Not buying the car from us? Then no test drive!

Ok, first post so be gentle. Anyone else had issues or good experience with requesting a test drive from a Skoda or any other dealership without the intention to buy there?

Looking to to change my Audi A5 Sportback and really like the Superb Sportline. I want/need to get on and order but my company buy centrally and it's been a little slow sorting a decent test drive.

To speed things along a little (and the fact that I just want a quick drive in any Superb with a 150BHP Diesel/DSG box to make sure it will be ok to drive) I approached the Aftersales Manager at my local dealer to ask if he could help with requesting a brief test drive on the basis that they would get all the servicing (keeping in mind I cover approx 45k a year and spent somewhere in the region of £2k on servicing in the last 3 yrs). 

I was half expecting a sincere 'sorry but the Sales guys have said they can't help' but was amazed to hear the Aftersales Manager just flatly refuse with the words 'it's simply not in our interests because you are not buying the car from us'.

'Even though I would give all the servicing costs to you?' I reply but met with 'they are not our cars' reply. Put simply - 'jog on sonny'! 

I know I could have and arguably should have just pretended that I was a normal punter but just don't like doing that - call me old fashioned. 

So, am I being naive and thinking there are sensible dealerships out there that see things from a common sense viewpoint or should I just understand that all dealerships will be equally shortsighted and disinterested?  

Edited by Bluefleet321

Ask to speak to the dealer Principal, tell him/her what a complete Kn0b of a Aftersales W@anker  Manager works for him/her

Turning down work, must be a very rich dealership.

Then phone Skoda Uk and tell them the same.

Then Name and shame the dealer...........

The End

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I just turned up at Progress Skoda Letchworth this morning and went out for a test drive in the Kodiak, and then a manual Octavia 1.4TSI.

No problem at all, both cars driven with no salesman in the car. Was just passed the keys, a quick demo of the controls and off I went.

Contact your fleet team and request them to arrange a demo for you  ( http://www.skoda.co.uk/tools/request-a-demo/default/ )

Problem is the dealers are not too fussed about company car drivers as they dont make as much money..  ie.. i know my lease company pays less for servicing than a private customer does.As a company driver, you dont have the end decisionon where the car is serviced, yes it may go to the dealer but the lease company could send it to Halfords auto centre and just get them to use OEM parts..

Also.. a member of the sales team will not want to waste his time on you when he could be selling a car to someone else where he will get commission from.... service team resources tend not to be commission based.

Its a shame and i agree they should treat you like any customer... but its not just skoda.. its all of them that take this attitude

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Interesting though that this isn't a normal fleet deal. My company buys the cars (which they buy centrally) and I pay for all servicing which is then claimed back later. Hence I have control over what I have done and where. Too all intents and purposes I am a normal punter. Not that this guy even checked that.

Also, I understood the Sales guys would not want to help and that's why I approached the Service Manager to see if he would be willing to try and sort something. It's the not being interested in even trying to help that's really narked me. 

Skoda Fleet had already been contacted and I'm awaiting their call. The idea of a half hour local drive was to speed things up to get the order placed.

Think I'll go for it anyway but there is another dealer near my office which I will go to instead. Not into naming and shaming but can certainly vote with my feet. 

• Like 1

Hmmm... Not really surprised given where you're located. 

I suspect we've visited that show room and whilst they've let us test drive on 3 or 4 occasions we've never bought from them. But we also weren't as honest as you!

Superb's a great car - I hope you find what you're after.

• Like 2

I guess all dealerships are ultimately the same. Over the past few years I have gotten a bit fed up with all the faffy processes when servicing my cars (VW and now Audi). It's like they are utterly paranoid that you will leave them a bad review but miss the little things that actually make the difference. I guess I had this picture in my mind that Skoda would be different 

Think I am set on a Sportline Hatch in Candy White, 150BHP Diesel with the DSG plus Canton and front parking sensors. 

