Cambelt change?

My 2011 Saloon has done 45,000mls, just had a letter from dealership advising me to make an appointment for a cambelt/timing belt change as the car is 5 years old?

Has anyone a 'rough' idea of cost please? Also I know a 'trusted' local garage and I'm thinking perhaps it might be better to give them the work, or should I stick to dealership?

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

I had mine done 3 months ago but it included the tension pulley and water pump, plus coolant. My dealer left a litre of coolant just in case it needed topping up, which it did not. There is a standard price list that dealers have available (sorry cannot remember the price) which is a good starting point. I ended up paying about £340 or £360 not sure which as I always have my dealer do everything after I have negotiated the price first. It is up to you who you use, the only problem being if anything fails or something else happens Skoda look carefully at the cars history and where work is carried out.

One thing why has your car not been done before now as it is a mileage limit or five years which ever comes first. At best your car is 5 1/4 years old presuming end of February registration or nearly 6 years.

• Like 1

The dealer is correct, all Skoda engines registered after September 2010 require a replacement cambelt at 5 years old (4 years for those registered before), where fitted.

Here is Skoda's fixed price policy. It is always recommended to replace the water pump at the same time as there is no more labour, simply the cost of the pump. Water pumps do wear and they start to leak you'll need to remove the cambelt to get to it. Cambelts shouldn't be refitted.

£385 for just the cambelt, £485 with the water pump...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

My local Skoda dealer offered a price match policy. I got an email quote of a local independent using genuine parts for the cambelt and water pump on my 2011 CR140 (£360) and the local dealer agreed to match it. 

• Like 1

Sorry it this is a hijack but my manual indicates timing belt to be changed at 180k km (circa 110k miles) there is no mention of a time limit.  This is a 2008 2.0 140 Diesel.

For whatever reason the timing belt was changed by the previous owner at around 4 years but I'm not convinced this is necessary.  What is the truth?

• Like 1

No, warranty covers manufacturing defects, a cambelt is classed as wear and tear and is part of the cars regular servicing requirements.

Unless you have a maintenance package in which case check the small print to see what is covered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gdcobra said:

Sorry it this is a hijack but my manual indicates timing belt to be changed at 180k km (circa 110k miles) there is no mention of a time limit.  This is a 2008 2.0 140 Diesel.

For whatever reason the timing belt was changed by the previous owner at around 4 years but I'm not convinced this is necessary.  What is the truth?

Skoda UK have a blanket time interval.

On cars registered prior to September 2010 it is 4 years.

Those registered after it is 5 years.

There are conspiracy theorists out there that claim Skoda UK are simply cashing in on 'rip-off Britain' by implementing a time limit unlike a lot of other EU markets. Regardless of if that is the case or not the above time limits are supported by Skoda UK. The choice is yours.

• Like 1

There is plenty of correspondence on here saying the same.

If in doubt send an email to Skoda with your VIN...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

"Reference Number SD-2014/08-002179

Dear Mr xxxx,

I refer to our telephone conversation on 04 August 2014 regarding your ŠKODA Yeti.
I can confirm that our Technical Department has confirmed that the recommendation for changing your cam belt is at 140,000 miles
or 4 years, which ever comes the soonest.
As I explained during our telephone conversation, the recommendation is based on the date of registration. Your vehicle which
was registered May 2010, then the 4 year rule comes into place. Had your vehicle been built after September 2010, the
recommendation would have changed to 5 years.
I hope this information is of use to you. Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

John Good, Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel: +44 (0) 333 0037504 | fax: +44 (0)844 8267855
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com"

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Sounds like you have the manual for New Zealand car ;o), as thats the same as what the manual says for my 2010 TDI170. Cars in the UK should have a mileage and time 'limit'. 

15 minutes ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Sounds like you have the manual for New Zealand car ;o), as thats the same as what the manual says for my 2010 TDI170. Cars in the UK should have a mileage and time 'limit'. 

Well it's a UK car and has what appears to be UK manual. I'll have to look out any other UK manuals to see what they say.

Guess NZ must have a more magical environment than UK

• Like 1

The time limit isn't stated in UK manuals, it is this omission that fuels the theory that Skoda UK's rigid time limitations are an attempt by Skoda UK to force owners into early (and therefore arguably unnecessary) belt changes.

The communications come via other literature provided by Skoda UK and their dealer network but strangely isn't printed in the cars service booklet. Make of that what you will.

Personally a £350 outlay every 5 years (i.e. roughly two or three times over the life of the car) is a cost I'm prepared to pay to ensure engine longevity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Well it's a UK car and has what appears to be UK manual. I'll have to look out any other UK manuals to see what they say.

Guess NZ must have a more magical environment than UK

It is weird, as the only differences I can see are 1. we don't salt our roads (makes no difference to cambelts right?) and 2. Our climate is slightly warmer.

For the benefit of the group I'm hanging on until the car ticks over 180,000 (approx. mid 2018) so wish me luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The time limit isn't stated in UK manuals, it is this omission that fuels the theory that Skoda UK's rigid time limitations are an attempt by Skoda UK to force owners into early (and therefore arguably unnecessary) belt changes.

The communications come via other literature provided by Skoda UK and their dealer network but strangely isn't printed in the cars service booklet. Make of that what you will.

Personally a £350 outlay every 5 years (i.e. roughly two or three times over the life of the car) is a cost I'm prepared to pay to ensure engine longevity.

