Roofbar recommendations?

I need a set of roofbars for my Skoda Superb and wondered if anyone has any recommendations? I'd prefer to avoid spending Thule money if possible and tend to leave the bars on the car all year round so am looking for something low profile.

Cheers,

iperry

I swapped the foot pack and Thule rectangular bars over from my Mazda 6, as they were the same fitment.

Thule doesn't have to be expensive, all you need to do is research which foot pack and length bar you need then watch until they pop up on eBay. I got my foot pack for less than 20 pounds. Bars are even more common, so you'll get them for a fraction of the new price.

Go for the wing (oval) bars though, my rectangular ones are a little noisy about 40mph.

I recently had the same issue, finding a set for my newly acquired Superb, seemed a bit of a minefield.  I only need them for occasional use for the roof box so they don't live on the car.  Ended up with a set of Nordrive Yuro bars from 'Micks Garage' based on the customer reviews, and also the fact they were on a Black Friday deal made it even better!!  Not the most expensive but certainly not the cheapest.  They handle up to 90kg which is pretty good and look decent, although not as low profile as you can get.  The lower the profile the higher the price...!  Setting them up and getting them centred took a bit of messing about but once in place they were fine.  Before removing I marked up the positions of the brackets on the bars with a marker, and noted some measurements for quicker fitting next time.  Only thing I would recommend would be to dump the allen key and use a small socket/ratchet with allen key bit as the design of the bars makes the allen key difficult to turn.  Worth a look at these for a mid range bar....although may not be the low profile that you need ?  Cheers Dave

Edited by TasMan

I'd go for Thule over any over brand. The Wing Bars are near silent in operation and if you have a dark car go for the black versions.

Whispbar are similar but I've always been but off by their early failures which have now been resolved but selling products that hadn't been tested thoroughly first will never inspire me with confidence.

If you don't mind getting a replacement bar around £50, these are a bargain. They are 79cm and 87cm bars. You need 87cm bars front and rear on your car. Swapping the bars over is a 10 min job and you will have effectively new Thule Wingbars for less than half price.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426056-thule-wingbar-edge-roof-bars-to-fit-fabia-mk3-estate-will-also-fit-octavia-mk3-estate-with-roof-rails/#comment-4846810

I'd have Thule over Whispbars any day for the reason mentioned above.

It wouldn't surprise me if your Volvo bars are actually Thule as they make a lot for car manufacturers. A comparison of the profiles will confirm. 

Speaking about whispbars, personality love them been couple times on a longer holiday (about 5000 miles) and they are pretty good. With the speed from about 60-70mph you would start hearing them a little, but not annoying plus you would have roofbox on them and that would make a little more noise. They handle speed really good as well, need running late for a ferry, so went a little faster than should have around 120-130mph and no problems whatsoever (that's with fully loaded roofbox Thule 900);)

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

• Like 1

If they're within your budget, I'd second the Thule Wingbars - you won't know they're there at 120 km/h. You'll need the 118 cm bars for these - I had originally planned to use the Atera Signo bars I had on my B5 Passat but they were only 108 cm and they were too short. The Wingbars are rated for 100 kg roofload too, if that might be an issue for you.

I've had the Thule Wingbars for 5 years now - luckily for me the same kit (bars and feet) are used for the 5 Series and our Superb Estates. They have lasted and are robust. 

If I have a complaint then its a good one - they are a bit too quiet and I constantly forgot to remove them! As chimaera says above - totally quiet on the motorway at full speed. 

Ive got a set of genuine skoda bars from a dealer that was selling them off at a low price as they were no longer selling skodas. They are so quick and easy to fit and are solid once fitted. But if you are going to leave them on the car all year I would go for bars with a lower profile.

• Like 1

If you contact https://www.roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Products/Spare-Parts/_/?productID=wing they will supply any Thule part you need including replacement bars. The Edge specific bars aren't listed but the wider bars are at £49.95 but thye will be able to order them for you.

Are you thinking of the Edge Bars that I posted a link to in the classifieds? If so you're too slow, they've been sold.

Having re-read my own post I realised that I already own most of the required solution. I have the volvo bars one of which actually fits the Superb one is too long. So, if the volvo bars really are just thule ones, maybe I just need to buy a single shorter thule bar, swap the 'feet' and I'm done!

iperry

The bars are just extruded so you could cut them down. If they are arched like Thule ones then you would have to remove equally from each side otherwise just the one.

• Like 1