Rear passenger air vent part number?

Ha ha. I can help!  Holiday trip resulted in both reat vent handles dislodged. 

There are 4 retaining lugs. Look inside the ashtray holder. 

I slid 4 pieces of thin plastic ( butchered trunking) beteen the console and holder, use a small screwdriver inside the holder to lever the lugs inwards.  Put fingers on hole for 12v supply to get leverage. It was difficult!

Once out you can get your fingers up towards the vent assembly. You can push 2 clips on the lower edge and feel the unit unlock, thrn a hefty pull at the top and it pops out. 

I was glad it was hot today so all plastic was a bit "bendy".

For other readers ( who dont want to give skida £90.04 for a new vent assembly)  it is possible to reassemble the vent.

The 10mm metal clip if you find it goes inside the handle and sits in the recess of the middle vent flap.

Vent flaps 2 and 4 pull up at the inner edge and can then be removed giving access to the inner workings.

Dont take a good one to pieces ro see how it works. 

There is a 40mm metal piece that will fall out.

Put the handle back on flap 3, making sure you clip in the triangular linkage to the sideways flaps. 

Replace flaps 1 and 3 clipping the triangular linkage to the sideways flaps, balance the metal tie piece on the pivots on those flaps, then replace flap 2, this fits on the other side of the metal tie so it is now firmly held. Then you can add flap 5 and then the final flap.

Wish I'd taken photos. But the air was blue and I'd given up until a flap 'fell' out and I could see a way in.

Ps. Didnt need to touch ant screws. The air pipe does just pull free and then upwards. The back of one handle was actually in the pipe beyond that!

Good Luck!

Edited by Chazzy
Addendum.

@Chazzy

Thanks for the info , I've had a look tonight and still a bit clueless

Would you mind just doing a photo of where these lugs are ? Or draw some obvious colour on the photo ?

Be really useful for this bewildered reader

Pretty sure it will all become abundantly clear 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gcq7ZBVEP7zEhNat7

I think what you are saying is the black housing for the ashtry stays in sit and you push the clips up from the inside 

And these are the clips you are referring to 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h1wnunEKtqXWvv578

Many thanks 🤯

No. Need to remoce ashtray holder to get to back of vent unit. Clips are pointed in green. No 1 son explained giw to edit a photo in phone!! ( wattsapp edit and send then sent back. Hes only 12!)

The clips need a manly pull inwards and something to keep them clear of the ridge they sit behind. Be careful tho!

Good luck !

IMG-20190807-WA0003.jpg

Success!!!!!!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P5mgsCAoDGTygZqf8

And yes it was blindly obvious

I cut up an old credit card and inserted it between the vent and the piano black Surround and it popped straight out 

Now I have to work out how to disconnect the clip....doesn't seem to want to budge 

Bare with the light will come on soon 

Edited by Zenbasses
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chazzy said:

No. Need to remoce ashtray holder to get to back of vent unit. Clips are pointed in green. No 1 son explained giw to edit a photo in phone!! ( wattsapp edit and send then sent back. Hes only 12!)

The clips need a manly pull inwards and something to keep them clear of the ridge they sit behind. Be careful tho!

Good luck !

IMG-20190807-WA0003.jpg

Must have posted this at the same time as found am easier way ....there's a new hack for everyone

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AE1U365aq15EKqQWA

The worry is Skoda probably know this but still will charge £100+ for the pleasure

Still can't get this damn clip out , worried of breaking it 

Edited by Zenbasses

If you mean the electrical connector the snall bit cones out of the bigger bit.

I detached it from the clips on the vent first . i think jt helped by pushing the metal bit inwards but not sure.

Re your tecnique i should have realised that was an easier method as it did pop out from the gloss surround very easily.

Just had an hour out in the car trying to fix mine.

I managed to pop the unit out very easily using a cut-up library card (special tools). Then it took ages to get the connector on the cable apart. It was that little metal tab that was hanging on for dear life. Finally got a tiny flat blade screw driver in there and pushed it back.

With that out of the way, I found two other pieces which had fallen inside the vent when the tab piece came off. I then managed to get the vent itself apart to give better access to the back of the fins that the tab fixes to. It was then I discovered I had lost the little metal piece - it was no longer in my cupholder along with the tab. I managed to get the three other pieces reassembled around the fins so the tab was able to move them up and down and left and right again, but it’s a bit floppy compared to its neighbour, presumably because of that missing clip.

On the whole I was pleased to have sorted out a job which had been waiting for me to get around to for 6 months. I just hope the slightly loose vent doesn’t become a new rattle.

On 20/03/2017 at 00:42, BennyS3 said:

This actually happened to mine last week. Little 3 yr old girl kept kicking the driver seat so I moved her chair into the middle. As a result, the following morning I found the two chrome handles on the ground. With a bit of cursing and a little patience I fixed it myself. Give it a go before spending €100+ on a part

I did the same - kids kicked it to bits, I gave Skoda all the bits and they said it’s beyond repair. £136 for a new one. About an hour of sticking my tongue out in concentration and now it’s as good as new!

