Rear Washer Woes

Hello everyone.

My 2003 Fabia 1.4's rear washer is not working.

Before you suggest it, I've been through the excellent sticky in the technical guides. I was tinkering with my dad the other week and actually spotted that the connector wasn't done in the bulkhead, but the jet was still nowhere to be seen.

Fast forward to the other checks and lo and behold, I'd run the pump and all of a sudden streams of screenwash were coming out of the boot.

After removing the trim, the connector is on just fine, however the fluid is coming from the pump system itself as seen here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Pxw5AEwJbKTjE5NDVIbDZZbzg/view?usp=sharing

I even tried a bit of wd40 and a pin in the jet nozzle to clean out the ming, but no joy :(

I've removed it anyway and am just about to take the front plate off to see if I can see anything obvious.

If it's buggered, I guess I'll need help finding a part number which would be very much appreciated. I'm still quite new to this stuff.

probably best not to publicly admit you were tinkering with your dad.

#countrylife

Anyway, I cracked the motor front facia off and lo and behold the motor section connecting the washer tubing to the jet is completely buggered. I guess it's theoretically possible to fix it but it looks more hassle than its worth.

http://imgur.com/a/mcGut

I've ordered a second hand replacement from a car breaker on ebay. For reference the part number turned out to be 1J6955711G new ones run up to 80 quid in some places  :|

Will keep posted about progress.

• Like 1

probably best not to publicly admit you were tinkering with your dad.

Or openly discussing doing things with mings!

Right, back on topic, there is/was a repair kit of parts available at least for some VWs, and if my memory serves me well, the Fabia motor assembly uses the same kit of bits as a Golf MK? - sorry no more info at the moment there, but I must admit following a thread on this forum a long time ago - when I discovered that the spray nozzle on my wife's previous Polo 9N 2003MY was moving along with the wiper arm - it should stay still pointing upwards!  So I bought the repair for a Golf MK? as advised on that thread - only to discover that the Polo 9N 2003MY needs a similar kit with slightly longer shafts!! So had to order in the correct kit for that car - kit has everything you need to sort this out, but now that that car is out of production, maybe buying NOS or slightly used motor assembly will be cheaper?

Edit:- I'm sure that if you use the search facility, you would find the thread that I used and it had the right (for Fabia) repair kit part number.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Or openly discussing doing things with mings!

Right, back on topic, there is/was a repair kit of parts available at least for some VWs, and if my memory serves me well, the Fabia motor assembly uses the same kit of bits as a Golf MK? - sorry no more info at the moment there, but I must admit following a thread on this forum a long time ago - when I discovered that the spray nozzle on my wife's previous Polo 9N 2003MY was moving along with the wiper arm - it should stay still pointing upwards!  So I bought the repair for a Golf MK? as advised on that thread - only to discover that the Polo 9N 2003MY needs a similar kit with slightly longer shafts!! So had to order in the correct kit for that car - kit has everything you need to sort this out, but now that that car is out of production, maybe buying NOS or slightly used motor assembly will be cheaper?

Edit:- I'm sure that if you use the search facility, you would find the thread that I used and it had the right (for Fabia) repair kit part number.

IIRC the repair kit rose steeply in price; so much so that I paid only ~ £15 more for a new OE motor off ebay than what the kit cost.

Repair kit;

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-wiper-motor-repair-set-38282

Wiper motor for hatch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BOSCH-SEAT-LEON-TOLEDO-MK2-REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-PASSAT-B5-FL-SKODA-FABIA-OEM-/170770421694?hash=item27c2b5d7be:m:mJtrrGchqVVj515L9wwaNEA

Wiper motor for estate (not sure if they differ but just in case)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-SKODA-REAR-WIPER-MOTOR-PART-NO-6Y9955711A-FITS-FABIA-ESTATE-NEW-/282022153939?hash=item41a9d48ed3:g:FJUAAOSw7I5Tw7v4

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/130479-huzzah-my-rear-wiper-jet-no-longer-rotates-with-the-arm/

That is the thread that I was referring to, just in case any kits are now going cheaply on ebay etc.

Hum, that was quite a price hike!

