PM statement at Number 10

Laurie61

Just now, Laurie61 said:

And it came to pass, in the land of Britain, that the High Priestess went unto the people and said, Behold, I bring ye tidings of great joy. For on the eighth

That's what Trundlenuts link linked to.

PM's deal with DUP may have a couple of potential issues in the cunning plan .....

1)  Ruth Davidson reveals gay rights fears over Theresa May deal with the DUP

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/ruth-davidson-reveals-gay-rights-fears-over-theresa-may-deal-with-the-dup-a3561796.html

Ms Davidson, who became engaged to partner Jen Wilson in May 2016, later told the BBC: "I was fairly straightforward with her (Mrs May) and I told her that there were a number of things that count to me more than the party.  "One of them is country, one of the others is LGBTI rights.   "I asked for a categoric assurance that if any deal or scoping deal was done with the DUP there would be absolutely no rescission of LGBTI rights in the rest of the UK, in Great Britain, and that we would use any influence that we had to advance LGBTI rights in Northern Ireland

ruthdavidson.jpg

2)Theresa May to enter into 'confidence and supply' arrangement with the Democratic Unionists

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-conservative-dup-confidence-and-supply-coalition-formal-cabinet-positions-northern-irish-a7783741.html

The Conservatives will be supported in parliament by the right-wing Democratic Unionist Party on the basis of an agreement known as "confidence and supply", stopping short of the full coalition government that had been rumoured.   Theresa May said on Friday morning that she would seek to form a government with the assistance of the DUP, hours after losing her party's majority in the general election.    Government Chief Whip Gavin Williamson has been in Belfast on Saturday to open discussions with the DUP on "how best they can provide support" for the Tories, according to a Number 10 source......... The party, which is deeply informed by Protestant religious views, has prevented the legalisation of same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland.  A coalition deal would have threatened to undermine the Good Friday agreement, the centre piece of the Northern Ireland peace process.  Under the terms of the agreement, Unionists and Republicans are supposed to share power, with the Westminster government acting as a broker, and can step in if relations  between the two groups, Sinn Fein and the Democratic Unionist Party, break down.  If the DUP were themselves part of the government, the neutral role of the UK government would be compromised.  

Edited by lol-lol

Well look on the positive side...

The SNP lost big

UKIP got no seats

The lib Dems got seats

And no one got overall control

Good result all round...???!!!

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

The SNP lost big

UKIP got no seats

The lib Dems got seats

You didn't mention that the tories didn't get a majority and there's a hung parliament or the fact they've done a deal with DUP therefore, in essence, tearing up the Good Friday Agrrement let alone the fact that her attempt at a coronation has left her in a weaker position to deal with the Brexit elephant in the room.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skomaz said:

The SNP lost big

UKIP got no seats

The lib Dems got seats

Some great photos and videos though.........(weird photo)

nick-clegg-0.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg-loses-seat-hallam-10588948 

And one form 2010 and probably why he lost his seat.....

Image result for 2010 nick clegg signing fees pledge

Edited by lol-lol

6 hours ago, Lee01 said:

You didn't mention that the tories didn't get a majority and there's a hung parliament or the fact they've done a deal with DUP therefore, in essence, tearing up the Good Friday Agrrement let alone the fact that her attempt at a coronation has left her in a weaker position to deal with the Brexit elephant in the room.

And since "progress" on a deal with the 6 counties/26 counties Ireland issue is one of the 3 pillars, the others being the quantification of the outstanding debt the UK has with the outstanding UK debt to the EU and the outlook for EU citizens in the UK/EU, a Con deal with the DUP further complicates sorting the BREXIT out potentially pushing out the timing of getting working on any trade deal that might be possible.

FTA normally take 4 to 9 years.   

http://news.sky.com/story/how-long-until-britain-leaves-the-eu-live-countdown-10817397

Edited by lol-lol

15 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Some good news at last. The orange man-child doesn't want to come until we like him :D

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold?CMP=twt_gu

Might be quite a wait on that one.

Mind you TM will just invite him to some shed in Shropshire with a small crowd of orderly acolytes.  The Ginger Don will think everyone loves him and go home happy and the rest of the nation won't even know he's been.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lee01 said:

err,,   read the post - I said No-one got overall control...  since when is that not a hung parliament???

I guess what I find strange is Jeremy Corbyn, despite getting fewer votes and less seats still thinks he should be PM...   does he not understand the vote that has just taken place??  Or is he like the SNP and anti-brexit lot tat want to keep asking until they get a result they like?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I guess what I find strange is Jeremy Corbyn, despite getting fewer votes and less seats still thinks he should be PM...   does he not understand the vote that has just taken place??  Or is he like the SNP and anti-brexit lot tat want to keep asking until they get a result they like?

If TM fails to put together a workable coalition then JC is entitled to try to make his own coalition. If he can put together enough bodies to be bigger than the tories then he could get in as a rainbow coalition. But TM has first dibs and if she can do something with the DUP that'll settle it.

For a while anyway.I think if there is another vote anytime soon JC will get in, although I'd guess as a coalition as well but with the greens and SNP. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Aspman said:

If TM fails to put together a workable coalition then JC is entitled to try to make his own coalition. If he can put together enough bodies to be bigger than the tories then he could get in as a rainbow coalition. But TM has first dibs and if she can do something with the DUP that'll settle it.

For a while anyway.I think if there is another vote anytime soon JC will get in, although I'd guess as a coalition as well but with the greens and SNP. 

... and indeed the Lemmingcrats.

18 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

That's because the DUP cannot be seen to be 'negotiating' on a Sunday...   it's nothing new if you are familiar with the politics and religious ways of Northern Ireland.

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Exactly - whichever way you cut it, the result means that she has first shout at it.

53 minutes ago, skomaz said:

That's because the DUP cannot be seen to be 'negotiating' on a Sunday...   it's nothing new if you are familiar with the politics and religious ways of Northern Ireland.

I am. Thanks for your, as usual, insightful input. :speechless:

The point is she went to the Queen to say she was forming a Government before she was able to form a majority, possibly even telling HM porkies about having done a deal  before one had been done.

And this;

"In a night of farce, No 10 first announced that an agreement had been reached – only to release a second statement, just five hours later, admitting it had not."

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

The point is she went to the Queen to say she was forming a Government before she was able to form a majority, possibly even telling HM porkies about having done a deal  before one had been done.

And this;

"In a night of farce, No 10 first announced that an agreement had been reached – only to release a second statement, just five hours later, admitting it had not."

I think Theresa is starting to learn that right now she can't snap her fingers to get what she wants. I think she has a little echo chamber around her of yes-men and no one is going to stand up and say "no you can't" "we can't do that" "it depends on..."

4 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I think Theresa is starting to learn that right now she can't snap her fingers to get what she wants. I think she has a little echo chamber around her of yes-men and no one is going to stand up and say "no you can't" "we can't do that" "it depends on..."

I wouldn't be surprised if she's gone within six weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee01 said:

Now now - no need to be narky!