S3 owners - electric tailgate / hatch closing from inside

Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?

• Yes, I live in Kent and would be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • I don’t live in Kent but would still be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • No, I live in Kent but this doesn’t interest me
  2. 2. How much would you be prepared to pay for this?

10 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Well depending on dates and location I may be at the National meet :thumbup:

I do also travel around parts of the UK... but alas it’s always time critical so do not get the time to do coding on the road anymore.

When / where is the national meet? 

What would be the minimum numbers required to get you to do a special trip up to somewhere like stafford services on the M6? It's fairly central, albeit a bl**dy long way from Kent... :D

1 hour ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

When / where is the national meet? 

Sorry, I was being idle and I've just looked it up... Cosford would be an hour down the godawful A41 for me - so I'll be first in the queue if you'll be at the national meet!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

What would be the minimum numbers required to get you to do a special trip up to somewhere like stafford services on the M6? It's fairly central, albeit a bl**dy long way from Kent... :D

I should be making a trip up to Burntwood (between Cannock and Lichfield just off the A5) sometime soon as my dad is due a major operation (just waiting on a date) however depending on the outcome of the op I may not be available to do coding when I’m up there?

Time is usually the biggest problem as even a ‘quick visit’ is a full day affair and anything more than a few hours requires a Travelodge etc for the night.

11 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

I should be making a trip up to Burntwood (between Cannock and Lichfield just off the A5) sometime soon as my dad is due a major operation (just waiting on a date) however depending on the outcome of the op I may not be available to do coding when I’m up there?

Time is usually the biggest problem as even a ‘quick visit’ is a full day affair and anything more than a few hours requires a Travelodge etc for the night.

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I wouldn't want to give you anything else to think about on that trip to be honest - the closing of my boot-lid from inside is beyond trivial compared to some things!

Let's wait and see whether you plan to come to the national meet, or if we can arrange something on the Kent side of the M25 over the coming months.

Thanks for the thought though, and fingers crossed the op goes well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Argh! What were you doing over here? Work or visiting friends?

Work ...

Edited by Enriquez

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2017 at 12:12, Gizmo68 said:

Please PM me to arrange a suitable date for me to enable this on your car.

Just a reminder to those who wanted this done, PM me to arrange a date.

18 minutes ago, FRSkoda said:

I drive through to the tunnel a few times per year - happy to detour to get this done..

Let me know the dates you come through and we will see if we can arrange a mutually convenient date and time. 

I have a concern with this. The hatch is heavy and needs a great deal of resistance to stop it closing.

I don't think a child could stop it closing without injury.

As with most things in life parental supervision is always recommended when operating anything mechanical around children. 

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 15:21, Gizmo68 said:

Let me know the dates you come through and we will see if we can arrange a mutually convenient date and time. 

Thanks - will do - next trip likely to be june / july.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the one only function I will dearly miss on my Kuga when the S3 arrives, and to anyone considering this option don't, just do it you will never ever regret it and worth every penny Gizmo is charging. Just fortunate for those who live down the road and a little less fortunate for those not so close, and can honestly say if you cant get it done local at a reasonable price its still worth an overnight stay or better still make a weekend of it there's plenty to do and see around the surrounding area's;)

As with everything parental supervision is everything but if its anything to go by with the Kuga you will have no concerns, its like going through an IMO car wash in olden days you think the dryer is going to hit you and just before you close your eyes it doesn't lol

Edited by kezwald
added
  • Like 1

Quick query - has it ever been definitively established whether VCP (or any other tool) can make it possible to use the key fob to close the tailgate on a non-KESSY model? This would be on a par with closing from the inside on my wishlist....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a no from me - too risky with my kids about. I think it's best that I'm stood by the tailgate as it closes in case they make a sudden rash decision to dive in and retrieve something vital to their existence (ooh - my fidget spinner), as kids of that age do :)

I know it will stop when it senses resistance, but there's some amount of force exerted first before it stops. I certainly wouldn't want to lay my neck across the opening to prove it's safe. And if you've ever tried to stop it when in full-on death-crush mode....makes me shudder if I'm honest.

Also - if someone (without the worry of kids) has this mod done then subsequently sells/trades their car on - the next owner won't know that a fairly important safety feature has been disabled.

I know you mean well Gizmo, but could accepting payment to override a safety feature could leave you on dodgy ground in the (albeit unlikely) event someone does get hurt ?

I'm all for tweaks/mods with VCDS etc (I have it myself) but this one doesn't sit comfortably with me.

1 hour ago, muddyboots said:

It's a no from me - too risky with my kids about. I think it's best that I'm stood by the tailgate as it closes in case they make a sudden rash decision to dive in and retrieve something vital to their existence (ooh - my fidget spinner), as kids of that age do :)

I know it will stop when it senses resistance, but there's some amount of force exerted first before it stops. I certainly wouldn't want to lay my neck across the opening to prove it's safe. And if you've ever tried to stop it when in full-on death-crush mode....makes me shudder if I'm honest.

Also - if someone (without the worry of kids) has this mod done then subsequently sells/trades their car on - the next owner won't know that a fairly important safety feature has been disabled.

I know you mean well Gizmo, but could accepting payment to override a safety feature could leave you on dodgy ground in the (albeit unlikely) event someone does get hurt ?

I'm all for tweaks/mods with VCDS etc (I have it myself) but this one doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Just as an aside if your slip the car into reverse then the rear camera works even with the hatch up and you can watch the area as it descends...

• Like 2

@muddyboots, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however I am not activating anything that is not already offered by Škoda on another model (Kodiaq)

I suppose thats why you have to keep the button pressed whilst it is closing, if you take your finger off the button then the hatch / tailgate will stop closing. 

@FRSkoda that's a good point, incidentally you do not need to leave it in reverse as the camera will stay on until you get to (IIRC) 6 MPH. 

• Like 2