If none of the bits are actually broken on yours I’d recommend you have a go at fixing it, it’s not too difficult. The hardest part for me was prying all the clips open all at the same time, to take it apart. If you don’t use something long and flat (I used a small plastic glue remover scraper) you’ll need about 10 arms. 

So after losing my battle with the clip the other day I decided to leave it for another day 

Success today..... obvious really but still hard work, I used a small screwdriver and pushed really hard down in the little hole to release the metal clip....

I have also managed to replace the Piano Black surround as mine had 1 annoying mark on it .

A few clips it comes away from the Chrome surround

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2vZ1N11LLY8dhTqV6

Btw if anyone wants these parts let me know, Free of course .... kinda no use to me now ..lol...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, You don't need to take the ashtray out to remove the air vents unit!  If you slide a credit card into the joint between the top of the air vent unit and the black surround you will feel where the retainer is you can just pop it out.

I have had a similar problem. I have managed to rebuild mine except for the small black plastic part that clips the front slider onto the vane.

Anyone out there that has one spare after replacing the unit please let me know 😀

• 3 months later...

Repair took 27 months
warranty were rejected and i weren't ready to pay 200€ for fix

On 05/11/2017 at 14:06, MartiniB said:

6 year old boy pulled it out just by his fingers

171101.thumb.jpg.112a9731f7e27f315a3035c3b2a9742b.jpg

later i sent collected info from forums to dealer about that is known problem

28AAAgDuGeA-960.jpg

lSAAAgDuGeA-960.jpg

8YAAAgDuGeA-960.jpg

VEAAAgDuGeA-960.jpg

but only 50% discount were offered
long years waited for better price, and finally met it on Ali
36€ 3VD 819 203 A TDZ

aYAAAgNuGeA-960.jpg

BUT received device weren't perfect 😞

CCAAAgNuGeA-960.jpg

2SAAAgNuGeA-960.jpg

plastic parts aren't cross compatible at all

aMAAAgNuGeA-960.jpg

ksAAAgNuGeA-960.jpg

but i managed to replace LED only

ruAAAgN-GeA-960.jpg

kgAAAgD-GeA-960.jpg

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Syroplan said:

Can anybody be kind enough to advise how can I disconnect this wire joint?

press into hole by small screwdriver,

weren't easy even on ~fifth~ attempt, sits so tight

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/08/2019 at 15:51, Zenbasses said:

So after losing my battle with the clip the other day I decided to leave it for another day 

Success today..... obvious really but still hard work, I used a small screwdriver and pushed really hard down in the little hole to release the metal clip....

I have also managed to replace the Piano Black surround as mine had 1 annoying mark on it .

A few clips it comes away from the Chrome surround

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2vZ1N11LLY8dhTqV6

Btw if anyone wants these parts let me know, Free of course .... kinda no use to me now ..lol...

Hi.

I know its a long shot but do you still have any parts for the vents. I am missing 1 small piece. Thanks

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2017 at 00:42, BennyS3 said:

This actually happened to mine last week. Little 3 yr old girl kept kicking the driver seat so I moved her chair into the middle. As a result, the following morning I found the two chrome handles on the ground. With a bit of cursing and a little patience I fixed it myself. Give it a go before spending €100+ on a part

+1, I did the same. Simpsons Skoda Preston quoted about same price, £90ish 😵

Edit: £136!! I’d already posted in here lol

Edited by drewellis

• 10 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 06:42, Stuart66 said:

I have taken the back of the centre console of and by a miracle I have found the missing piece. All fixed and the kids are not allowed near it 

I know this is old but hope you can help... I've got the vent out but the little bits have dropped into the vent pipe how did you get the back of the console off.....or any other info to retrieve

the bits. Thanks Ian

4 hours ago, ianbirch said:

I know this is old but hope you can help... I've got the vent out but the little bits have dropped into the vent pipe how did you get the back of the console off.....or any other info to retrieve

the bits. Thanks Ian

I have now retrieved all the bits that fell into the heating vent... and consequently fixed the vent.

I did this by taking the plastic end off my Henry hoover which then makes the flexible hose thin enough

to fit right down the vent and suck the small parts out (and yes I did take the bag out first lol)

Regards Ian

• 1 year later...

Superb MK3 is still on the road and kids are still doing what they can :)

I've run into the same trouble these days and fix it myself, thanks to all contributors here (the local dealer didn't prove very useful on the matter).

As I've found particularly useful the pictures posted by moamer91 in this topic https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/460883-rear-air-vent-collapsed/ I want to contribute myself

with the following couple of images:

To remove the outlet grid part, as described by others, all you need is a plastic card. Insert it gently as shown on the picture, push a little in and move the card aside. The grid part will slightly pop out with a click and you can take the whole thing out. 

outlet.jpg.86df577a028e12c0f14666414311dd7c.jpg

To detach the cable connector you need to push the metal bud on it, with a small screwdriver (as mentioned by MartiniB), towards the brown and blue/white cables and then help further with your fingers. It's a tight link.

conn.jpg.3601a4406c64578aa2d48150047a5315.jpg

If there are parts fallen down in the vent pipe a vacuum cleaner may come handy.

I hope this will help someone.

Thank you all who posted here and in the aforementioned tread, who saved my day (and money). Wish you all the best!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...