Phone call from Skoda UK ref Emissions

glenn_btn

Has anyone else had a call from Skoda UK trying to get them to take their car in for the emissions fix?

I told them it's going now where near until any problems have been ironed out as with some reported issues on VW's. He said it was the 1st he knew and would have to speak to his supervisor and call me back again.

Guess I won't be hearing from him again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glenn_btn said:

Has anyone else had a call from Skoda UK trying to get them to take their car in for the emissions fix?

I told them it's going now where near until any problems have been ironed out as with some reported issues on VW's. He said it was the 1st he knew and would have to speak to his supervisor and call me back again.

Guess I won't be hearing from him again.

Yep, I had exactly the same conversation tonight except the guy I spoke to said there was nothing wrong with the update & it only updated the ecu. Didn't affect anything on the engine. I politley told him I wasn't having it done end of.

Edited by anderson99
spelling mistake
  • Like 2

I really doubt these people are from Skoda UK. More likely, they are ringing 'on behalf of' Skoda UK.  Reading from a script by night to supplement their daytime income from selling mobile phone contracts.

Mine was in for service the other week and I declined it then. They mentioned I'd have to sign a form to formally declare I'd declined. On picking up the car they'd forgotten about it, so I guess I'll be in for a phone call too.

I thought they may have done it on the sly but I checked on the VIN checker and it's still outstanding and is running as before. Certainly a one way trip I have no intention of making.

I had the phone call yesterday evening and got the impression that it was a call centre type of setup. It seemed quite a hard sell I thought as I was asked twice to book an appointment right then even though I'd said I didn't want it done at this time and was told I'd also have my "satellite system" updated and any other updates free of charge. I pointed out that I didn't have a "satellite system" in my car and when I asked the caller if he knew of any likely future concerns regarding the life if the EGR or DPF the call was ended.

S_M

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Had the call just now, following a second letter from Skoda UK which has remained largely unread.

Firstly, the guy asked me to confirm a few security details.  I asked him why he needed me to provide this information, since he had called me.  He gave up on that, and instead asked if I had received the letter.  I told him that I had.  He asked if I had made an appointment to have the fix applied.  I said that I hadn't.  He asked if I was planning to.  I said no.  He asked why.  I told him that as far as I was concerned there is nothing wrong with the car.  He thanked me for my time and rang off.

I don't see any need to be unpleasant to these people, to try to make a point or to 'get one over' on them.  They're call centre agents: they know nothing about the technical details, and aren't going to be able to answer questions on that subject.  All they're tasked with doing is to find out whether the postal notification campaign is being effective, and to remind/prompt people that the fix is available.  If you make it clear that you're aware of it but don't want it, that's their job done.

Although, having said that, all they actually need to do is ask if you've received the letter. They do not need to ask if you have, or intend to, have your engine ECU re-written.

2 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Although, having said that, all they actually need to do is ask if you've received the letter. They do not need to ask if you have, or intend to, have your engine ECU re-written.

I had the call too yesterday. Said I'd read their latest plea but was having none of it. Quoted 'Honest John' source re problems with Tiguans. Could have been talking to the wall!. Absolutely clueless. 

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 23:51, PaveyArk said:

I really doubt these people are from Skoda UK. More likely, they are ringing 'on behalf of' Skoda UK.  Reading from a script by night to supplement their daytime income from selling mobile phone contracts.

Mine was in for service the other week and I declined it then. They mentioned I'd have to sign a form to formally declare I'd declined. On picking up the car they'd forgotten about it, so I guess I'll be in for a phone call too.

I thought they may have done it on the sly but I checked on the VIN checker and it's still outstanding and is running as before. Certainly a one way trip I have no intention of making.

Even if they were employees of Skoda UK I doubt they would know any more. They would just repeat what they have been told on high.

The only folks who are really interested in knowing and understanding the facts are enthusiasts like those on here who buy their own cars and want to keep them running like they were when they bought them.

I also want my £3000 compensation from the VAG group for lying and trying to deceive me.  

Not had ANY phone call yet, and it's been sometime since I had any written correspondence from them.  :dull:

Got the call today. They actually booked me in for a call back on Monday from their "technical team" to explain it further (after I said I didn't want to book it in because I had not been given any compelling reason to do so).

7 hours ago, weasley said:

They actually booked me in for a call back on Monday from their "technical team" to explain it further

Please do let us know how that goes.  I would be genuinely astonished and impressed if they manage to unearth someone who can tell you anything worth knowing.

Personally, I'd be much more interested to speak to someone who could commit to Skoda providing adequate restitution if 'the fix' did make the car worse.  I can't imagine that they could promise to undo it: that would be returning the car to a configuration which they shouldn't have sold in the first place.  So, replace it with a car with a EURO6 engine, then?  Thought not...

