Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

Apologies for not updating since July! In the end, my dealership Simpsons Skoda Preston had the car for a full day, one guy was assigned to look into this for me. He kept removing bits and moving bits etc all day followed by a little test drive, in the end he found the source of the noise. It was indeed the rubber bushes rubbing on the wide bit of metal under the drive shaft, I think it's the lower suspension arm? He said it was that bad, all the paint had been rubbed off (and showed me some photos he'd taken for me on his phone). He checked the part numbers to make sure I had all the latest revisions of bushes etc so probably the same as yours Nick. 

He said he'd slid the Bushes as far up as possible away from the arms, and absolutely swamped them in CV grease.

The noise disappeared completely, but in the last few weeks I've noticed it is creeping back, so it lasted about 4 months (7k miles). I'm going to get them to do it again unless they can fix the damn thing properly. Tbh it doesn't bother me too much, but I'd rather it not happen of course. 

Edited by drewellis
Added mileage
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/02/2018 at 09:46, MartiniB said:

@drewellis

can you please share pictures and part codes?

Hi, I never got sent the pictures just showed them on the technicians phone. I've just been through all my paperwork and can't seem to find the service sheet from that visit - will keep looking and let you know if/when I find it! :sadsmile:

Edited by drewellis

Right folks. I have squeaky knocking bushes front and back. 30k the rattley front end it most predominantly when going over cobbles at slow speed. Recent MOT and dealership checks and Hackney Test have found no wear or any play in any bushes. I’ve decided to upgrade all the bushes for polyurethane bushes front and back. Getting them fitted and full alignment done on Fri next week. So I will report back. This is the only issue and I would seriously consider getting rid of the car if this doesn’t cure it. 

• Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

Ok all ! Well motor now at 17.5k and will be 3 years old in October.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my groaning suspension is on the way back.... Hardly noticible yet but the time scales figure if you read this thread.

Will keep updated ....

Updated update. Yup noise is back almost a year and pretty much double the mileage it started. Started around 9k if I remember and just under 18k now.

Symptoms are exactly the same as before and are gradually getting worse.

I've mailed dealer who thankfully are always spot on.

Main worry is if this is going to happen every year and 9k miles its not really acceptable. Not too bad if you have a lease but I intend to keep the car for some time. What happens when my warranty runs out ?

Fault was traced to front anti roll bar bolts and bushes which were replaced and totally cured the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Interesting development .... Car in today. Now remember last time it was in the bushes were actually replaced and this cured the problem for a year and about 8k miles.

This time Skoda have told the dealer that they have to use a different type of grease instead of replacing the bushes lol !!!

So.... Place bets now on :

1) Will it be a life long fix and everything will be sweetness and light ?

2) Will it actually have made any difference at all ?

3) If it has temporarily fixed the noise when will it come back compared to the bush replacement of 1 year and 8k miles ?

I have another 2 years of warranty but i'm determined to get a permanent fix to this as I will be keeping the car. If it carried on after the warranty expires then   it will be very interesting to see how Skoda approach it as I have it fully documented at the dealer what's happening.

• Like 1

Bushes lubed and all good so far. Will it last a full year and 8k miles like the bush replacement before ? Time will tell :-)

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 08/03/2018 at 17:33, Jonnie5kelso said:

Right folks. I have squeaky knocking bushes front and back. 30k the rattley front end it most predominantly when going over cobbles at slow speed. Recent MOT and dealership checks and Hackney Test have found no wear or any play in any bushes. I’ve decided to upgrade all the bushes for polyurethane bushes front and back. Getting them fitted and full alignment done on Fri next week. So I will report back. This is the only issue and I would seriously consider getting rid of the car if this doesn’t cure it. 

How are the poly bushes holding up?

• 2 months later...

I think I have exactly the same issue son our 2015 DCC Superb. We had the rear trailing arm bushes replaced last year (discussed here):

This made a huge difference but are still left with a creaking sound from the front over larger bumps at lower speeds. See vid. Does this sound familiar to other people with the issue?

I actually put the car up on ramps at the weekend to take a look but all looks well with no significant play or misalignment in any of the bushes. Whatever it is, it's obviously not true wear and tear but instead a problem with the bushes themselves :(

FYI, a quick scan around other VW forums suggests this is not a Skoda specific issue but fairly common on the new common platform.

Armed with the vid I may approach Skoda again (they reckoned they could not replicate the issue at the last service).

Suspension1.MOV

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm driving a 65plate 150tdi dsg superb with the same issue, out of warranty I fear il end up with a hefty bill taking it to the dealer. When i travel over speed bumps around 10mph i can hear this noise, and its embarrassing. So loud. Sounds like somebody bouncing on a trampoline with rusty springs.

I've already had lots of work done under warranty, including new drivers side door trims rubber and chrome, drivers side window switch actuator when I lost the one touch, heat shields tightened around the engine bay, MFD scroll wheels replaced on steering wheel after they cracked and crumbled, this car seems to have so many issues. 

The TPMS keeps saying I have a flat tyre, each time it's a different wheel too. Skoda said I have had a puncture repair in the past and you're losing air, each time I check the pressures following the TPMS lighting up they all read perfect, for weeks! Doesn't make sense. One of these days il get a puncture and keep driving.

