Poor Radio Reception

I have been suffering from poor reception on national FM stations, such as Radio 2 and Radio 4. 

Sometimes it's fine, but at other times it will crackle and hiss. I have tried switching to DAB, but I find that it doesn't take long for the DAB signal to disappear, so the radio switches back to FM and the poor reception. 

Also, I can sometimes drive for 100+ miles during the rush hour and not hear a single traffic announcement. At other times, I am bombarded with traffic announcements from far and wide. 

Anyone else having problems with FM reception?

No problems at all (and I live in rural Cornwall).  Normally I'm on digital, occasionally it jumps to FM but generally I have full signal (I do los digital in the Tamar Tunnel)!

7 hours ago, penguin17 said:

You have a radio that's capable of blocking out Chris Evans, Jo Wiley and Fearne Cotton....result! :thumbup::D

Indeed. 

I only listen to R2 for Ken Bruce and Popmaster!

• 1 month later...

You should not be missing R2 on either FM or Dab nationally. Even in Warwickshire.

I have traveled all over the country and never miss a beat of radio.

My wife's Polo had a similar problem and started switch back and forth FM/Dab.  Put into the dealer and fount it was the aerial control unit was earthing.

Suggest get dealer to check.

10 hours ago, mrburns said:

You should not be missing R2 on either FM or Dab nationally. Even in Warwickshire.

I have traveled all over the country and never miss a beat of radio.

My wife's Polo had a similar problem and started switch back and forth FM/Dab.  Put into the dealer and fount it was the aerial control unit was earthing.

Suggest get dealer to check.

Sounds like a likely suspect. 

• Like 1

@daveo138 can you please share later on the results ? I do have as well problem with FM reception (different station, another country) while dealer said "all is fine". Don't you have also rear mounted camera ?

• Haha 1

Yes, I do have a rear mounted camera, but I'm sure I still have the problem with it disconnected. 

It may be a while before I get it looked at, as I don't really want to have to book it in just for this problem. I will probably leave it until the service is due, which is about another 9000 miles/5 months. 

Edited by daveo138

Actually I do have also rear mounted camera - for me I tried to disconnect it and it didn't indicate any improvements....however I didn't try to dismount it completely yet....

• 1 year later...
On 04/06/2017 at 13:32, sharkys said:

@daveo138 can you please share later on the results ? I do have as well problem with FM reception (different station, another country) while dealer said "all is fine". Don't you have also rear mounted camera ?

Just for completeness...

One dealer looked at the problem and said there was nothing wrong. Another dealer said it needed a software update. 

I have since discovered that it was indeed the rear mounted camera causing the problem. I don’t know if it’s because it’s a cheapo camera, or if a better quality item would cause the same problem. Just disconnecting it from the power socket cured the problem. 

Anyone else have experience of this?  I may have to start a new thread on the rear mounted camera. 

I have an aukey dr02d dual camera and i havent noticed my radio signal going. I use DAB all the time.   My camera isnt stuck directly on thr screen, its stuck under the high level brakelight so it sits more central.  Can just make it out in this pic. Screenshot_20180809-201450.thumb.jpg.f35747a3850e720c731662c76e15102a.jpg

Mine doesn't seem to switch between DAB & FM automatically, if it loses the DAB signal it's just a case of long periods of silence unless you manually switch it over, is it supposed to switch automatically?

Edited by The Skud

• 1 year later...
On 09/08/2018 at 20:17, Adrian55555 said:

I have an aukey dr02d dual camera and i havent noticed my radio signal going. I use DAB all the time.   My camera isnt stuck directly on thr screen, its stuck under the high level brakelight so it sits more central.  Can just make it out in this pic. Screenshot_20180809-201450.thumb.jpg.f35747a3850e720c731662c76e15102a.jpg

Can I ask what way your wiring comes into the boot lid. Is it from the passenger or driver side. I've run mine the passenger side and I'm losing the dab signal at times. For example at home I can't get absolute when the car is in the drive unless I have the boot lid open. If I disconnect the camera the signal comes back immediately. 

Thanks

Adrian. 

I really don't know I cant find much on the subject. 

I'm playing with it right now. If I move the camera from the mount into the car the radio reception returns. But as soon as I move it back to the glass it goes. Does the superb use the rear window as the dab aerial? I assumed it was on the roof?