Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

1 hour ago, Jamesnz said:

Mine does the same. With the dealer now but for something else. Told them about the noise. Just wondering if yours was fixed and what did they do? Cheers

Yes mine appears to be fixed. Now been a year still silent. What dealer did described above.

3 hours ago, Jamesnz said:

Mine does the same. With the dealer now but for something else. Told them about the noise. Just wondering if yours was fixed and what did they do? Cheers

The last attempt from back in March seems to have cracked it (touch wood) with no more clonking/creaking noises.

Repair order reads:

"... removed lower traction control arm with lithium grease and reassembled" (I'm guessing that they missed a word or two in that description).

and it lists 4 bolts, 2 nuts, 6 hex nuts, 1 paste, 1 screw  and 1 bolt in the parts list.

Repair order number is 117953 from Bickertons in Sheffield if that helps.

Edited by unclerichy
ironic typo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

The last attempt from back in March seems to have cracked it (touch wood) with no more clonking/creaking noises.

Repair order reads:

"... removed lower traction control arm with lithium grease and reassembled" (I'm guessing that they missing a word or two in that description).

and it lists 4 bolts, 2 nuts, 6 hex nuts, 1 paste, 1 screw  and 1 bolt in the parts list.

Cheers, I will mention it to the dealer when I pick up the car this week.

• 1 month later...

I just got my 2019 Superb Sportline back from Bickerton/Rainsworth in Sheffield yesterday, after it was fitted with a new rear roll bar and bushes. Nice and quiet now.

I get the impression they're not allowed to actually talk about it as an issue - let's just say there wasn't any resistance when I took it in to be checked. They just ordered the parts in and sorted it under warranty.

Hush Hush...

On 11/08/2019 at 21:23, unclerichy said:

Repair order reads:

"... removed lower traction control arm with lithium grease and reassembled" (I'm guessing that they missed a word or two in that description).

On 29/07/2019 at 23:23, drestarr said:

I'm glad i found this thread!!

I've got a 16 Octavia Scout 2l 55k KMs diesel and I'm glad my engine is louder as it drowns out the noise.

My creaks be going on for about 6 months, even the 70 year old mother in law can hear it.  It occurs at low speeds, particularly on the right  side when shifting the car weight.

The car was back in for about the 4th time, this time the head mech heard the noise but couldn't locate.  A grease and tighten ad a week later the noise is worse!

My biggest issue I think is I'm in Australia so will get some "climate" excuse.

Oh well back to the dealers tomorrow.  The poor receptionist knows my name and reg as I keep going back with same issue.

My plan of attack is:

- Purchase additional 2 year warranty [2 months left]

- log a DISS report

- provide them with the thread info

- keep fingers crossed

Wish me luck

@drestarr I'm in Melbourne and have had the same creaking for the last 6 months.

The car's at the dealer today for a door-handle replacement (internal driver's door - it warped in the heat last summer) and they had a look at the noise.

They just rang - they're replacing the grease as per @unclerichy's post - just need to order in the one-time-use bolts.

Thankfully there was no issue about it being covered by warranty 😉

Jimbo

• 1 month later...

I thought it might be worthwhile me adding to this thread also. 

I have a 2018 Superb L&K and it first started creaking in Jan this year. It went into the dealer in Feb to be investigated and remedied and like Nick, it had the anti roll bar bushes greased and an updated bolt fitted. The problem seemed better although I wasn't 100% sure it was completely fixed, but I put it down to paranoia. Anyway, about 2 months ago I started to hear the creak coming back again (despite the GF saying she couldn't hear anything), so I let it develop. In the usual spring / autumn conditions (about 6 - 12 degrees and damp), it was quite noticeable. So I took it back to the dealer and explained it had already been in once and tried to explain the remedy Nick had to fix his. But they ignored me and just did whatever it was they did. I went back to collect the car and I didn't even get out the car park before I noticed it was exactly the same as it was when it went in. So I went straight back in, got the technician in the car and he agreed it was still creaking. So it was booked back in again and I tried to get them to change the anti roll bar bushes and new bolts. But they wouldn't have it and explained that as it is warranty work, they would have to be lead by Skoda UK. Whilst it was in, they used a chassis ear to record the noise and sent that recording to Skoda. After another week, it was booked in for wishbone / control arm bushes. Whilst is was in, both the wishbones and all bushes were replaced along with the lithium grease and new bolts, and it (touch wood) sounds much better.

