Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

8 hours ago, drewellis said:

Mine does this occasionally (L&K so has DCC)... I just think it's the CV boots creaking slightly, and I can hear it (only just) because my 220 engine is so nice and quiet..

My friend has a Golf GTE and it does the same thing, audible because the car is electric and is super quiet. His also has creaking CV boots when on full lock, reversing into a space etc. Once I'd heard it on his car I was reassured it's probs just a VAG thing & nothing broken/unsafe to worry about.

To be clear, mine is not as bad as in the video posted so I'll keep my ears out and use this thread as ammo with Simpsons if it gets worse :)

Yeah its def not just the cv boots. It's a horrendous noise. I would put my money on knackered bushing. We'll see though. I've been pretty handy with the spanners in years gone by.... owning a TVR and various kit cars made it pretty mandatory....

ill not be second guessing the experts though. It will come out in the wash.

• Like 1

CV joints is another issue... mine was clicking on lock, dealer checked them and they were bone dry. Pack with grease and find since... no splits either so it left the factory like this.

• Like 2

Just picked her up from Allams, smooth and silent as she should be. 

They replaced the top mount on the driver side. And then lubricated everything up. 

Considering I've had it all re-greased before (to no success), it seemingly was the top mount that needed replacing as the culprit. 

Will report back in a few days to ensure the silence remains. Perhaps raise this with the chaps at Bickertons Nick if they haven't thought about investiating the top mounts already? 

• Like 2

Update from me, I noticed that braking under 20mph over a bump causes severe creaking which is consistent with others, but no noise at all during any other type of driving. Is this still a fault? Should I take it to the dealers? Cheers :)

Thanks Dilz will do. Drewellis yeah take it in. If you listen carefully without the blower or stereo on you will probably hear it under normal driving as well but not ad often or as bad.

• Like 1

This is mainly because of misuse or excessive use of water jets in wheel archers in carwash. After a detailed and proper lubrication (not wd40 cleaner spray things) dont use water jets close so you keep them lubricated.

2 hours ago, rumiexile said:

This is mainly because of misuse or excessive use of water jets in wheel archers in carwash. After a detailed and proper lubrication (not wd40 cleaner spray things) dont use water jets close so you keep them lubricated.

No it's not lol !

• 3 weeks later...

Slight update....

Cars been with Dealers a week tomorrow. They are waiting for a chassis listening device to be shipped from Skoda. Hopefully that will be arriving today or tomorrow.

What has made me laugh this morning though ..... I have a 66 plate Octavia that has done 7k miles. Guess what happens when going over bumps and braking .... Yup lol !

Not as bad but mine started silent and gradually got louder.....

All points to a fault across the platform imo.... I'm waiting for Skoda to say oh they all do that sir it's a feature of the design that kicks in after a few thousand miles...... Just to alert you that you are going over bumps and rough road ;-)

Dealers been great. 

Yeah I cant wait to find out what it is.... Must be something that started deteriorating from day one ... Not to worry i'll be driving the firms 8 year old Astra this afternoon..... That's lovely and quiet over bumps :biggrin:

Now I've noticed it on this Octavia I've posted a thread bringing it to the attention of our brothers and sisters in the Octavia forum... Interesting to see if they have noticed it ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickTT said:

Mine is like it was at day 1 again now. I just have the radio volume higher.

Gave up with it.

I'll not be giving up :-) as plan is to keep car for a number of years. 

• Like 2

On 2017-6-12 at 16:33, Nick_H said:

I'll not be giving up :-) as plan is to keep car for a number of years. 

I'll be mentioning mine to the dealers when it goes back in to have a couple of things replaced under warranty, so please do keep us updated :)

By the way what is a chassis listening device, and what will they do with it? 

Cheers

• Like 1

I think it's basically a microphone / monitoring device that they can place wherever to detect exactly where the noise is coming from.

• Like 1

Well picked motor up this morning. Its great to have her back ! Octavia is great but god what a difference !!

Not had a chance to test yet so will report later. Usual great service from Bickertons :-) They even wanted to take me out for a test drive but I didn't want to waste the Techs time. 3 Years of warranty left so panic from me.

They have fitted new antiroll bar bushes and bolts and say the replacement bolts are slightly longer.

16 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Well picked motor up this morning. Its great to have her back ! Octavia is great but god what a difference !!

Not had a chance to test yet so will report later. Usual great service from Bickertons :-) They even wanted to take me out for a test drive but I didn't want to waste the Techs time. 3 Years of warranty left so panic from me.

They have fitted new antiroll bar bushes and bolts and say the replacement bolts are slightly longer.

Good to hear, we look forward to finding out if the creaks are still there :) if not, they'll be fitting a fair few of those parts pretty soon lol. And this fault pops up across all cars on the MQB platform it seems, my friends mk7 Golf GTE does the same thing. We have a mk7 Golf GTI and a 66 plate A3 cabrio; luckily up to now they haven't showed any signs of this failure but will keep my ears out for it

• Like 1

Well that's it ! Fantastic work by Bickertons. Not even the slightest sign of the noise even when traversing the road where I took the video.

Delighted is an understatement.

:biggrin:

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Well that's it ! Fantastic work by Bickertons. Not even the slightest sign of the noise even when traversing the road where I took the video.

Delighted is an understatement.

:biggrin:

Nice! I'm going to ask my dealer (Simpsons Skoda Preston) to fit these improved parts under warranty to stop my creakiness :)

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 14:48, Nick_H said:

Is there a TPI for this yet?

Skoda Sweden havn't heard about it. :/

Have/had the same problem on my 2016 Superb L&K. Rear right antiroll busch. The fix? They tightened the bolts even more. From what i've heard from other mechs it's NOT a good idea - it could be a temporary fix, but could also be dangerous. The bolt are supposed to be tightened to 45nm, no more, no less. 

Toughts?

Ps. I hate this phones autocorrect :D

Hi mrBira ! Im not sure. All I know is my dealer did the fault finding and sorted. I think they were in contact with Skoda. 

If your dealer wants to tighten the bolts beyond the reccomended  torq settings I'd be temped to ask them to sign a disclaimer that's it safe. See if they are as keen then ....

4 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

My car is not quite as bad now it's hot, but it's still doing it. @Nick_H what exactly did your dealer say was wrong? I'm tempted to raise this next time the car's in, but if it's not flagged with SUK I'm half expecting them to fob me off.

Just said they changed the antiroll bar bushes and new longer bolts. Guess it was a combination of crap quality bushes and the bolts not long enough maybe causing problem ? It was silent for a year.

• Like 1

Remember when I said they fixed mine? Replaced the top mounts and the bushes and it was squeaky clean and noise free thereafter? 

Well you'll be pleased to know that it didn't stay squeaky clean for long. 

Maybe 2 weeks after collecting from dealers, the noise is back. 

Haven't had the time to get it booked back in with work being so hectic at the moment, but I will be on the phone to them very soon. 

Not good.