Help! Replacing an Injector

Things would be simple if you just said what you had right off.

How many miles, when remapped by who, when you know rhe spark plugs were changed and gap set etc.

The Coils expire prematurely when spark plugs are because of overheating.

Trial and error without the basic servicing and maintenance and preventative work is not a very sensible way to go about things.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Trial and error without the basic servicing and maintenance and preventative work is not a very sensible way to go about things.

The car has a full service history and has been modified and maintain by Shark. 

I've only owned the car for a year, now has done around 66k.  The only issue I've had before is a coil pack going, which has was replaced by Shark. 

So the only things which ive done in the last 8 weeks is top up the oil. 

It could have been caused by me driving it home when the warning light came on as I was 5mins from the house. 

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

So are you saying in a year the spark plugs were never checked or changed and you do not know if they were even when Shark Performance mapped it?

Yes! 

6 hours ago, Awesam said:

The car has a full service history and has been modified and maintain by Shark. 

I've only owned the car for a year, now has done around 66k.  The only issue I've had before is a coil pack going, which has was replaced by Shark. 

So the only things which ive done in the last 8 weeks is top up the oil. 

It could have been caused by me driving it home when the warning light came on as I was 5mins from the house. 

Somethings don't sound right here, certainly a long way off best practice. With a car being that modified extensively I would expect higher attention to maintenance and esp things like spark plug condition and ratings and it makes me wonder how well the car has been set up and maintained.

When you say topped up oil, how much in what distance?

Somethings is wrong with the mileage on the fault logs, 186,953km and your reported 66,000 miles?  Presumably the full VCDS scan is showing 187k KM. That is nearly 120k miles?

• Like 1

I've no first hand experience with cars running stage 3 and the Borg Warner K04 (you said T04?).  There will be people with some real practical experience either in here or in other forums who run the set up. If there is no response here, you may like to join there as well, like a mk6 gti forum with threads on same engine set up.

Looking at a few other forums, it doesn't seem they always run colder rated plugs with that set up. NGK heat range 7s seem quite common.  Shark should be able to advise their recommendation.

Some compression tests across all cylinders, wet and dry,  whilst the plugs out not a bad idea and before forking out a lot of money to try see if there is an obvious problem. Your actual recent oil usage stats  should give some insight too.

Then, if compression test is not ugly, I would be replacing all plugs and coil packs as a start. Possibly the red audi R8 coil packs wouldn't be a bad idea. 

https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/oem-red-r8-ignition-coil-pack-set-for-2-0t-vehicles/

The amount of oil pushed up the threads on no 4 worries  me though.  The cylinder has had deactivation, so I suppose there is no combustion to burn any oil but it looks like a lot more than I would expect for short mileage with a problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheClient said:

Somethings don't sound right here, certainly a long way off best practice. With a car being that modified extensively I would expect higher attention to maintenance and esp things like spark plug condition and ratings and it makes me wonder how well the car has been set up and maintained.

When you say topped up oil, how much in what distance?

Somethings is wrong with the mileage on the fault logs, 186,953km and your reported 66,000 miles?  Presumably the full VCDS scan is showing 187k KM. That is nearly 120k miles?

About 0.5 litre of oil after 4-5k.

It's only its 2nd engine, the 1st failed due to the timing chain tensioner issue, at that time it had done c. 50k.

So Skoda replaced the engine and that when it was modified, so when I bought it it had 98k on the clock and it's now around 116+

What year month did skoda do the replacement? The ones in car production past Middle of 2011 should have modified pistons and rings which are a bit more resistant to the scraper ring problem and consequential oil usage.  A replacement engine, even from Skoda, maybe harder to determine as of a fixed date though.

0.5L in 4,000 miles doesn't seem too scary unless it is concentrated all in one cylinder.

• Like 1

Looking through the paperwork, it seems that the engine mods were started in May 2012 so Im assuming the new engine was fitted before then and the big turbo upgrade was in September.

Sparkplugs were last changed in September 2015. Coil packs were changed in 2013

I last got an oil change in Jan 2017 at 109k, so I must have topped the oil up in end of March/ beginning of April. 

Just thinking could this be a result of being excess oil in the engine?

Edited by Awesam

12 minutes ago, Awesam said:

Looking through the paperwork, it seems that the engine mods were started in May 2012 so Im assuming the new engine was fitted before then and the big turbo upgrade was in September.

Sparkplugs were last changed in September 2015. Coil packs were changed in 2013

I last got an oil change in Jan 2017 at 109k, so I must have topped the oil up in end of March/ beginning of April. 

Just thinking could this be a result of being excess oil in the engine?

Hopefully the revised piston related parts then. Can't remember when the latest version tensioner was fitted, think I recall sometime in 2012, you may want to check that too, for peace mind in future.