• Administrators

The future has to be, that the manufacturer underwriting the costs of test cars. That or ban internet car sales/fleet sales. I know my wife's fleet car can arrange week long tests. Long enough to get a real test and a cycle of a tank. We tried the pug 3008 hybrid when it launched, around town on the 'dealership routes' it was 'ok' on the open road is was not an enjoyable thing. Over a trip to the coast and back it didn't do the advertised numbers, nor close. A Ford dealership gave us a 2.0 instead of a 1.6, nice try.. we ended up ironically with a 1.6 ricepudding, but the stereo and interior is nice. The focus chassis is good, but now the lease co have put ditch finder tyres on it and it's horrible!

The big future I see is super centres with all models available and then your 'local' dealer will be service centres. The problem is with most of the dealerships in the hole now for 5+ million on new white shiny paint and 3d configuration tv's that isn't going to happen for another 10 years.

Till then it's all a bit of a white lie, some rank coffee and away you go. 

If it helps to allay, I asked to attend a kodiaq launch, didn't hear anything back. Then told it was full. Phoned reception using my alias, just pop along, open to anyone. Sadly the first response somewhat soured the pale.

There is no sense, but I do see more and more dealers sharpening up to entertain potential buyers and screening therefore will become more evident. One good thing though, you know who not to go back to. I'd drop the principal an email, it probably comes from him on cost... I'm sure you'll not be recommending them to the rest of your company.

And given the profit is in aftersales/service...

Edited by ColinD

Agree with Col.. I had a skoda Octy 3 vrs on demo for a long weekend via my company car dept.. it was a skoda uk car from Milton Keynes area..

i did best part of 600 miles plus in it.. 

Agreed ColinD, it amazes me the money some dealerships have to spend on their sites. 

It's when you sit in my local Audi dealership and get a bill for £500 for a service and get a quote for £299 for a set of front brake pads on a basic Diesel A5 and wonder where all the money goes - on this palace of a building I guess - they have a mortgage to pay. The judder on my clutch is getting worse and I got a quote from Audi for a laugh. £2600!!!! 

I do have a test drive from Skoda UK coming. They have made initial contact but just waiting for someone to call me back and let me know if they can get the engine/gearbox combo I am after and arrange a date/time. Just seems to be taking ages and I want to get on and order. 

I want to ask the Skoda dealer near my office the same question but if i get the same answer then i won't want to use them either. I'll end up getting it serviced at a local grease monkey if I'm not careful. 

• Like 2

I went to my local dealer in Feb as i needed to buy a car to replace my company car at end June. Car scheme has stopped so I couldnt have another one.

More or less told to come back in a couple of months when they would be able to assist me. I have now ordered a car elsewhere of course.

I was also considering an Audi at that point and couldnt get a test in the car i was interested in as you had to book an appointment with the salesman before you went to the garage. Decided they were a bit too common and the Yet was better value and more exclusive, with more or less the same mechanicals underneath!

I managed to get a test drive elsewhere. Liked the car and have ordered.....hope I've done the right thing.

Went for: Sportline in Candy White with 150BHP with DSG. Only added parking sensors and towbar. Decided against Canton in the end. Somebody tell me I've done the right thing, I need reassurance. ;) 

Talking of dealers, my colleague who received his Skoda from a fleet source recently had a phone call within 2 days of delivery of his Octavia VRS. Even though they had not supplied the car, Bristol Skoda knew he had a new Skoda, wanted to introduce themselves and offered their services for anything he required. Nice touch I thought. 

That will be an interesting conversation if I get the same kind of phone call from my local dealer :) 

• Like 1

I too had a struggle getting a test drive from my local dealership. No name, No pack drill - but they're in Ewell, Surrey. A special, long test was arranged through SUK, but I went armed with a comparison quotation from a dealer in Southampton for bargaining purposes - boy, did the salesman not like that! He just was not going to allow me to get my sticky little fingers on his demonstrator until the principal got involved - this was for a cash deal! - and then they only reluctantly allowed me a very short test.  I should really have walked and taken my money elsewhere but, stupidly, I went ahead with the deal. Due to some wrangling from them over a warranty issue however, I now get my servicing done elsewhere - It comes down to trust.    

Just go in to a local dealer and brazenly ask for a test drive. Make out that you are considering a couple of skoda, vw, audi models. 

