Blue Led Dash Lights

J60ay

Hi to everyone on this awesome site

My name is Jason and I am new on here and looking for some advice as I hate the green colour dash and switches and I can see some have changed them to a real kool blue that looks amazing, so I wondering how difficult it is to do and if there are anyone out there that does the fitting of them?

Is there any company that do white dials for my 06 Fabia Vrs tdi 

Any help would be much appreciated 

Next thing I am looking to do is to fit a double din DVD but looks like the hole it leaves is way to big for the double din ??

if I have posted this in the wrong place I apologise cos like I said I am new on here

Cheers Jay

Edited by Gizmo68
font changed

WTF!?! Change your font size dude!!

The process of changing the little lights seems straight forward enough, if you're handy, although time consuming. There was a member who did a couple but not sure he's doing it anymore.....

As as for the doubledin, I've installed one in one of my vRS' and again, if you're handy, it's simple enough. It's a bit tight but a doubledin does go in. 

• Like 1

Welcome Jay, I have changed your font as it was hurting my eyes too!

Dark_Hero did the LED’s on my MKI Superb (the bottom two displays were not ‘washed out’ anywhere near as much in reality)

photo1_zps4fd23576.jpg&key=adf0dcd6c47c9

Double DIN is a std size, yes they are tight to get in (due to the cables at the rear) but they will fit and many people have done it, the Superb came with single or double from the factory depending on the spec of the car (Double DIN was sat nav)

• Like 1

I really appreciate all of your replies as I so want to do this 

any advice on best soldering iron or is there something better to use :)

1 hour ago, J60ay said:

I really appreciate all of your replies as I so want to do this 

any advice on best soldering iron or is there something better to use :)

You can use a normal soldering iron with a very small tip, I have a SMD hot air soldering station and with that it was so easy to replace the LED's

One tip, on the LED's you'll see there is a corner cutoff, before you start replacing them, mark the position of this cutoff with a dab of tippex or a marker pen on the PCB, this will make it easier when you put the replacement on the board

• Like 1

Two soldering irons (any with small tips) and two people is a good workaround if you don't have access to hot air tools.

One iron on each end of the LED, one pair of tweezers to pull it off once the solder melts.  Makes damage to the pads/tracks much less likely as you never stress anything mechanically.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nige8021 said:

You can use a normal soldering iron with a very small tip, I have a SMD hot air soldering station and with that it was so easy to replace the LED's

One tip, on the LED's you'll see there is a corner cutoff, before you start replacing them, mark the position of this cutoff with a dab of tippex or a marker pen on the PCB, this will make it easier when you put the replacement on the board

You cheat, you're a professional!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graffiti said:

^ ^ ^ Now that looks like it would take some gut's

I tried to do mine and ballsed it up :D

• Like 2

Just for the record, my posts replying to nige8021 were intended to be complimentary since I felt his instrument cluster looked good enough to be considered a professional job.

I'm also smart enough to understand that sarcasm doesn't work in writing and would never even consider using it since it relies on the subtle inflection of the spoken word.

Ok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Just for the record, my posts replying to nige8021 were intended to be complimentary since I felt his instrument cluster looked good enough to be considered a professional job.

I'm also smart enough to understand that sarcasm doesn't work in writing and would never even consider using it since it relies on the subtle inflection of the spoken word.

Ok.

Usually (but not always) by adding a smiley at the end people can gather in what context the comment is made it, hopefully posts do not reported then as someone has taken offence. :thumbup:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gizmo68 said:

Usually (but not always) by adding a smiley at the end people can gather in what context the comment is made it, hopefully posts do not reported then as someone has taken offence. :thumbup:

Reminds me of The Fast Show sketch where the South African beautician (Arabella Weir) says something outrageously rude to someone but adds the rider "no offince" at the end, so that's alright then.

Alternatively you could just ignore vexatious reportage. I would.

• Like 1

Just want to thank everyone for your replies as it's been a great help and I am definitely going to do it as they all look so much better I think 

• Like 1