Vehicle Shuts down on the run - Octy vRS

Hi All,

I am amidst a strange situation, which me or my mechanic could not analyze and get at the root cause.

I own a 2005 model Octavia vRS (Indian Model), 92k kms on the odo.

The issue that i am facing is,

when i am in the middle of a drive (slow- less than 60kms, normal- 60 to 80 kms or fast - above 80 kms), the car looses power and shuts down. since this has been happening for some time, i can sense when this is about to happen and pull myself to a safe lane.

say, i am cruising @ 100, there would be loss in power ( i can feel it from throttle feedback), and after a few seconds, the battery icon would come up in the instrument cluster and the car would shut down. i will carefully move into a safe lane and move along till the speed reduces to 30kms, slot into 2nd or 3rd gear, do a jump start and the continue with my journey. the car becomes normal afterwards. this has happened almost 10 times now and there is now error code in VCDS scan.

i had a doubt on the alternator. I got it checked - the alternate voltage and output are perfect. the battery is a new one and it is good too. previously i had a false assumption that this only occurs when i drive rash, redlining the car. but i found out that it happens when i cruise @ 80kms too.

i have an APR stage 2 remap - 220bhp. it is post the remap, i am facing this issue. my fuel pump was bad. i had it changed too.

• can it be the fuel pump, which is not able to match the fuel supply as per the remap?
  • can it be something to do with the remap?

can anyone help me out with this issue.:)

thanks a lot in advance :thumbup:

Cheers,

Guru.

9 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

What error codes have you got now?. Have you checked the fusebox on top of the battery for signs of melting near the main black feed cable?.

i have not got any error codes. that is the most confusing part :sadsmile:. i will certainly check the fuse-box on top of battery. thank you

8 hours ago, KenONeill said:

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Maybe check the alternator load sense wires (normal thickness wires from alternator, not the heavy 12v supply and Earth leads).

i changed the fuel filter 15 to 20 days back (Bosch fuel filter). will check the alternator load sense wires. thank you

9 hours ago, YellowAges said:

I would have said the Alternator, or possibly another electric-related issue (coil / HT leads???)

Hope that you get to resolve this soon  :)

YALL

thank you. i will check the coils/HT leads

Edited by Gurupprasad
  • Like 1

this issue happened twice today when i was driving to work. i did notice a few other niggles.

1. when i start the car after a stop and move gradually from 1st to 3rd gear (say i am @ 2rpm - 60kms speed), now, when i hit the clutch to apply brake/stop, the needle stays at 2 rpm for a few seconds before dropping down. shouldn't the needle go down as soon as i de-clutch?
  2. also, whenever i de-clutch to shift gears, the rpm needle jumps ups instead of going down

cheers,

Guru

3 hours ago, Gurupprasad said:

this issue happened twice today when i was driving to work. i did notice a few other niggles.

1. when i start the car after a stop and move gradually from 1st to 3rd gear (say i am @ 2rpm - 60kms speed), now, when i hit the clutch to apply brake/stop, the needle stays at 2 rpm for a few seconds before dropping down. shouldn't the needle go down as soon as i de-clutch?
  2. also, whenever i de-clutch to shift gears, the rpm needle jumps ups instead of going down

cheers,

Guru

This one is perhaps easier to diagnose than the stalling issue.  The clutch pedal has a switch mechanism to sense when the clutch is depressed,  if this fails you'll get the symptoms you indicate,  so have this checked out by your mechanic first of all. 

2 hours ago, Leeboy said:

This one is perhaps easier to diagnose than the stalling issue.  The clutch pedal has a switch mechanism to sense when the clutch is depressed,  if this fails you'll get the symptoms you indicate,  so have this checked out by your mechanic first of all. 

thanks a ton Leeboy. will have it checked at the earliest :)

Have you noticed what the fuel gauge is reading when this happens? I have a Mk1 Vrs 2004 with 180,000 miles on the clock, every time my car reaches dead on 1/4 on fuel gauge this happens to me! as soon as I re-fuel it's fine right up to the 1/4 mark and then does it again. I can pull over re start and drive 5, 10 or more miles before it does it again, it will do this until I top up fuel no matter what my driving style (I've experimented)

I've changed fuel pump/filter, alternator had a new crank sensor and a couple of hoses! so I now just treat 1/4 as my "empty"

On 6/5/2017 at 17:57, VRSONE said:

Have you noticed what the fuel gauge is reading when this happens? I have a Mk1 Vrs 2004 with 180,000 miles on the clock, every time my car reaches dead on 1/4 on fuel gauge this happens to me! as soon as I re-fuel it's fine right up to the 1/4 mark and then does it again. I can pull over re start and drive 5, 10 or more miles before it does it again, it will do this until I top up fuel no matter what my driving style (I've experimented)

I've changed fuel pump/filter, alternator had a new crank sensor and a couple of hoses! so I now just treat 1/4 as my "empty"

Hey,

I have had this issue happen when i am at the fag end of my fuel and also at times when the tank is full. :)

Will check for such occurrence during my drive this week.

thanks,

Guru B

On 6/9/2017 at 02:04, Saints92 said:

I'd suggest the battery light comes on as the cars cut out, did the problem only begin after you changed the fuel filter? 