That is part of my problem, I have not seen any official indication of this 4 year time period, nothing in my manuals (I've read them cover to cover) and as I haven't had the car from new I've not had any contact from Skoda either.  The only inkling I have of a 4 year life is that the original owner serviced it at this point and from this web site, neither is exactly concrete. 

I don't particularly have a problem with paying £350 (and it will probably only be once in the time I have this car), I'm more concerned with having unnecessary work performed, I would say the worst thing about owning a modern car is the service department.  Each time that bonnet is lifted and the spanners are out a degree of risk is undertaken, risk I'd rather do without.

12 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Each time that bonnet is lifted and the spanners are out a degree of risk is undertaken, risk I'd rather do without.

Also remember you get a 2 year parts and labour warranty if done via a Skoda retailer.

• Like 1

It is a bit of a ball ache but a good butchers at the belt can tell a lot. I had a 2 year old belt on a TT that had started to degrade in one spot which seemed strange and led me to believe the Audi dealer said they changed it and in fact didn't either way it had to be done for piece of mind.

I have changed a few belts on PD engines and they have all looked like new when they came off but I think the old mentality of 4 or 5 years seems to have stuck with me so even in the future if I buy a common rail car and its 4,5,6 + years old and on the original belt it will be getting changed.

remember its not only the belt that can fail, things like idler pulleys with small bearings are hard to hear when they start grumbling, especially on a diesel.

• Like 1

Having been brought up working at our family garage and knowing a good few mechanics, I don't think I know one who would recommend delaying changing a cam belt much beyond the manufacturers recommended intervals. A number even to this day fail (expensively) before they even get to the recommended date or mileage for them to be changed. It is the age related degradation of the rubber as much as it is the mileage that kills them. My Superb is due its 5 year cam belt change in August. It will definitely be done at that time along with the pump, the pulleys and also a new auxiliary drive belt. We will also have a close look at the water and heater hoses while we are in there, although they do tend to have a much longer life than they used to have.

Edited by Pesmog
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pesmog said:

Having been brought up working at our family garage and knowing a good few mechanics, I don't think I know one who would recommend delaying changing a cam belt much beyond the manufacturers recommended intervals. .

I couldn't agree more BUT the manufacturer interval is 180k km. that is what they put in their manual. I've yet to see the 4 years bit in in black and white and even when I do it will not be from the manufacturer. 

I go back n quite a few motorcycle sites where the general opinion is you should change oil every 3000 miles even though manufacturers may be indicating 10k or more. Should I do this also just because enough people believe it too be true?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

I couldn't agree more BUT the manufacturer interval is 180k km. that is what they put in their manual. I've yet to see the 4 years bit in in black and white and even when I do it will not be from the manufacturer. 

I go back n quite a few motorcycle sites where the general opinion is you should change oil every 3000 miles even though manufacturers may be indicating 10k or more. Should I do this also just because enough people believe it too be true?

As stated by other people:

- Skoda UK state it should be every 4/5 years depending on car build year, if you ring them they will confirm this.

- In some other countries and the manual, there is only a mileage limit.

Another forum member contacted Skoda UK and got the following reply, it's for a Yeti but the engines are similar:

Reference Number SD-2014/08-002179

Dear Mr Renshaw
I refer to our telephone conversation on 04 August 2014 regarding your ŠKODA Yeti.
I can confirm that our Technical Department has confirmed that the recommendation for changing your cam belt is at 140,000 miles
or 4 years, which ever comes the soonest.
As I explained during our telephone conversation, the recommendation is based on the date of registration. Your vehicle which
was registered May 2010, then the 4 year rule comes into place. Had your vehicle been built after September 2010, the
recommendation would have changed to 5 years.
I hope this information is of use to you. Thank you once again for contacting ŠKODA UK Customer Services.

Kind regards

At the end of the day it's your choice when to change your cambelt.

2 hours ago, Nathanio said:

I see it as cheap maintenance compared to the cost of a new engine! I don't see why people begrudge paying it, it's part of motoring costs. We've never had it so good; long service intervals, rare to get left at the side of the road, doesn't rust after 3yrs to nothing or leak like a sieve. 

Personally I see it as "bend over and take it", I wish I was so easily pleased but having bought a car which the manufacturer indicates doesn't need major maintenance for 40k miles I find that I now have a major bill to pay which the rest of the world don't have to stump up.  The way I see it if customers weren't demanding like me we still would have 6k mile service intervals and a 50-50 chance of making it home without a breakdown.

9 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Personally I see it as "bend over and take it", I wish I was so easily pleased but having bought a car which the manufacturer indicates doesn't need major maintenance for 40k miles I find that I now have a major bill to pay which the rest of the world don't have to stump up.  The way I see it if customers weren't demanding like me we still would have 6k mile service intervals and a 50-50 chance of making it home without a breakdown.

If it's not in warranty then you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. 

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up by it. Different countries with different environments will have different servicing requirements. 

At the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choices. Personally, £450 every 5yrs for a cambelt and piece of mind is not a bad investment. 

It's no different from buying insurance, you're protecting yourself against something happening in the future. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Gdcobra said:

Just replace it when you want to then.

Skoda's earliest interval (whether that be time or distance) is well after the manufacturer's warranty has expired so no loss.

Belts have been known to outlast the car, others have failed prematurely. You pay your money and take your chance.

• Like 1