Servicing and keys

I have had several software updates & never left them the 2nd key.

I have never heard of this with any manufacturer before.

This should only be necessary if they are actually replacing the hardware where the key information is stored & then there should usually be a diagnostic routine to "upload/download" the important information.

Sounds dodgy to me....

Do you need both active keys to be able to program a 3rd key to the VAG systems?

The only reason they'd need both keys is if they were to perform an immobiliser adaption for whatever reason. There's no update that I can think of that would require that action.

You can pair a new key with only 1 of the originals, there's no need to have them both present. 

26 minutes ago, GingerJuan51 said:

Thank you gentlemen. 

Seemed a bit strange to me too. I shall be 'forgetting' the second key. They can update it when I get there if it is required. 

I'd be "forgetting" the garage if I thought something seemed dodgy. 

• Like 3

Was it this forum or another where I read about cars being stolen by perpetrators who had keys (there was CCTV footage) and so no alarm, nothing?

Having said that, every time you hand over your keys (just the one set) at a dealership you're at the mercy of them; it only takes one renegade employee.......

Trust nobody,

not the Valet Parking, the car valeter, the tyre fitter, the MOT Tester, the Tracker Fitter, the Roadside assistance services, the dealership parts store, sales staff, workshop or the person reading your VIN through the windscreen.  or the one with a centre punch.

All out to steal your car the chancers.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 3

I was not serious, but any of the above can have an expensive habit and be responsible for your vehicle going without your own keys being taken.

Even trades people that do work in your house or work when the keys are about.

Nicking cars is as easy as pie, especially the ones with a key secreted not very secretly in the glove box.

Would appear on balance no one has any idea why both keys would be needed.  So they'll get one set and then need to present a cogent reason for needing the second.  

Sadly I'm too cynical, these days, about why someone would want anything 'personal'  without a clear and sensible reason.

13 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

Was it this forum or another where I read about cars being stolen by perpetrators who had keys (there was CCTV footage) and so no alarm, nothing?

Having said that, every time you hand over your keys (just the one set) at a dealership you're at the mercy of them; it only takes one renegade employee.......

It was here, someone had there Octy taken off their driveway without any alarm.

If i remember right, there were several VAG cars taken from the same street on the same night.

This was why I asked about how many keys needed to program another to the car.

Edited by Gabbo

On ‎17‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 20:48, James@RRGRochdale said:

The only reason they'd need both keys is if they were to perform an immobiliser adaption for whatever reason. There's no update that I can think of that would require that action.

You can pair a new key with only 1 of the originals, there's no need to have them both present. 

With only 1 key, can you program a new key to the immobilizer as well? (i.e. unlock the car & drive it away)

Or does 1 key just give you access to reprogram another for the remote fob open/close etc