Excuse my bad English...

I had my 16-year old daughter for some practice driving. As she turned 16 today it was a premiere tour. She did splendid, but when she tried to park the car... Well I had been on the edge all the time but now probably feeling a bit on the safe side. So when she forgot to hit the brakes, I was a bit slow with the handbrake and well... Bumper, Headlight, Wing and Bonnet was dented by a light post. Even the windshield washer fluid container (is it called that in English?) got rupted or tored. 

• The wing replacing seems to be, well not easy but doable. http://www.mediafire.com/file/dwyz09tvplj/elemente_caroserie.pdf section 50-2 seems to cover it all, exept from how to make the glue or what ever is fixing it to the body. And what to use to "glue" it back when replaced. A used one is mine for roughly £80
  • The Bumper... I guess I won't teplace it, just glue back that little chip and maby cover it with some paint. 
  • The headlight... there were some plastic mounting parts that got damaged. Both on the headlight it self and in the housing. I guess I'll have to replace the lot, but I cant find a guide. A used one is mine for roughly £80
  • The Bonnet... Some pliers and paint and it'll have to do, getting a new one isn't an option.
  • The washer fluid container... I've found no instructions what so ever on the net. But a used one is mine for roughly £15

If you have any good tips or links it would be super if you could share them with me.

Thanks in advance

20170226_120720.jpg

20170226_120714.jpg

Don't know what availability of parts are in sweden but here in the uk you can just go down to a breakers and probably find most of the parts on the cheap

I know a Headlight can be had for about £20, a wing £30, Bonnet £30-40, Bumper £50-60, washer bottle £10 

Bumper is an easy job just unbolts from the inner wheel arches at the front with 4x t25 screws, then 2x t35?? on the front just below the grille, remove the undertray (again t25 i think) Then its just a case of pulling it out from the clips on the wing and it should be off.

Headlight is very easy once front bumper is off - one torx at the back, two t25 on the top holding it to the slam panel, and a 10mm bolt on the front. You will need to get the beams aligned by a garage tho after its fitted to comply with whatever laws you have.

Washer fluid container should be an easy job with the front bumper off should be quite self explanatory i would have thought by just looking at it.

Never done a front wing, heard they are a bit tricky but theres the bolts along the top edge and the bolts on the inside of the wheel arch. I think theres some sort of sealant at the bottom part where it joins to the sill, which can be cut.

Bonnet is just the 4 bolts holding it to the hinges, as you say you can just straighten for the time being until you find one the right colour

Overall not too bad to do with some DIY experience. 

I wouldn't bother repairing the front bumper as it would cost more to get it looking right than a replacement from a scrap yard.

Well one more thing, the colour code for my car, I guess it's  9202 from what I can read out of the service manual. Am I right? The wing part I can get hold of is in colour 9102 so probably I'll have to do some painting and that will not be a sucsess I think

20170226_124727.jpg

9102 is silver

9202 is the gold beige colour so they wont match

You wont get a good finish by painting it yourself even a good job diy is never going to match a paintshop

Expect to pay £100 to get a wing professionally resprayed

Well, the scrapyards i Sweden shurly knows how to earn money. And on top of that, there aren't that many scrapyards around. There will be either a 500 km drive to get all parts or transport costs of twice the material cost. The bonnet is the worst part to get transported, but even the bumper is a bit tricky, in right coulour there is only one in Sweden, and it's a 550 km drive one way... Worst case scenario, I'll just put a sticker on the crack.

That's unfortunate, is the car worth the repairs in that case?

The bumper could be repaired plastic welded from behind and then just polished up from the front until it looks presentable.

There are clips which mount the edge of the bumper into the wing, in the picture it has popped out from the clips i expect some of them are broken but that part should come with a replacement wing.

Wait until she has finished learning to drive in case a few more dents and scrapes appear. You might fix the parts and the same thing happens again. 

• Like 1

It's worth the cost of repairing, no doubt. It's a 2007 and in good condition. But as always, keeping cost down is good.

She is in tears, I'm trying to tell her it's only a car and these things happen, but she feels like an idiot.

• Like 1

Just now, holton said:

It's worth the cost of repairing, no doubt. It's a 2007 and in good condition. But as always, keeping cost down is good.

She is in tears, I'm trying to tell her it's only a car and these things happen, but she feels like an idiot.

No doubt it will knock her confidence, but these things happen. I used to have an old banger of a Polo for my girls to learn to drive in and I told them not to worry too much if it got dinged. Take her to a scrap yard and show her the damaged caused by drivers with much more experience.

• Like 1

Washer fluid container is easy to remove, however to get it out you need to remove the bumper and the battery. It's just held in with a couple of bolts, and the water connections are just push-fit.

If you're taking the bumper off anyway, then you cold attempt a DIY patch of that crack by doing some at-home plastic welding using a soldering iron on the back side. The video below shows how it's done, but please do this outdoors unlike the guy in the video, the fumes are bad for you! It should make the split much less obvious if done carefully and will stop the crack from growing.

• Like 1

That's a usable link! Really good tip

My whife told me we still had an insurance policy for this car! Wonderful news, I thought we had ended that due to the cars age. Now I only have to pay less than £300 and get the job done by a profesional
Thanks anyway and that plastic welding tip will be used for an other project