Yes. Certainly. the car cuts out. No, not after the fuel filter replacement, but after the fuel pump replacement.

On 6/9/2017 at 02:54, VRSONE said:

Mine was doing this before all the new parts, each part was fitted as a hope of curing the problem..

what are the list of parts that you fitted? did it cure the issue?

thanks in advance.

Guru

I've changed;

fuel pump

fuel filter

alternator (totally unrelated)

crank sensor

crank case breather hose

not sure what to try next as none of these have made any difference!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2017 at 17:57, VRSONE said:

VRSONE,

My car has the same issue. i did notice that the car behaves this way only when the fuel level goes below 1/4th of the tank. my mechanic feels that this maybe due to fuel pump. i have tried everything possible. no solution yet. running out of ideas on what to do next.

Guru

I would look at replacing the fuel pump, sounds like it's under fuelling I cant say for definite but sounds like P2540 low pressure fuel system sensor circuit range

like the sensor is not working properly and when cruising it simply shuts down and your engine then, to protect itself will shut down (essentially the ECU thinks the car is off as no fuel)

The sensor is mounted directly onto the fuel pump itself. As you look at the pump its the part on the left that has a wiring loom plugged into it.

- Get this replaced first

then  fuel pressure sensor should that not fix it

pump controller if the 2 above don't fix it

On 7/7/2017 at 16:13, Gissin said:

I would look at replacing the fuel pump, sounds like it's under fuelling I cant say for definite but sounds like P2540 low pressure fuel system sensor circuit range

like the sensor is not working properly and when cruising it simply shuts down and your engine then, to protect itself will shut down (essentially the ECU thinks the car is off as no fuel)

The sensor is mounted directly onto the fuel pump itself. As you look at the pump its the part on the left that has a wiring loom plugged into it.

- Get this replaced first

then  fuel pressure sensor should that not fix it

pump controller if the 2 above don't fix it

Thanks a Lot Gissin.

I will try this out this weekend. :)

On 7/11/2017 at 11:56, Gurupprasad said:

Thanks a Lot Gissin.

I will try this out this weekend. :)

did you get it fixed?

i have the exact same issue on one of mine, i just keep it above 1/4 tank and its fine.

• 3 months later...
On 17/07/2017 at 17:27, KTP said:

did you get it fixed?

i have the exact same issue on one of mine, i just keep it above 1/4 tank and its fine.

I changed my fuel pump very recently and it's doing the EXACT same. It's at 1/4 tank now and it cuts out. So going to top up today. 1/4 tank is now empty in my book.

Edited by octaviavrs170

Been wondering about this issue about the car cutting out when it gets to 1/4 of a tank and as it seems I'm not the only one with the same problem. Has anyone ever came up with any suggestions as to why these cars do this or found out the actual cause. The only thing I can think is that by replacing the fuel pump when the car had petrol in it, it takes in the fuel already in the tank to fill itself and prime and the ecu doesn't compensate the difference between the old petrol level and the new level. Maybe I'm just jabbering on to nothing but it's bloody strange how it seems to be a common fault. Has anyone else who changed their pump got or had the same issue and if so resolved it or got any ideas. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2017 at 00:23, octaviavrs170 said:

Been wondering about this issue about the car cutting out when it gets to 1/4 of a tank and as it seems I'm not the only one with the same problem. Has anyone ever came up with any suggestions as to why these cars do this or found out the actual cause. The only thing I can think is that by replacing the fuel pump when the car had petrol in it, it takes in the fuel already in the tank to fill itself and prime and the ecu doesn't compensate the difference between the old petrol level and the new level. Maybe I'm just jabbering on to nothing but it's bloody strange how it seems to be a common fault. Has anyone else who changed their pump got or had the same issue and if so resolved it or got any ideas. 

I was facing this problem couple of months before. I have been told its the fuel pump, but I refused to change it as I was able to start the car by jump-start after stalling. I end up changing the crank shaft sensor and it is working really fine until now. Its been like 4-6 months since I changed it.

3 hours ago, OJazem said:

I was facing this problem couple of months before. I have been told its the fuel pump, but I refused to change it as I was able to start the car by jump-start after stalling. I end up changing the crank shaft sensor and it is working really fine until now. Its been like 4-6 months since I changed it.

Good reasoning; if the fuel pump was faulty you'd get running out of fuel symptoms and/or lack of top end power rather than "just" intermittent cutting out.

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

Has anyone found out what the cause is? I’ve got the same problem with mine after fitting new fuel pump. Just intrigued to know the cause.

You need to check the spring loaded fuel pickup has not been misfitted. It is spring loaded to ensure that it always draws fuel from the lowest part of the tank. If compromised in some was then it may not pick up fuel correctly when the level drops.

11 hours ago, bigjohn said:

You need to check the spring loaded fuel pickup has not been misfitted. It is spring loaded to ensure that it always draws fuel from the lowest part of the tank. If compromised in some was then it may not pick up fuel correctly when the level drops.

Thanks for the reply

going to take the fuel pump back off again this weekend to see if anything to faulty