Central locking 'beep'

18 hours ago, andyvee said:

Really easy to work out if you know what you are doing, but since the rise of OBD Eleven users on this forum I have stopped updating 'how to' guides as I don't believe in supporting a product (or people that buy that product) that has 'allegedly' stolen intellectual property from the market leaders.

No disrespect Andyvee, I'm a big fan of your work here in the forum.

Maybe obd11 is stealing from the market leaders, I don't know, but are we really the right people to decide?

We are shearing a how to on HBA, TSR, lane assist etc for free which is stealing in the first place!

19 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Yes it can be activated on a MY17 car, FWIW there is no need to turn the chirps on with VCDS once the below has been activated as you can now turn them on and off yourself in the infotainment set up:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/380829-superb-mkiii-vcds-adaptations-tried-and-tested/?do=findComment&comment=4742527 - yes I know it’s in the superb section because I have done it on a few Superb’s, but the process is the same for the O3:

Activating alarm chirps locking/unlocking

I noticed on a MY17 L&K that there is no option to turn the alarm chirps (Acoustic confirmation) in the infotainment.

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Go to:

IDE02269-ENG122188-Acknowledgement signals-Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung

Change to active

You will now have the Acoustic Confirmation option in the infotainment screen.

Followed the steps but nothing in the infotainment.. is it because no alarm installed?

Thnx!

2 hours ago, Wiz83 said:

Maybe obd11 is stealing from the market leaders, I don't know, but are we really the right people to decide?

We are shearing a how to on HBA, TSR, lane assist etc for free which is stealing in the first place!

Keep in mind that it is not all as easy as that. You can't just plug into any "version" of an Octavia and activate any of these things. You have to have the hardware on your car already. None of what you list above could be activated on an Elegance model. You need to have Lane Assist camera already installed for them to function and if you have that camera there you bloomin paid for it, nothing free about it. As regards activating the chirp for your central locking through VCDS or other diagnostic interface, unless you have an alarm installed it ain't going to be available in any menu's no matter what diagnostic tool you use. 

So when you go to the dealer or order your car with some of these extras, there is almost always more to it than plugging in a machine and activating it. Hardware needs to be in place. And if the hardware is in place in my car, which I have paid for, and some feature of that hardware is not activated, my conscience is clean to go ahead and switch it on. 

So its not comparing apples to apples when comparing Andyvee's stance on supporting or providing instructions on how to use a "Diagnostic Tool" that he feels is a product of Copyright Infringement - that is a completely different thing he is talking about.  

Edited by AJAMESR

57 minutes ago, Wiz83 said:

Followed the steps but nothing in the infotainment.. is it because no alarm installed?

Thnx!

Possibly but in countries where no alarm is installed it uses the horn (which IMO sounds awful) ... not sure if it then uses different coding as all UK models get the alarm as std.

2 hours ago, Wiz83 said:

No offence, but the market leading products are expensive, as they put the R&D hours in. This also restricted the products (by price) to those that needed them and hopefully knew what they were doing with them!

The rise of cheaper alternatives has opened this up so anyone with a smartphone can now be changing settings with very little outlay. I would hazard a guess that most of these people haven't a clue what they are doing and rely on others to post instructions, support them when they **** it up etc.

There has been a noticeable rise in the number of PMs I get about 'how do I do this' or 'your instructions don't work' since OBD11 became available, to the point now where I don't respond to the majority of PMs. Why should I? In fact, I don't even read them anymore.

As I have always said, if you don't understand what you are changing, and more importantly don't know how to revert back to factory, then you shouldn't be playing around.

I don't maintain the O3 VCDS sticky thread any more, there are plenty of changes or additions I could do but don't have the time.

As for the alarm chirps, there are only a handful of settings it could possibly be to enable it, anyone who knows what they are doing could work it out in 5 minutes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, andyvee said:

The rise of cheaper alternatives has opened this up so anyone with a smartphone can now be changing settings with very little outlay. I would hazard a guess that most of these people haven't a clue what they are doing and rely on others to post instructions, support them when they **** it up etc.

Indeed, I had a message on Facebook by someone 15 miles away (we are both 1 mile from the M20!) who wanted some diagnostics and coding done on his VW, he decided he didn’t want to travel to me (but was quite happy for me to go to him... go figure) so got a friend with a hacked copy of VCDS to do his car, then promptly bricked the car (would not start).