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/130479-huzzah-my-rear-wiper-jet-no-longer-rotates-with-the-arm/

That is the thread that I was referring to, just in case any kits are now going cheaply on ebay etc.

Hum, that was quite a price hike!

See what I mean about rose steeply?! Confused Cheese paid £25 for his kit in 2009. £50 now!

I hope that you have a nice small proper puller to get that rear wiper arm off.

Edit:- and that that breaker did not use a similar tool to remove that motor assembly as the forcing screw would have trashed the fluid tube!

Edited by rum4mo

I hope that you have a nice small proper puller to get that rear wiper arm off.

Edit:- and that that breaker did not use a similar tool to remove that motor assembly as the forcing screw would have trashed the fluid tube!

No, I didn't use one of those :/ which screw do you mean? it was a bit of a wrestle to get it off as it had rusted on. WD40 and a wiggle got it off eventually.

However, the tube must have been trashed anyway, as the leak situation shown in my first post was before I'd even thought about taking it off.

I was meaning the one you are buying as nothing really matters about the tube of the one you are removing - it is scrap - though completely repairable with the mentioned kit.

The forcing screw on the small puller that is usually needed to get these wiper arms off - especially wipers that are mounted directly on to the rear glass screen.

I replaced my rotten broken metal tube by removing the gearbox so I could (carefully) drill out the bit of tube that is moulded in. Then aralditing in a new length of tube that I bought on Ebay (3.5mm K & S Brass Tubing, thin wall, 300mm length - £3). I refitted the gearbox on the window before the glue set. That ensured the glue set with the pipe perpendicular. I also had to replace the o ring as it was destroyed. Ebay again (3mm x 0.75 silicon 70 "0" ring - £3.50 for qty 10). I put 2 or 3 on for luck, with a bit of grease. These bits are still available on Ebay. The repair has lasted 3 years and still works!

• Like 1

The forcing screw on the small puller that is usually needed to get these wiper arms off - especially wipers that are mounted directly on to the rear glass screen.

Ah I see! I'm glad I didn't use a puller now! I did have to give it a few whacks with a large spanner to knock out the rust and rot that had fused it to the shaft of the motor. As long as I clean the replacement up it should go on fine :)

That's a pretty sick fix Doily. I was thinking along those lines but I'm not great at that stuff. I guess I can give it a shot now I have a spare to play with.

Hum, I kept that thought to myself, but hay/hoy, someone must get lucky, I've always taken a cautious approach to buying used parts which had exibited typical "early life failure" in my cars and in others.

Etka page here:-  Here

Look in part numbers 5 for the repair kit listed....

Yes I think that all this is known about, it is just that the price of that repair kit has been said to have shot up over the years while the price of the complete assembly - though maybe aftermarket, has dropped down far enough to compete with the repair kit price.  Just another inconvenient fact to defeat "repairers" and further the ends of "replacers" - having said that, if you were not handy with your hands, getting a garage to fit that repair kit would add quite another bit to the bill.

Well, my replacement arrived today, and was fitted in five minutes, and am pleased to announce that I have a functioning rear washer jet once again!

Unfortunately, my car likes it so much, the rear wiper doesn't stop now  :dull:

It starts wiping the moment I turn on the electrics, and doesn't turn off even after giving itself a few passes after squirting the jet.

Phase 2 begins! Any ideas of whats going on and what to check? I was going to simply unplug the connector and plug it in again, but after that I'd be stumped. Is there such thing as a moisture sensor? Modern cars have them but I doubt my 2003 has the technology!

Edited by itsdanwatson

I'm not saying this is the issue you may be having tho...

It could just be the connector, maybe try WD40 on it and maybe plug in the old motor to see if it does the same thing, then you can eliminate the cars wiring to be the fault.

I've forgotten, but as long as both these assemblies are identical it might be possible to swop just the wiper motor across to that new assembly - and so avoid taking the washer tube area apart and breaking something or have the seals leaking when it is all re-assembled.

Edit:- if you do chose to disassemble the shaft/tube area, make sure that you use maybe silicon grease on the outer of the washer tube, recover and re-use the best of the set of O-ring seals and transfer some grease on to the working area of the quadrant. Remove the spray nozzle first - it should pull out.

Edited by rum4mo