Led headlight bulbs

Hi everyone I've got a mk2 fl and was wondering if it's straight forward to the headlight bulbs over for some led ones. Is this possible and would they need coding etc. Has anyone already done this 

Edited by samnjarv

It's not worth it.

The light output from H7 based LED's is rubbish in comparison to a halogen bulb. Assuming your car has halogens, I would stick to using uprated bulbs such as nightbreakers and x-tremevisions.

If you really want more light then you try the legal route and retrofit factory xenons as I have:

Otherwise you can use a HID kit and relay harness (to protect the BCM) as Mike has. Just be aware that this isn't road legal (doesn't meet ECE regs):

If you really want better lights go the hid and relay way i done that last year with my fl and its passed mots and never had any issues with police. I tried led bulbs but they really are terrible tried 2 sets and both were very bright but they never threw the light a decent distance the halogens were much better. 

• Like 1

Agree with the above, HID is better in dipped beams where beam pattern is extremely important, heed the warnings about installing kits and use a relay as fried control modules seem reasonably common

I have LED bulbs in my high beam and they function very well, but the beam pattern is different to halogens or HIDs, both of which I've used previously...

Hi all,

There are factory fitted xenon headlights with dynamic bending system (AFS I) in my OCTAVIA 2009 .

Does it mean it can get upgraded to AFS II with recoding?

Will it worth or it will lose someway beam patterns?

7 hours ago, AkisVH said:

Hi all,

There are factory fitted xenon headlights with dynamic bending system (AFS I) in my OCTAVIA 2009 .

Does it mean it can get upgraded to AFS II with recoding?

Will it worth or it will lose someway beam patterns?

AFSII doesn't change the beam pattern, it just moves the beam alignment around to give city/highway modes and possibly rain/fog modes (I've never checked).

It'll depend what you've got installed, have you got a VCDS autoscan?

Good morning Langers2k,

Thanks for your time!

Yes I do have VagCom somehow old version few years ago.

Want to check anything?

As far as I know AFS II has 5 or 6 beam patterns like:

0-15km/h , 15-40km/h , 40-90km/h , 90-120km/h , 120-...km/h , and rain pattern.

Am I correct?

If you need me to pass you any info please let know.

Regards

Akis

Drop me a PM will a full autoscan and I'll take a look.

AFSI and AFSII does not change the beam pattern as it can't, there is no physical way for the projectors to do so.

They can move the projectors up/down and left/right to alter the beam alignment. This is most obvious in city mode where the drivers side headlight will move down and out to illuminate the other footpath. In motorway mode, it'll lift the projectors to give more range. There might be other modes as well but I've not noticed or recorded what's happening.

Newer cars with xenons and dynamic/smart light assist have a roller shutter in the projector, they can use this to alter the beam pattern. Some cars with LED based headlights can do the same by adjusting the brightness of each LED. This isn't possible with the MK2 FL Octavia or MK2 Superb as the hardware isn't there.

You can see the DLA/SLA roller shutter in action here:

Skoda DLA/SLA marketing video:

Are they safe to use? As in will they damage the bcm in the car like an unharnessed hid kit? 

Also do led headlights needs programming or just a straight fit?

8 hours ago, lDanl said:

Are they safe to use? As in will they damage the bcm in the car like an unharnessed hid kit? 

There is a risk of BCM damage depending how well designed the kit is and it will need programming. Using a harness is probably the safest thing.

I wouldn't recommend leds as they won't be as good as decent halogens. You might get more foreground light but you'll lose distance light where it's most useful.

If you fit led or hid in to halogen projectors it won't be road legal so if you do fit either, go hid as the results will be better.

10 hours ago, lDanl said:

As far as I know, they need different optics. If you just replace your existing halogens with those, other drivers might not be happy...

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys regarding led bulbs we have just fitted my txvs08 led h7 bulbs with built in fan and driver into my mates 59 plate octavia vrs pre fl as his has maxidot and mind does not as my warning light is already on off my led number plate bulbs so far so good no warning as of yet on my mates running the led h7s and i must say they are mint  and look awesome to as i am new to having a octavia vrs how will these cause damage to the bcm and what does the bcm actually do thanks kevin

On 04/03/2017 at 10:25, Jevpls said:

As far as I know, they need different optics. If you just replace your existing halogens with those, other drivers might not be happy...

The main issue is the position of the light source. It needs to replicate the location of the halogen bulbs light source for the pattern to be anything close to acceptable. 

That is why the more expensive led bulbs have only one led. Might look like less light but they are designed to be as close to the oem light source as possible