Give your details and they will probably chuck you some keys. Don't feel bad - It's no worse than the (must be) thousands of punters who test drive cars in a local dealer then order on carwow anyway!

• Like 1

I test drove 190tdi dsg estate, at a dealer and then found a 220tsi dsg hatch at another dealer (couldn't find an estate). Contacted several dealers within about 60 miles of where I live with my spec requirements, and an idea of quotes I had from CarWow and CarFile. I was being as honest with them as they were with me, their best price often changed considerably once they saw other quotes. Reminded me of Double Glazing Salesmen, special price today, let me speak to my manager etc.

• 10 months later...

Need to look at this from both sides. I was a cycle retailer and had people wanting to test ride but knew they would then go on line to purchase -inspections of accessories and clothing were similar. Not only does one have to purchase stock but also “waste” time that could be spent elsewhere. This causes friction and the possibility of being unable to continue in business.

Alternatively, a business’ reputation - built over years can be lost in moments and regular customers lose a reliable supplier and repairer. 

In advance of my purchase of a used Scout and having bought an electrically assisted mountain bike, I wanted a suitable bike rack to support the weight and cope with the swan neck tow ball. Over the years I have had several items from Pendle bike racks - each outlasting the vehicles - so inquired about options. Having two vehicles (Renault Trafic van with standard tow ball and proposed Scout) . Was advised of a new product to convert standard products to tow ball mounts. I arrived within 30 minutes of Friday closing but was pleasantly greeted and staff spent time explaining the options. Sadly the option I chose wasn’t immediately available but will be packed on Monday and delivered free of charge.

One may need to pay a little more (not with Pendle  cf Thule) but local good businesses should be supported.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have certainly changed over the years.   In 2002 I wanted a test drive in a Audi A4 1.8T (163) Sport when choosing my next company car.  The local dealer didn't have one so arranged a car direct from Audi.  Audi phoned me to give me a choice of 4 colours - for a test drive! 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2017 at 22:49, RickTT said:

Contact your fleet team and request them to arrange a demo for you  ( http://www.skoda.co.uk/tools/request-a-demo/default/ )

I shall remember this when our Motability lease ends :)  It was a proper arse trying to get the engine/trans/bodystyle combo we wanted to test drive at all of our local dealers.  Luckily the Sales lady arranged for multiple test drives in various vehicles with our proposed engine/trans combos even if they werent in the correct vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2017 at 07:23, Bluefleet321 said:

I managed to get a test drive elsewhere.

What did Skoda say when you told them about one of their franchised dealers refusing you the opportunity to test drive?

Its important to feed back, positive or negative, otherwise things will never change.

We went to Murray Skoda in Plymouth while we were on holiday, explained we wern't in a position to buy for several months but could we have a test drive in their Sportline Combi. Came back the following day expecting 10 mins round the block and got 45 miles round the area, dual carriageway, a-road and some wigglys. All the salesman asked was to be remembered when we were ready to buy.

We eventually paid a little more than our local dealer and carwow could do and bought from them. Dealers are being short sighted judging people before they offer test drives etc - those people could be customers later.

Good for you. Good service is strived for by many small businesses. Our cycle shop always believed that a good reputation took a log time yet could be lost in moments. I never refused a test ride on anything we had in stock. 

My worst experience of a customer occurred as I retired and am still unsure of the legalities. A member of my National cycling club (but unknown to me at the time) ordered a custom bike to his very specific details. Was built to that design and proved "disappointing" to the customer who demanded a refund. Later I found that due to several altercations he was "encouraged" to leave the Club. 

On 4/13/2017 at 22:43, Vegasphil said:

Just go in to a local dealer and brazenly ask for a test drive. Make out that you are considering a couple of skoda, vw, audi models. 

Give your details and they will probably chuck you some keys. Don't feel bad - It's no worse than the (must be) thousands of punters who test drive cars in a local dealer then order on carwow anyway!

Totally agree. I lived way up north but saw a car I liked on Motorpoint (when they were only in Derby). Dropped in to my local dealer in Inverness and test drove one without any intent to buy (there was a 40% price difference).

I didn't like the drive - saved myself a 900 mile round trip.