The problem is between VAG and the various regulatory authorities in the countries they sell into.  This exercise is about them trying to satisfy those authorities that they are doing as much as they reasonably can to rectify the situation that they managed to manoeuvre themselves into.

I don't for a moment believe that Skoda "lied" to me, and I'm certainly not going to encourage some ambulance-chasing lawyer to try and get me 'compensation' for something that I don't believe has happened.  As far as I'm concerned I'm quite happy with the car that I bought: it does exactly what I expected of it.  Only if they insist on doing something to it that breaks it would I feel entitled to some kind of recompense.  But that's not likely to happen because as things stand, they can't insist.  My vehicle is 100% owned by me: nothing gets done to it that I don't want, and there's diddly-squat that they can do about that.

• Like 4

This 'fix' is for VAG's benefit to get them off the hook for their admitted 'cheating'  - as owners we are pawns in this game of chess. If VAG persuade all (some) of us to take the 'medicine', they can possibly claim penance?

Cynic? Moi?

As said above, my car runs just fine, so I'm happy to decline the invitation :)

5 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Please do let us know how that goes.  I would be genuinely astonished and impressed if they manage to unearth someone who can tell you anything worth knowing.

Personally, I'd be much more interested to speak to someone who could commit to Skoda providing adequate restitution if 'the fix' did make the car worse.  I can't imagine that they could promise to undo it: that would be returning the car to a configuration which they shouldn't have sold in the first place.  So, replace it with a car with a EURO6 engine, then?  Thought not...

The problem is between VAG and the various regulatory authorities in the countries they sell into.  This exercise is about them trying to satisfy those authorities that they are doing as much as they reasonably can to rectify the situation that they managed to manoeuvre themselves into.

I don't for a moment believe that Skoda "lied" to me, and I'm certainly not going to encourage some ambulance-chasing lawyer to try and get me 'compensation' for something that I don't believe has happened.  As far as I'm concerned I'm quite happy with the car that I bought: it does exactly what I expected of it.  Only if they insist on doing something to it that breaks it would I feel entitled to some kind of recompense.  But that's not likely to happen because as things stand, they can't insist.  My vehicle is 100% owned by me: nothing gets done to it that I don't want, and there's diddly-squat that they can do about that.

I kind of agree about the 'Ambulance Chasing' - this practice isn't as bad as America and hopefully never will be.  I think they should however be extending the warranty on any parts impacted by the fix.  Also, if the scandal has had a marked impact on residual values, then there may be grounds for some sort of monetary compensation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Only if they insist on doing something to it that breaks it would I feel entitled to some kind of recompense.  But that's not likely to happen because as things stand, they can't insist.  My vehicle is 100% owned by me: nothing gets done to it that I don't want, and there's diddly-squat that they can do about that.

Skoda can't insist, you are correct, but the DVSA might. Skoda are creating a paper trail that if someone decides to investigate further and take action on the owners of vehicles that do not comply with the regulations for road use, they can use this to demonstrate they did all they could to notify you and correct the issue and the ball will be in your court as to why you are knowingly driving a vehicle that does not conform to the emissions regulations, legally no different than when people chop out their DPFs. I'm not suggesting this is likely, at least not forseeably, but I expect this is why they are asking for signatures and other concrete confirmation when people decline the corrective work.

• Like 1

^^^ 

"you are knowingly driving a vehicle that does not conform to the emissions regulations" 

Just had a thought......I have remapped my Mk2 Superb before the 'FIX' applied so it will not be done, its passed an mot since the mapping, why are we (the public) allowed to change the ECU map from standard supplied at manufacture?

Pete

Because you are in the UK, other EU & European / Scandinavian counties might not allow you to.

Huskoda,

^^^ All lovely, but the UK Government so far are letting the Tail (VW) wag the Dog.  No DfT having the DVSA declare Recalls because they are not treating the Defeat Device as being Illegal.  Well not yet until maybe the EU Commission take the UK and other countries to court, and maybe take 

their selves to court.

There are no laws broken seemingly by VW in the EU / Europe.  So no broken by owners of vehicles as VW sold them.

As to the VW Group asking for Owners / Keepers to sign anything, that is someones choice to sign or accept or even to use VW Group Approved Dealers & Workshops.

If they want a signature you ask for their Senior Directors and the VW Groups signed document setting out their part in the mis-selling of illegal products and 

their actions to rectify this and how they will compensate you.

'Simply Clever'  you are dealing with a proven dishonest corporation.  Get everything from them in writing as to what happens if some issues arise after 

they carry out applying 'New Engine Management' to your vehicle.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

The way I read the info is that when the wheels are not turning ant the steering is not turned the car bangs out less crap into the air so as far as Vosa and dvla are concerned will it matter