2017 F1 General Discussion Topic

camelspyyder

4 hours ago, Coops said:

According to the Chase Carey interview, the costs and ticketing of GP events won't change, but they want to make them more of an event, longer run up I presume.

He also felt that Europe was the heartland of F1 - whether that spells the end of far flung ridiculous locations is anyones guess!

However, he also said that venues can forget paying less for the race, but must work harder at maximising profits...

Last week Silverstone were still considering activating their break clause to get out of their much vaunted 17 year contract

Edited by camelspyyder

Whilst that is true, he has since indicated that Liberty will not cut hosting fees so even "classic" GPs will have to put up or shut up.

However, he did seem to say that Liberty would work with the circuits to maximise the events profitability.

The BRDC are wondering whether to keep paying up or break out of the contract after the 2019 race.

To do that they have to activate the break clause quite soon.

If they do, there is no other circuit in Britain that can, or wants to, host it.

No other British circuit is FIA grade 1, and the owner/operator of the grade 2 circuits (MSV) last week said it has no interest in upgrading either to host F1.

http://formulaspy.com/formula-1/formula-1-news/fia-release-updated-list-of-circuit-grading-14553

Edited by camelspyyder

No more MP4

The new management at McLaren are clearly wanting to sever all possible connections with Ron.  

This years car will not be designated MP4 (Marlboro / Project 4) as all have been since 1981.

(Project Four Racing was Ron's F3/ F2 / Procar team that took over McLaren in 1981)

More of Ron's men moved out of McLaren - Jost Capito has now gone as has team manager Dave Redding.

Another rumoured change is that McLaren might race in their heritage colour scheme of papaya yellow (as seen in testing in 97 & 06) 

It looks very plain (read "slow"), and surprisingly similar to a 2016 F1 car when I was expecting more of a visual change.

Distinct lack of sponsor logos (apart from Ericsson's Dad no doubt) doesn't bode well.

Almost guaranteed to be vying with Haas at the back of the field, and in my book wins the "Team most likely to go out of business next" award.

Edited by camelspyyder

I think that looks gorgeous, but I also rate the Rothmans Williams-Renault as one of the great liveries of all time.

I'm struggling to get motivated for this year's season. It feels like the Schumacher era (albeit that the drivers in the dominant car are allowed to race each other) which turned me off F1 for a long time (and yes, I was also influenced by the fact that him, Briatore and Benetton were a bunch of cheaters!).

Hopefully things will change for the better when we get to the first GP. But if Mercedes run off into the distance in Melbourne I will struggle to stay interested for Round 2.

The schumi year's were way worse. Not only were his team mates not allowed to race, but Ferrari had a veto on other teams innovations, and could even rely on dodgy rulings in their favour to hobble Michelin when they out-performed Bridgestone. 

I think Ferrari and Schumacher's winning records are totally distorted by years of favouritism from Bernie and the FIA.  We don't have that now.

On a positive note, Horner says Renault have made big gains this winter, and the RBR has the best chassis so who knows for 2017?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tweenster said:

I But if Mercedes run off into the distance in Melbourne I will struggle to stay interested for Round 2.

14 hours ago, Coops said:

Kind of agree with you 

You could at least wait until after the inevitable complaint to the Stewards afterwards, see if any changes are required or points deducted

• Administrators

Agree too. It could be a big year.

I'm kind of interested to see multimillionaire's complain... will be on pigeon perch watch with vettle and alonso and hamilton if he's not careful with his youthful wipper snapper! Imagine if redbull scarpa, no pigeons safe in Australia for Dan!