Variable service Oil Change Vs Inspection

Apologies if this has already been covered numerous times, I can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I'm wondering what is the difference between the Oil Change service and the Inspection Services with Variable servicing? I guess Oil change does what it says on the tin, but is there an oil change in the Inspection service also? 

My car is set to Variable (I do 15k a year, motorway commute every day) and when I checked the Service menu last night, my Oil change is due in 4500 miles, and my Inspection is due in 11500. Does that mean following the Oil change, I'm going to be due another service including oil change 7k afterwards? Seems to defeat the object if so, I chose variable as 2 services a year on fixed seemed OTT and if I'm being honest a slight inconvenience. Was hoping Variable would reduce me to 1 service per year.

Also what kind of prices have you guys been paying for Oil change and Inspection Services? Are they roughly similar to the minor/major prices for fixed services? Thanks.

2017-05-04_08.25.41.jpg

Edited by ahenners

I'm aware of those prices, however they are based on, and apply to, fixed servicing time/distance and the minor/major services. That's part of my question in the OP; do the variable services equate to minor (oil change) and major (inspection) and are they charged the same?

You're right, those are fixed prices and in my experience you'll pay more if you are on variable servicing. Maybe if you push it you'll get lucky and get the variable service for the fixed price. As I see it with fixed you pay less more often, with variable you pay more but less often - so overall it's pretty much of a muchness.  Personally I'm happy with variable as less often = less hassle.

Also inspection would reset when they do the oil service I think so you wouldn't be doing it eg. 7k later. Bare in mind there other things that the indicator won't alert you to (I don't think) eg. DSG oil change at 40,000.

Edited by timmys
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, timmys said:

You're right, those are fixed prices and in my experience you'll pay more if you are on variable servicing. Maybe if you push it you'll get lucky and get the variable service for the fixed price. As I see it with fixed you pay less more often, with variable you pay more but less often - so overall it's pretty much of a muchness.  Personally I'm happy with variable as less often = less hassle.

Also inspection would reset when they do the oil service I think so you wouldn't be doing it eg. 7k later. Bare in mind there other things that the indicator won't alert you to (I don't think) eg. DSG oil change at 40,000.

Thanks, confirms what I suspected. Appreciate the response!

I've only ever gone to a local garage once a year for servicing and MOT. 

What is "inspection"? I assume it's basically "get a service" and I can get it done at my local garage (non-Skoda). 

And the oil change.. best to get it done when it says (though you're then getting less value from your service as they change the oil then, anyway)? 

I don't understand those 2 readings on the display either. Surely there should only be 1 reading and the service is combined?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyvee said:

That looks like it has been set to fixed intervals rather than variable to me :)

What mileage have you done so far and how old is the car?

Car was bought at exactly 3 years old and 15k. It's now on 23k and 3.5 years old, so the oil change will be due around 27/28k. It's had 3 services and was previously on the fixed regime as the original owner did 5k per year (though has the QI6 code on the sticker so must have left factory on variable).

From reading elsewhere, I believe the Inspection services are every 19k miles, so I guess that would tie in as the last service was @ 15k and the Inspection would fall around 34k. I'm tempted to get a minor service done in 2k (at 25k) and switch back to fixed. It looks like I'll be visiting a dealer twice by 35k anyway, and at least pricing is actually published and fixed for the minor/major services!

Never ever pay the £269 for a variable / inspection service unless you can be sure you're getting all the filters replaced.

The £149 fixed service is an oil and oil filter change.

The £269 service gets this plus a fuel, pollen and air filter only "if required", which is usually around 3 years / 60,000 miles.

Skoda will quite happily charge you £269 for a £149 oil change.

• Like 3

If you are doing approx. 16kpa then you should be fine on variable, if you are planning on keeping the car long term though stay on fixed intervals, the extra oil changes are better for the longevity of the turbo :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andyvee said:

If you are doing approx. 16kpa then you should be fine on variable, if you are planning on keeping the car long term though stay on fixed intervals, the extra oil changes are better for the longevity of the turbo :)

Yeah it's a long term keeper, and with my mileage and motorway commute I figured variable would be fine. In reality, the intervals are proving to be 12/13k max for the oil anyway, so might as well just go fixed as the interval isn't hugely different. If this proves better long term for the turbo etc. too then happy days. It was well serviced by its first owner so might as well continue this. Thanks for your input :)

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Never ever pay the £269 for a variable / inspection service unless you can be sure you're getting all the filters replaced.

The £149 fixed service is an oil and oil filter change.

The £269 service gets this plus a fuel, pollen and air filter only "if required", which is usually around 3 years / 60,000 miles.

Skoda will quite happily charge you £269 for a £149 oil change.

As the Pollen/Air/Fuel filter is only changed if required it the price still £269 or lowered accordingly ? I doubt it unless you question the bill

I always fill my Screenwash up myself ( before the service ) and then ask them to remove the £4.99 from the bill for screen wash as they haven't replenished it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

As the Pollen/Air/Fuel filter is only changed if required it the price still £269 or lowered accordingly ? I doubt it unless you question the bill

I always fill my Screenwash up myself ( before the service ) and then ask them to remove the £4.99 from the bill for screen wash as they haven't replenished it.

And I thought I was a tight wad... Love it!

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

And I thought I was a tight wad... Love it!

You need to be a True Yorkshire Man to be really tight wad, I see your from over the hills so you can't be that tight ( well not as tight as me )

The best things from Lancashire is Carrs Pasties, Bury Blacks and Greenhalgh pies ( Mrs G's from Bolton and comes a close second ) Actually Mr's G is the third best thing, second are the Wanderers 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

My company car skoda superb and two yetis have all been on variably servicing and they come up at 18K intervals approximately which is about every 14 months for me. They only seem to charge for items used, although the lease company actually pays the bills and decided it should be on variable regime.

Next Yeti will be my own but still used for work, so I intend to stay on variable at first. May take car into retirement at which point I will switch to fixed servicing yearly.

• 1 year later...

Morning.

I have an "inspection in 1100 miles " message appear on my screen. I have a 2016 Octavia estate which I have had on salary sacrifice for two years through Zenith car leasing. I have now bought the car off them so need to do the servicing etc myself.

I have done appx 37000 miles and I drive 20000 miles a year at least.

I have had an oil change only about 3000 miles ago.

Should this inspection be a basic service ? Would it be aswell for me to take it to a local garage or a Halfords etc ? Cheaper than Skoda I presume .

Many thanks,

Nick.  

6 hours ago, NICK87 said:

Should this inspection be a basic service ? Would it be aswell for me to take it to a local garage or a Halfords etc ? Cheaper than Skoda I presume .

Many thanks,

Nick.  

Do you know where it was last serviced?

Basically when the oïl was changed they should have also reset the inspection timer so that they were both the same.

Just go by mileage.  I don't think dealers know how to reset the computer properly. My display shows nonsense mileage and days. I am on variable servicing and had the car serviced in May and have only driven 1700 miles. Can anyone explain the displays (1) and (2) which are shown and when is my next service due?

DSC_0736.JPG

DSC_0737.JPG

Edited by edbostan