Hopefully this will fix it, but only time will tell. I thought it would be worth sharing along with Nick_H's fix. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I took mine into the dealer twice now. But the noise still there. They are telling me coz it's taking the load when I go over the speed bump especially when I apply the breaks. The skoda servise manager will be here next month so he will go for a test drive with me and see what he says. I think it's bull**** they telling me it's normal. Still got 3.5 years of warranty. So it will get fixed no matter what. 

• Like 1

@Jamesnz The intermittent issue is something I have dubbed the curse of the mechanic. You hear it often, but that moment the mechanic is there, the problem stops. Perhaps we should all have a Skoda mechanic in boot at all times and then we'll never have problem 😁 On a more serious note, if they are disputing it and it is in warrant,y, insist on a chassis ear listening device and let the record it. I believe they place microphones at different points so if there is a noise, it should pick it up.

@Nick_H yep definitely fingers crossed, but I think if there is an issue again, the autumn / winter weather is likely to force it before the warranty expires. 

• Like 1

I have 2017 Sportline 2.0 TSI, which doesn't have creaking or groaning suspension, more a drumming resonance noise coming from the front suspension, which is intrusively loud on rough tarmac. It has gradually come on over the past 3 to 4 months and wonder if it is due to hitting a bad pothole, which made quite a bang. I have eliminated the tyres as being the problem, as I have replaced the P7s with Goodyear Assymetric 5s. I have also replaced the shocks with Koni special active ones, which incidentally control the bounce much better over bumps than the stock shocks (I don't have DCC by the way). I have also had the tracking checked and adjusted.

Could the noise be caused by damage to one of the bushes either on the anti-roll bar or suspension arms? Has anyone else experienced this issue, which is similar to the noise my VRS Octavia used to make from the rear suspension?

My suspension noise was never resolved in MK3 Superb. It pushed me that far that I've bought Volvo V90 instead. Price can't match of course, but at least all the damn noise is gone... 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update I have a sneaking suspicion my suspension creak is on the way back … I'll have a drive down my test road in the next few days to confirm. Car due into workshop in next week or so for broken cruise and a very annoying rattle so if it is i'll let them know beforehand to have a look...

Oh dear, that's frustrating. No doubt it will suffer the mechanics curse when you take the car in i.e. when the mechanic is present, the noise won't be! It might be worth asking the workshop to have a chassis ear ready for when your car is in. 

And I have to say my car has been SOOO much better since they have changed the wishbones. So my issue doesn't appear to be related to the anti roll bar bushes. 

Mine was never gone until I sold the car. Now the Volvo has zero issues with suspension noise.

I had DCC however, but after wishbones were changed, noise was gone for about a week or two, then the noise was back. They applied some sort of paste and I had zero squeaks for year and 6 months. So it lasted long time. But, while the "squeaking" was gone, there was always suspension noise present. Basically over bumps the suspension softly knocked (that was in the "spec" of the car) and the knocks were clear on the "offroads" like small stones/gravel. I went to dealer at least 8x for the same issue, it was never fixed. I was really dissapointed by dealer and skoda. This is my main reason to replace the car. Noises.

P.S.: My mother has same issues with Octavia (non-dcc). Suspension wishbones replaced 4x under warranty in 5 years ownership. Squeaking was never gone. It was just "quieter". Dealer said many times noise isn't there, we drove together, noise was there, they said they'll fix it, they never did. Honestly another huge disappointment. My family friends have 5 years old Passat. Exact same issues, after 4th passat with which they drove over 2 million KM (all cars together) they are never getting another VW group car again. Shame. 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2019 at 14:10, jim_r said:

@drestarr I'm in Melbourne and have had the same creaking for the last 6 months.

The car's at the dealer today for a door-handle replacement (internal driver's door - it warped in the heat last summer) and they had a look at the noise.