That makes the plugs not that old and the coil packs 4 years plus. I would start with replacements after checking compression across cylinders.

Do you mean overfilled?  Is it overfilled now on the dipstick when hot on perfectly level ground like a service station forecourt. unless very overfilled I would of thought more likely to affect seals. But PCV system pass through or other consequences could be possible I suppose.  Just one cylinder though? Seems strange.

Edited by TheClient

I've sent the last few VCDs readouts with the pics to Shark for them to look at. 

Most likely will need to get the car transported there. 

I would say best part of £1k+

Edited by Awesam

Update:

As it was the bank holiday weekend, I posted the thread on the MK5GTI forum and sent a message to the local Indy - both have suggested its the rocker cover gasket -Shot rings, which are fouling the electrode. Its meant to be a common fault!

Unfortunately the Indy is on holiday this week, thinking of getting it transported to either Shark or Midlands VW just to be on the safe side/any other issues may arise.

Edited by Awesam

1 minute ago, usedabused said:

@Awesam

Are you capable of changing the cam box gasket??

The heat range plugs have been fine until now,just change the gasket and go from there..

Simply put No!  I'm competent at other stuff but have never tackled anything to do with the engine.

If anyone can recommend a decent mechanic in Birmingham that would be helpful, ideally would like to get the car back on the road this week. 

:blush: How do you do a compression test?

Guys on the MK5GTI forum are coming up with a different diagnostics, may not be as simple as the cam box gasket! :sadsmile:

Edited by Awesam

2 hours ago, usedabused said:

@Awesam

Are you capable of changing the cam box gasket??

The heat range plugs have been fine until now,just change the gasket and go from there..

The cam cover gasket is not that simple a task on the EA888 TSI, it has the camshaft bearing support towers etc. integral with it. From memory, even an experienced technician, it is like 5 hours work schedule with appropriate tools etc.

If you look at the linked mk6 gti thread (in post #4) you will see a photo of where about on the coil pack a leaking cam cover seal will deposit oil. It doesn't mirror the OP experience at all IMO.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17898

The plug doesn't look to be in the best condition due to build up and oil burning but there isn't a good photo of the electrodes to say absolutely. I'm sceptical that a leak in the cam cover gasket is the issue or even the only issue at play here.  If he has changed out the problem cylinder plug, and it is still not running at all well, there seems to be other problems. 

Not scaremongering, just how it appears based on information provided and how I see the pictures so far.

A compression test would help. OP, You would need a compression gauge for starters to carry out the test.  Look up wet and dry compression tests:

http://www.mhnetwork.com/news/properly-diagnose-your-customer-s-engine-problems/

There is oil leaking from the mid point aswell, its not very clear from the first pic.

I'm waiting to hear back from Shark, hopefully today to see what the next step should be.

There is a possibility that the downpipe flex is developing a hole, not sure if that could have caused anything.

Edited by Awesam

20 minutes ago, TheClient said:

or even the only issue at play here.  If he has changed out the problem cylinder plug, and it is still not running at all well, there seems to be other problems. 

The two boost pressure faults shown in the scan report might be in the category of 'other problems'?

Compression test is fairly cheap/quick/easy though, and would provide reassurance that there isn't major mechanical issues if the pressures are in spec and even across cylinders.  I bet there's a few how-to videos on you-tube, possibly even engine-specific.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awesam said:

Update:

As it was the bank holiday weekend, I posted the thread on the MK5GTI forum and sent a message to the local Indy - both have suggested its the rocker cover gasket -Shot rings, which are fouling the electrode. Its meant to be a common fault!

Unfortunately the Indy is on holiday this week, thinking of getting it transported to either Shark or Midlands VW just to be on the safe side/any other issues may arise.

A leaking camshaft cover seal AND shot rings?   I could believe that as an logical guess on information so far. Yes, both are common. Just look at the mk6gti posts and the tsi engine failure threads in the sticky in the top of the mk2 forums.

That being said, any garage worth their salt,  WILL do some further tests before hanging their hat on that, as presumably they've only got the same info as in this thread and no inspection of the vehicle...yet.

1 minute ago, Wino said:

The two boost pressure faults shown in the scan report might be in the category of 'other problems'?

Compression test is fairly cheap/quick/easy though, and would provide reassurance that there isn't major mechanical issues if the pressures are in spec and even across cylinders.  I bet there's a few how-to videos on you-tube, possibly even engine-specific.

I thought the boost pressure faults were to due it being tuned as the parameters would be set outside the normal/standard boost settings.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Mmm. possibly? We haven't gone there. I presumed they were long standing and related to the K04 stage 3 set up.  I have no experience of stage 3 setups, so it could be they are causing problems.

Edited by TheClient