Windscreen water repellant

nugbuv

I use Autoglym glass polish on inside and outside of the screen when needed. The wiper blades glide gracefully after use. From memory you cannot use this on plastic, ie the headlamps.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I just use the windscreen wipers.

The wiper options for a single pass, automatic, continuous and faster (coupled with keeping the washer bottle topped up) are all I need.

• Like 2

I've been using this for the last few months and have been impressed with the results.

Rain‑X 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent

Easy to use and effective.

I've used rainx in the past but I find the mer equivalent less greasy and easier to apply.

May be because I'm better at it now with practice.

It does need reapplying quite often to be effective.

I've used rainx in the past but I find the mer equivalent less greasy and easier to apply.

May be because I'm better at it now with practice.

It does need reapplying quite often to be effective.

Sorry

What's the equivalent?

Sorry

What's the equivalent?

MER Mist Glass cleaner I'm guessing, not really the same thing, just a cleaner rather than a repellant.

I've used Rain-X for years, but as previously mentioned it does require constant re application, and a fairly steeply raked windscreen

to work effectively below 50MPH IMO .

Edited by TruckbusUK
  • Like 1

I used Rain X once, within a couple of weeks the wipers started to judder particularly at each end of the wipe. Took me forever to 'clean' Rain X off the screen and stop the juddering, or perhaps it eventually wore off, but I would never use it again.

• Like 1

It's mer rain repellant.

Says rainaway on the bottle.

Thought they had stopped making that several years ago, sure its no longer listed on the merproducts web site, interesting if its still about.

• Like 1

With this product you just use it as a cleaner and it adds the protection without all the old 'do it on a warm day and buff off forever', this wipes off very easily. I've used the old Rain-x and had problems as described above this one does make a difference for me.

With this product you just use it as a cleaner and it adds the protection without all the old 'do it on a warm day and buff off forever', this wipes off very easily. I've used the old Rain-x and had problems as described above this one does make a difference for me.

Does it work at low speed ernieb? ... I have always found Rain-X to be not very effective at low speeds (<50mph) if the screen is not steeply raked, never a problem at 50+ on any car.

Edited by TruckbusUK

Thought they had stopped making that several years ago, sure its no longer listed on the merproducts web site, interesting if its still about.

It's a very old bottle I have. Nearly empty.

Just checked and it appears your right it does not seem available any more.

I will have to choose rain x probably.

It's a very old bottle I have. Nearly empty.

Just checked and it appears your right it does not seem available any more.

I will have to choose rain x probably.

I hate when a product you use and like disappears .... a bit like Alexanders Clear-a-lex powder .... its like proverbial rocking hosed poo trying to find it, and its sooooo much better than the liquid versions, and could be added/mixed to any other screen-wash you were using.

As Rain-X is not to be used on plastics this is what I use on my motorcycle visors and screen.
It works very well and is designed for plastics.
S05274NAT_1_Large.jpg

Does it work at low speed ernieb? ... I have always found Rain-X to be not very effective at low speeds (<50mph) if the screen is not steeply raked, never a problem at 50+ on any car.

Yes, I'd say it does and I now use it on all the windows, front side and back. The rain does self clean the glass and I've found that when there's heavy frost about the glass appears to scrape easier.

I've used it a number of times and it gets better with each application.

• Like 1

Yes, I'd say it does and I now use it on all the windows, front side and back. The rain does self clean the glass and I've found that when there's heavy frost about the glass appears to scrape easier.

I've used it a number of times and it gets better with each application.

I think I might go back to constantly renewal and see if that avoids the dreaded judder........I'm addicted to 'it'