They just rang - they're replacing the grease as per @unclerichy's post - just need to order in the one-time-use bolts.

Thankfully there was no issue about it being covered by warranty 😉

Jimbo

Sorry for slack response.

Apparently they replaced my frony suspension arms and the noise is now gone.

However recently I've been hearing a low whirring coming from the front left, sounds a bit like a bearing on way out (66k kms).

Due to get my rear boot (estate) windows replaced because the silver trims are falling off...

To chip in for reference:

2018 Superb. Had the groaning noise from front suspension (front left mostly) - as per original post when going over speed bumps is most noticeable, for over 6 months (so 15 months from new). Mentioned at service in Jan 2020, and they agreed and tried to fix by greasing but failed! Taken in 2 weeks later to replace front left  suspension arm. This still did not fixed so they replace "all front suspension arms and loads of other related stuff" and the noise is now gone. All in Warranty.  Just wonder (from the posts) how long  the noise will be gone for!

(I also have an internal rattle I need to track down now...a wire is loose somewhere on passenger side I think.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenSh said:

To chip in for reference:

2018 Superb. Had the groaning noise from front suspension (front left mostly) - as per original post when going over speed bumps is most noticeable, for over 6 months (so 15 months from new). Mentioned at service in Jan 2020, and they agreed and tried to fix by greasing but failed! Taken in 2 weeks later to replace front left  suspension arm. This still did not fixed so they replace "all front suspension arms and loads of other related stuff" and the noise is now gone. All in Warranty.  Just wonder (from the posts) how long  the noise will be gone for!

(I also have an internal rattle I need to track down now...a wire is loose somewhere on passenger side I think.)

Sounds similar to mine. Initially had the anti roll bar greased and new bolts. Problem seem to go away. Problem came back and they initially greased the anti roll bar. Problem not resolved. They then changed both wishbones and problem gone for now. I can't comment at the moment with regards longevity. But this time, it sounds better than the first time it was in. 

Interesting ref the rattle. In the middle of last year, someone pulled out of a junction and drove into the side of me. So the car went in to the garage (via her insurance company). After a couple of weeks I got the car back. But boy was there an annoying rattle. I took it back to the garage. They fettled with the doors / hinges etc. They said the problem had gone away. I got the car back, and heard the rattle fairly quickly. I sent the car back in again. They did extensive investigation and found the source was ..... the door umbrella. As part of the repair they had to remove the door trim, so they obviously didn't put the umbrella back in properly. Might be worth checking that as a quick fix.

On 24/01/2020 at 17:49, drestarr said:

Sorry for slack response.

Apparently they replaced my frony suspension arms and the noise is now gone.

Mine has been good since October when they re-greased.

Interestingly, they said that the grease that's used in the factory dries out, so they were replacing it with lithium grease.

Jim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My car is going in for a routine service soon and I want to get them to look at the creaking suspension.

There is a lot to digest in this thread but the summary seems to be that the following is the solution:

Replace anti-roll bar bolts with modified design.

Grease wishbone bushings with lithium grease.

Has the above generally worked for people?

1 hour ago, Steviedakota said:

My car is going in for a routine service soon and I want to get them to look at the creaking suspension.

There is a lot to digest in this thread but the summary seems to be that the following is the solution:

Replace anti-roll bar bolts with modified design.

Grease wishbone bushings with lithium grease.

Has the above generally worked for people?

Yes... Although mine appears to be returning ... Not 100% yet though. Have a look through the thread at my posts it will give you an idea on how long it lasts... This time has been longest.

3 hours ago, Mickey43 said:

I've just learned to live with it.  Doesnt happen in sport mode and things are stiffened up.

The thread is specifically about non active suspension.... The probs people were having with the active was I believe different. 

Mine ( 2016 56k miles DCC) creaked and groaned on speed bumps and mini roundabouts. First time dealer had a play (allegedly) during a service, no real change, next time they re greased with 'white grease' as 'official' grease was not available. No bolts changed AFAIK. , but car is a lot quieter over those low speed large deflection bumps . (since Jan 4)