Day1 New Superb - 2 warranty jobs booked already

So I took delivery of my new Superb L&K Estate this morning and within 90 mins I am sat in a local Skoda dealers with 2 warranty job cards.

1) the central speaker vibrates like it is has blown to low mid range sounds at 30% plus volume. Upon inspection, the garage confirmed this is definitely not how it should be, but I was told there are none of these in stock in the U.K. which the manager suspected indicated either a faulty batch which has been discarded or a lot of others with simi

ilar problems. This way take some time to get the parts to fit. So much for Canton. 

2) When trying to operate the blind spot / and rear detection system I kept getting 'sensor error'. The garage are confused and don't know how immediately to solve saying they had never seen this before. Sensors are showing faults and threats garage think it is a mirror which needs replacing and has to be ordered. Apparently system should have been checked on PDI (wasn't) and 

Having big regrets about having taking the plunge to buy Skoda. Incredible that they could send a car out of the factory where core / standard systems don't work at all on day 1 - and had indeed not been tested. Reminiscent of British Leyland / Rover for those old enough to remember.

When I bought my Octavia I was less than 5 miles down the road when various warnings went off and I had to turn round and take it back.

there was an issue with one of the ABS sensors (which also controls the tyre pressure warnings) which only presented itself above a certain speed where the difference in the sensor readings had an effect.

Certain things you would expect them to check, others (like mine) you can't expect them to do a 60+ mph run on everything that leaves the factory

My trust in the brand was influenced more by how quickly the dealer rectified the issue and made sure I was not inconvenienced, than the fact that one component on my new car was faulty.

Now transpires BOTH parts require to the effect the repair are or back parts and out of stock so the repair timescale is currently indeterminate. What a total embarrassment for Skoda, their quality systems and the dealership, that in 2017 they produce cars with central faulty systems and knackered speakers to leave the showroom. 

The is a shame mccrosss, I know this sort of thing takes a shine off a new car experience.  I hope it is fixed as soon as possible and you can start to enjoy the car as Skoda originally intended.

This is less than ideal I know, I am waiting on a petrol L & K estate, it is built and on its way to Emden in Northern Germany.  Lets see how I get on with mine.

I have heard friends of mine that have bought Mercs and BMW's with issues from the factory, you do wonder what checking goes on before it leaves the factory.  My final thought is, and no consolation, Skoda aren't the only ones.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Reject it now.

And drive what? My car was a factory order - not possible to get a new L&K quickly having waited 14 weeks for mine. Still gobsmacked that for all their vaunting and pontificating on quality / luxury this could happen. 

I will await their response in terms of repair and goodwill before deciding whether this will be both my first and last skoda. 

Collected a new Octavia Scout in Jan, also 2 faults on day 1, bluetooth handsfree mic faulty and steering wheel not centered!

Microphone replaced under warranty but still waiting for an alignment check ref the steering, very poor quality control at the factory.

Other than that the car is fabulous

42 minutes ago, mccrosss said:

And drive what?

Your old car, just get it back and start again.

If you get other issues you will always regret keeping it.

If it was me I would just forget 2 minor issues like a speaker and parking sensor. If I got an engine light on I would definitely be rejecting.

And I have been waiting over 3 months now, hopefully be with me early March. Having to wait does not mean you should expect shoddy quality.

Thats not good news OP, but these should be simple enough things to resolve. (once they have the parts)

In the meantime, I don't have a canton system, but you maybe able to amend the fade / speaker system to disable the front speaker until its sorted... also same with the lane detection, just disable it for the moment.

The factory dont check every possible option on a car as part of quality control, it will be a law of averages....  these also is same for the PDI to a degree.

Are Skoda keeping hold of the car or you running it until alls sorted ?