That same day he asked if I would help out..... :D not a chance.

7 minutes ago, andyvee said:

As for the alarm chirps, there are only a handful of settings it could possibly be to enable it, anyone who knows what they are doing could work it out in 5 minutes.

This is true, with a bit of knowledge (and google translate if you are not sure) it is pretty easy.

This is the reason I rarely update a post when the coding moves slightly when there is a new MY or software update, the info needed is still all there if you look for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Possibly but in countries where no alarm is installed it uses the horn (which IMO sounds awful) ... not sure if it then uses different coding as all UK models get the alarm as std.

Thanks Gizmo!

I just had to activate all other relative channels under feedbacksignals including signal via horn and now shows in the infotainment and works perfectly :)

23 hours ago, AJAMESR said:

Keep in mind that it is not all as easy as that. You can't just plug into any "version" of an Octavia and activate any of these things. You have to have the hardware on your car already. None of what you list above could be activated on an Elegance model. You need to have Lane Assist camera already installed for them to function and if you have that camera there you bloomin paid for it, nothing free about it. As regards activating the chirp for your central locking through VCDS or other diagnostic interface, unless you have an alarm installed it ain't going to be available in any menu's no matter what diagnostic tool you use. 

So when you go to the dealer or order your car with some of these extras, there is almost always more to it than plugging in a machine and activating it. Hardware needs to be in place. And if the hardware is in place in my car, which I have paid for, and some feature of that hardware is not activated, my conscience is clean to go ahead and switch it on. 

So its not comparing apples to apples when comparing Andyvee's stance on supporting or providing instructions on how to use a "Diagnostic Tool" that he feels is a product of Copyright Infringement - that is a completely different thing he is talking about.  

True, the hardware is there but that doesn't mean that the software should be included. VAG has put a lot R&D into the software aswell!

Regarding to the chirp it's actually possible to activate without an alarm, I did it yesterday and it works through the horn with the option on enable/disable in the infotainment (I have Bolero), thanks to Gizmo who pointed me in the right direction :)

22 hours ago, andyvee said:

No offence, but the market leading products are expensive, as they put the R&D hours in. This also restricted the products (by price) to those that needed them and hopefully knew what they were doing with them!

There has been a noticeable rise in the number of PMs I get about 'how do I do this' or 'your instructions don't work' since OBD11 became available, to the point now where I don't respond to the majority of PMs. Why should I? In fact, I don't even read them anymore.

As I have always said, if you don't understand what you are changing, and more importantly don't know how to revert back to factory, then you shouldn't be playing around.

I don't maintain the O3 VCDS sticky thread any more, there are plenty of changes or additions I could do but don't have the time.

I fully respect your decision but still hopes that you'll one day change your mind regarding maintaining the O3 stickey thread, which is awesome btw :)

All the best,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiz83 said:

True, the hardware is there but that doesn't mean that the software should be included. VAG has put a lot R&D into the software aswell!

Regarding to the chirp it's actually possible to activate without an alarm, I did it yesterday and it works through the horn with the option on enable/disable in the infotainment (I have Bolero), thanks to Gizmo who pointed me in the right direction :)

Can you upload a photo of this on the infotainment unit. I have searched and can't find it. Would be interested to see where it is. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, AJAMESR said:

Can you upload a photo of this on the infotainment unit. I have searched and can't find it. Would be interested to see where it is. Thanks. 

Sorry for bad picture quality and that its in Swedish but once activated it will show up under car settings > open/unlock and bottom option "Acoustic confirmation", hope that helps!

2017-03-27 14.05.16.jpg

Something's still a little off. I've tried using both VCDS and OBD11 with no success.

I've got an SE Sport with Factory/OEM Alarm and I've done it before on other VAG vehicles without any issues. 

8 hours ago, gRoberts said:

Something's still a little off. I've tried using both VCDS and OBD11 with no success.

I've got an SE Sport with Factory/OEM Alarm and I've done it before on other VAG vehicles without any issues. 

Go to Central electronics > Adaptations > look for Acknowledgement signals/feedback signals (don’t remember the exact name) there should be 3-4 channels you need to activate to get it working and showing in the infotainment.

If you give me a screenshot of all your settings in Acknowledgement signals/feedback signals I can compare to my settings later today when I'm home.

• 4 months later...