I've even noticed the bonnet doesn't seem to line up straight, more of an overlap on one side where it meets the front arch panels.

Think il just leave the noise and see if it gets worse or just replace the bushes later on, I'm only at 37k now.

Edited by BoyesenREEDS
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BoyesenREEDS said:

The TPMS keeps saying I have a flat tyre

the same, after several false alarms i blow up rear tire and then installed DIRECT TPMS

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/462689-tyre-pressure-loss-indicator/?do=findComment&comment=5194132

On 14/01/2019 at 08:02, iperry said:

I think I have exactly the same issue son our 2015 DCC Superb. We had the rear trailing arm bushes replaced last year (discussed here):

This made a huge difference but are still left with a creaking sound from the front over larger bumps at lower speeds. See vid. Does this sound familiar to other people with the issue?

I actually put the car up on ramps at the weekend to take a look but all looks well with no significant play or misalignment in any of the bushes. Whatever it is, it's obviously not true wear and tear but instead a problem with the bushes themselves :(

FYI, a quick scan around other VW forums suggests this is not a Skoda specific issue but fairly common on the new common platform.

Armed with the vid I may approach Skoda again (they reckoned they could not replicate the issue at the last service).

Suspension1.MOV

Hi, any luck with resolving the front creak / groan? 

Mine sounds exactly the same. Especially at low speed and maybe when braking. 

It's a lot more pronounced in comfort and normal mode (DCC) and a lot less noticeable in sport mode. 

I'm booked in with the dealer in two weeks time (for the third time) but they don't have a clue on what to do. 

Thanks 

Sadly not. I have a theory though.

Knocking is def rear bushes (on of which is currently working its way out of the housing (terrific, back to dealer for that).

I think the creaking is the rubber bushes generally. Not sure how this is possible since cars have featured bushes like these for decades but it seems to be an issue blighting the whole VW family. Reason my confidence is increasing on this is that last week, when we drove in some proper heavy rain, the noises all went away. Basically, the water acts as a lube and quietens everything down. Next day, nice and dry, the noise is back with a vengeance.

That would certainly tally with the apparent dealer fix which is to spray in a load of grease. I doubt that it could really be all the bushes making this noise so most likely it is the ARB bushes (where the ARB is bolted to the subframe) that are at fault. Irritatingly,  they are very difficult to get to so not an easy home job (or dealership job for that matter).

Cheers,

ip

• Thanks 1

On 12/03/2019 at 09:08, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Hi, any luck with resolving the front creak / groan? 

Mine sounds exactly the same. Especially at low speed and maybe when braking. 

It's a lot more pronounced in comfort and normal mode (DCC) and a lot less noticeable in sport mode. 

I'm booked in with the dealer in two weeks time (for the third time) but they don't have a clue on what to do. 

Thanks 

Yes read the thread !

• Like 1

Crawled around the front of the car the other day spraying all the bushings and anti roll bar linkages/bolts with lubricant, seems to have eliminated the creaking.  I know it won't last but feels like a small victory.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ChaybobbTidbit said:

Thanks, there's just so many types of solutions. I get a bit lost.

In your case, it was new bushes and a special type of grease? Is there anything more specific I can tell them please?

The bolts they used were a little longer I believe... Best thing to do would be to print out this thread. 

• 4 months later...

I'm glad i found this thread!!

I've got a 16 Octavia Scout 2l 55k KMs diesel and I'm glad my engine is louder as it drowns out the noise.

My creaks be going on for about 6 months, even the 70 year old mother in law can hear it.  It occurs at low speeds, particularly on the right  side when shifting the car weight.

The car was back in for about the 4th time, this time the head mech heard the noise but couldn't locate.  A grease and tighten ad a week later the noise is worse!

My biggest issue I think is I'm in Australia so will get some "climate" excuse.

Oh well back to the dealers tomorrow.  The poor receptionist knows my name and reg as I keep going back with same issue.

My plan of attack is:

- Purchase additional 2 year warranty [2 months left]

- log a DISS report

- provide them with the thread info

- keep fingers crossed

Wish me luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2017 at 20:41, unclerichy said:

Mine's with the dealer at the moment for the same noise (DCC suspension). Only happens when the car is cold and only over the first few speed bumps on the way to work. I don't have my foot on the brake when going over said bumps and it makes the groaning noise.

It's also in for (possibly) leaking hatch struts, vibrating door cards, creaking door seals and mis-aligned chrome trim. The latter has only happened since it when in for the chrome trim recall.

Interestingly I have a Superb 1.4 150 ACT SE courtesy car on 17"s. The suspension is silent as the grave and the ride is much quieter and less bumpy (yes, I know that 17" vs 19" will make some difference, but not that much).  The throttle take-up (it's a manual) is also much more 'perky' than my DSG.

Maybe the 16k price difference between that and my 280 L&K buys me the extra noises :sadsmile:

Mine does the same. With the dealer now but for something else. Told them about the noise. Just wondering if yours was fixed and what did they do? Cheers

They may slap some grease around; they  may change some bolts. Had both done on mine and it still starts to creak again after about 3 or 4 months. There is a TSB out for it since 2017.