How does the fault with the central speaker manifest ? It vibrates when it gets louder or when you accelerate the engine or how exactly?

i also have canton and and car was manufactured mid january and have a small vibration when accelerating around 1800 rpm so not the central speaker but still a buzzing sound...

thx

Edited by Corbu33

2 hours ago, Corbu33 said:

How does the fault with the central speaker manifest ? It vibrates when it gets louder or when you accelerate the engine or how exactly?

i also have canton and and car was manufactured mid january and have a small vibration when accelerating around 1800 rpm so not the central speaker but still a buzzing sound...

thx

This sounds idiotic, but is a genuine question - do you have a pair of glasses in the ceiling holder? A buzz drove me mad for a week until I found it was my sunglasses vibrating!

Not applicable to the OP, obviously.

4 hours ago, starfighter said:

You would get laughed out of any UK dealer trying to reject a car for a slight speaker distortion and a warning from a 3rd tier safety system. Give the dealer a chance to rectify the faults. 

It is rather more than a 'slight distortion', as the whole sound across the front of the car sounds like it coming from a burnt out speaker at 30% plus volume. Raises big questions as to fitting or quality control of parts- given robotics likely to be the latter.

Whether Blind spot recognition and rear traffic alert are second or  third tier is not really material - the bald fact is that they have produced a car where standard features of the advertised trim level are not available on 30k car from day 1 due to defective manufacturing. 

Edited by mccrosss

2 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

This sounds idiotic, but is a genuine question - do you have a pair of glasses in the ceiling holder? A buzz drove me mad for a week until I found it was my sunglasses vibrating!

Not applicable to the OP, obviously.

I wish  hadn't had the chance to put anything in the car - it was 1 hour old with 2 warranty claims which depend on currently unobtainable parts! 

3 hours ago, RickTT said:

Thats not good news OP, but these should be simple enough things to resolve. (once they have the parts)

In the meantime, I don't have a canton system, but you maybe able to amend the fade / speaker system to disable the front speaker until its sorted... also same with the lane detection, just disable it for the moment.

The factory dont check every possible option on a car as part of quality control, it will be a law of averages....  these also is same for the PDI to a degree.

Are Skoda keeping hold of the car or you running it until alls sorted ?

Thanks - no I am running it with whisper quiet sound - which of course affects the stereo and phone calls etc etc not to mention error warnings for sensors and mirrors issues re blind spot 

27 minutes ago, mccrosss said:

Thanks - no I am running it with whisper quiet sound - which of course affects the stereo and phone calls etc etc not to mention error warnings for sensors and mirrors issues re blind spot 

If its going to be any period of time, i would be asking them to unplug the center speaker.

The dashboard if i am not mistaken is already assembled by a supplier and skoda in the manufacturing process just "attache it" to the car so i think they cannot check even if they want...think is the same with all car makers... but this of course shoudn't stop skoda complaing to their supplier but maybe not many type of complaints like yours... for ex i have canton also and no issue, sounds excellent i would buy it again.

OP - Crap news and I bet you're gutted.  I would be!  

I'm picking up mine in 3 weeks and it's fitted with a Canton so it will be interesting to see if it's a more common issue/dodgy batch from a supplier/etc.  

I hope you get those issues rectified to a satisfactory standard.  I would be asking for like for like spec courtesy car whilst they fully rectify the issue.   I had two test drives of a Sportline cancelled as the dealer needed to provide their demo to a customer who had some issues on a new Octavia vRS. 

Best of luck

Some might call that Warranty Jobs, 

They are poor Manufacturing and Quality Control Faults that allowed a new vehicle to leave the factory with them but be picked up on before or during a PDI. 

and before hand over of a vehicle.

The Manufacturers Warranty should not have even started running when these faults were picked up.

So the Dealership were the ones in keeper ship of the vehicle and if an New Owners gets it with these faults the new owner needs spend nothing on the expense of going to a dealership or anything else, get Fuel Money, loss of hourly rate money or anything else and the Dealership can get that back, call it Warranty if anyone likes, bit it is Skoda CZ having to pay up on 'Poor Quality Control', 

It will be Skoda UK that pays though.

Edited by Offski