existing model or the horrible Renault Kadjar cousin.

The Ateca is in short supply, so the offer on that will be poor.

Consider the Tiguan or Q2 or 3 if it must be a too big to park SUV.