Who or what is the biggest threat to SKODA?

ColinD

Hello, not been on here for donkeys but I thought I'd chip in.

Was a mk1 fabia vrs owner, great car bad dealers! 

Currently am a long suffering owner of a Audi a4 and the experience has been terrible.

More Bad dealers & poorly made cars are forcing me away from the group plus all the stigma of driving a diesel gate car that has lost most of its value in the past year or so, Despite spending around £4k to keep in on the road over the past 2/3 years! 

Looking at a boring Mazda 6 then I can save heaps of money to put towards something fun! 

After many years I said goodbye to my Roomster 2006 Sport (1.9 tdi) due to diesel gate (hey, VW, are you joking us all?) and the traffic restrictions in my region (north of Italy).

I've moved to a Toyota Auris hybrid: great car mileage (it need less gasoline than the diesel) and great usability with automatic transmission.

Last but not least, I do not get noises from the engine (but this is usual changing from a diesel to a gasoline car).

In my Skoda life I got some annoying problems but never serious and I loved my car but Skoda are too expensive nowadays: they sell you like a VW but handle you as the last in the line, ever.

I sold my Roomster for 1500€ (107.000 km, 11 years) and it wasn't very fast.

That's my experience.

When the Octy got written off my first choice for replacement was a Passat or another Octy, it was only that the wifey (being disabled) found it difficult getting in and out of the new Octy and Passat (possibly lower than a mk2 Octy?) that we decided on the Yeti.  

To be honest I was never a big VW fan, was always into fords, parents and grandparents always had skoda’s (pre vw) but they never really appealed to me. Had so much stick as a kid in school that parents drove skoda’s lol, but having been a passenger in a mk2 Octy my cousin went out and bought a VRS, having driven that I went out to buy one too.  Skoda have come a long way in recent years however, I think their success may become their own downfall as they try to creep prices up but will soon find themselves pricing themselves out of the market range at which made them successful. I may be wrong but that’s how I see it.  

• Like 1

I hear stories that one of the reasons why there is not a Fabia VRS in the current Fabia range is due to VW not wanting a hot hatch rival.

I strayed away from the Skoda brand a couple of years back as I thought the styling just looked like a VW, but glad I am back, but the biggest threat I think is Dacia and I have to admit I have looked at the Logan mcv a few times but  it was the skoda that won out for me.

Davy

Vorsprun Durch Technik, that does not seem to translate well to CZ from German, or mean much to VW Group.

Over a decade of producing the DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch. Millions recalled or Service Campaigns, 2009-2013, 

then another 2013-2015 on some DQ200.

Skoda has produced over 2 million of them, and still owners of ones bought since 2015 are finding issues, maybe in small numbers, 

but still SKODA mess them about, and if out of warranty you are on your own.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/439395-the-story-of-the-famous-dq200-clutch-slip/?page=6 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just traded in my Citigo at the end of its PCP, it was my first car so this was a new experience. In the end I got a Fabia for basically what I paid for the Citigo.

But I did look at a Seat and Hyundai. I also really like the Ford Fiesta, that would probably have been my preference - but it would have cost much more than my Fabia S. If the money was the same I would probably have a Fiesta in the drive right now

20 minutes ago, tiber said:

I just traded in my Citigo at the end of its PCP, it was my first car so this was a new experience. In the end I got a Fabia for basically what I paid for the Citigo.

But I did look at a Seat and Hyundai. I also really like the Ford Fiesta, that would probably have been my preference - but it would have cost much more than my Fabia S. If the money was the same I would probably have a Fiesta in the drive right now

and you probably would live to regret it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FurryFriend

Going right back to Colin's original post. 

We'll be buying an import. There's absolutely nothing in the British car marketplace that appeals at all. 

Probably a Nissan Elgrand or similar. Looking at several options to purchase as we need a second vehicle again. 

Skoda isn't an option anymore for us. 

Edited by FurryFriend

• 2 weeks later...

As a company car driver covering 80k yearly easily I've had Audi, VW Passat , Superb MkII and currently BMW 3 series , in my opinion the mkII was a fabulous car , all the extras as standard in the elegance spec , MkIII has removed lots of "extras " in the new model , previously the passat was way underspecced at HL compared to skoda but now it's better specced and cheaper , Skoda dealers have changed from friendly sales staff to unhelpful big headed sales who think they are selling rolls Royce.

even though the MKIII is a great car,  even at its top spec it's getting too expensive , simple things like keyless entry or electric boot closing are standard on many cars now , BMW , Audi. Merc but extras on superb .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The April UK car sales figures are out.  

threat seems to be from those that have wrong engine in production and cant deliver to the 2 thirds that require petrol quickly

April 2018 

diesel 51,377 (30.6%)

petrol 107,169 (63.8%)

others 9365 (5.6%)

Edited by SurreyJohn
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tompiper said:

Volkswagen.  However, I wish Skoda would produce a user friendly,  understandable and complete User Manual.

......not requiring a magnifying glass.

there's so much sharing of parts, platforms and processes between the different arms of the VW group that I can't see them really splitting off one of them to go forward on their own.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 12:57, Skodaboy1983 said:

Do you think if VW pulled out of owning skoda, seat that these brands of car would survive?

Davy

A. Probably not unless they were purchased by one of the Chinese manufacturers.

B. Why would VW want to sell either brand, they are both profitable, & AFAIK Skoda's profit %age per vehicle is much higher than

the VW brand.

C. As has been said elsewhere, power-train manufacture  & car assembly is undertaken in multiple locations / countries, separation 

would be a major & expensive nightmare. (Audi & VW products aren't always made in Audi / VW branded factories in Germany......)

DC

• Like 1

VW Group can not keep pithing off suppliers while biging up how well they do, increased sales, profits, investments in future technology, ignore past failings.

All this nonsense with seat frames not available for the Karoq, engines discontinued or actually just the WLTP tested engines actually available is just the VW group not being 

open and honest about what is going on with cars people want, order and then are left wondering about.

Supplier Prevent holds Volkswagen’s feet to the fire.mhtml

• 1 month later...