Tyre Noise - are soundproofing kits any good?

Hi Guys,

I have got to the point where I'm fed up with the tyre noise inside the car.

Have any of you tried to reduce tyre noise using sound proofing kits?

Were they any good?

TIA

Cheers

JD52

I lined the spare wheel bowl, boot floor and under the rear seat with Silentcoat-type material, then put a sound barrier mat under the boot carpet and under the rear seat. It made a significant difference to the rear road noise. I didn't buy a specific kit but just ordered the raw materials from the manufacturers. It was very easy to do. I was staggered at the huge area of just bare metal at the back of the car. The spare wheel sounded like a drum when rapped but that became a dull thud after the treatment.

I have done it too but only using sound deadening foam which is 6mm thick. I covered the back wheel arch from inside as much as I could plus half of the boot but I didn`t feel to do the spare wheel bowl as I don`t have spare wheel and I think the big foam which was in there is good enough the isolate the noise. I also done the front wheelarch from the outside by removing the wheelhouse liner and that was not easy.. It made a difference but I still can hear road noise and now I can also hear the wind passing through the wing mirror which I couldn`t hear before because of the loud road noise :dull: 

The best way to achieve significant difference is to strip out the interior and cover the floor. Or buy another car :D

I've have just changed tyres from Continental Sport Contact (OEM 2 or 5, can't remember) to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 and the improvement in noise is noticeable - very quiet on good asphalt and acceptable on the rough motorway sections. Partly because its an unworn tyre I'm sure, but they do have a much better noise rating (I think 67db versus 72).

Worth a try before taking even more expensive action.

The Bridgestone Potenza tyres supply by Skoda are not too bad from my point of view. On good asphalt surface I can only hear wind noise but no road noise so it is really depends on the road surface. 

Thanks for all the replies.

For those guys that have the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3. I have these and they are quieter when new but seems to be getting louder with use.

9 hours ago, London Les said:

I've have just changed tyres from Continental Sport Contact (OEM 2 or 5, can't remember) to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3 and the improvement in noise is noticeable - very quiet on good asphalt and acceptable on the rough motorway sections. Partly because its an unworn tyre I'm sure, but they do have a much better noise rating (I think 67db versus 72).

Good to know, I'm running Continental Sport Contact 5s all round but will likely switch to Goodyear F1 AS3 when they need replacement.

11 hours ago, London Les said:

I'm also now running Good Year F1 A3 - made a nice difference but it's still noisy over rough surfaces. 

9 hours ago, JD52 said:

For those guys that have the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 3. I have these and they are quieter when new but seems to be getting louder with use.

Check for sawtooth wear.

My previous mk2 came with Dunlop SportMaxx from new and I was initially quite impressed with road holding and noise but the noise became really bad over the first 10k km. There was marked sawtooth wear and moving tyres around did not make much difference.

I gave in at 20k km and bought new tyres and a 4 wheel alignment (misaligned from new) and did not have the problem again although I did change to Yokohama on the advice of the tyre seller but they never offered the same feel of the OEM tyres.

My mk3 is near base level spec (rear torsion bar) and it also came with Dunlop but I'm pleased to say that they have stayed quiet running through their near 35k km life (getting due for replacement soon) and I find the mk3 a lot quieter than the Mk2 overall. While my experience with current Sportsmaxx is pretty good, not all reports are as complimentary.

Road surface quality is the main source of noise and it even has a small but noticeable effect on consumption.

I have a spare tyre in the wheel well with a little extra foam around it and that seems to reduce drumming. It might just be psychological but I find that not overtightening the spare securing nut makes a difference too.

There have been a lot complaints on Octavia forums about the noise from Continental Contact 2 tyres over the years. Not even sure if they are still available.

Edited by Gerrycan
typo etc

16 hours ago, JD52 said:

Thanks for all the replies.

+1

On 10 April 2017 at 11:56, imikk3 said:

On good asphalt surface I can only hear wind noise but no road noise so it is really depends on the road surface. 

Definitely. The roads near me are appalling however a venture on the recently resurfaced M6 recently and it was so quiet - not that the noise inside the cabin is ever an issue in my car anyway with my music constantly being at tinitus-inducing levels. B):music: