what to do before a remap

hello all,

so ive owned my12 vRS for a little while now, done some outside changes but I feel a little let down by the power feels a little gutless 1-2.5k  I mean yes it pulls smoothly throughout the rev range but I want more.

so, I've decided to go to shark performance but before I go I want to do as much (within reason) as I can to get the best from it.

I was looking at the STS I don't think ill bother with this ? never going to take the map off anyway.

green cotton performance air filter..is this worth getting ? and remove the flaps in the front grill for more air flow? heat shield around the air box?

EGR delete? DPF bypass? - not sure on the DPF with the new laws in place regarding them ?

any other suggestions  would be great

1 hour ago, Gissin said:

any other suggestions  would be great

Shark are probably in the best position to advise you on hardware.

First remap? Then...

Contact your insurance before it's done if you haven't already done so. Some won't entertain any form of remaps or chipping, voiding your cover.

Remember to notify whomever services the vehicle if they use the Skoda diagnostics, as it can raise errors or even overwrite the remap.

On 5/31/2017 at 14:58, BillyJim said:

Remember to notify whomever services the vehicle if they use the Skoda diagnostics, as it can raise errors or even overwrite the remap.

If I take my car to Skoda dealer for any service like break pads or oil change, do they always by default update ECU software to latest?

7 hours ago, Robertino said:

If I take my car to Skoda dealer for any service like break pads or oil change, do they always by default update ECU software to latest?

Most dealerships will plug your car in as a matter of routine. It connects the car to the Skoda server where a number of things are checked. A remap can cause the server to flag a fault with the car. If the tech isn't aware there's been a remap and has the system "fix the fault" then that can overwrite your remap settings. If the tech is aware there's been a remap then he should recognise it's erroneous and leave it be.

Hi Gissin,

As said on insurance; In my case, Chris Knott were fine with my Economy Map.

Darkside Developments, who did the remap, recommended I revert to an OEM paper-element air filter, as the oiled-fabric types apparently spread tiny oil droplets onto the very fine wires of the MassAirFlowSensor, and they weren't easy to get at to clean. 

Also consider using best-possible engine oil (I use Millers products; their engine oil and their fuel additive to keep everything sweet, runs cleaner, sails through MOTs, does great MPG.) Haven't done a gearbox oil change, but you might want to consider it.

Brakes and suspension upgrades; I've got Mehle firmer console bushes in the front suspension bottom arms, recently had new FARB drop-links, also more recently new front dampers and turret top rubber mounts, but still get "chatter" over broken surfaces. I don't do crazy stuff, so the standard brakes are just fine.

Is yours a variable-vane turbo? Depending on mileage and style of driving/type of traffic, are your vanes sticking? If so, consider ReviveTurboCleaner.

I would have thought your potential mapper would do you a preliminary dyno run to assess the engine's health and suitability for remapping, and that they would pick up any faults like that by analyzing the dyno curves prior to any mods.

HTH

Richard

Edited by RichardatWakefield

thanks all

Rich- always self service with vag parts and decent oil, car runs fine previous owner did 50+ miles a day motorway and I do 30 a day on the motorway. assume it's variable turbo but no issues with overboost turbo comes in smooth all through the rev range, DPF on last check through Ob2 port is doing nicely.

ill be doing a full service and gearbox oil change in the next month or so.

how much did darkside charge you if you don't mind me asking

Hi Gissin,

If I recall it was around £300, that covered two visits, the first was a morning, inc dyno assessment-of-condition run (manufacturer's listed 105bhp, actually 117 before any changes!), the second day I spent maybe 6 hours exploring the area on foot, they were waiting for maps from their 1.9tdiPD expert who happened to be abroad, dyno and road runs made to assess driveability and no visible smoke, also supplied an OEM paper element air filter.

Richard

When I got my remap it took a couple of hours, that was on the dyno in standard, copy the ecu to a laptop then Rick doing remap changes upload back ECU , dyno again, tweak the map dyno again. Then thank Rick and pay and go and have fun on the motorway on the way home.

Mine was his first bespoke map for a 1.2 tsi so was mapped from scratch.

Rick is well known to the guys at Shark.

16 hours ago, Kenrw8 said:

When I got my remap it took a couple of hours, that was on the dyno in standard, copy the ecu to a laptop then Rick doing remap changes upload back ECU , dyno again, tweak the map dyno again. Then thank Rick and pay and go and have fun on the motorway on the way home.

Mine was his first bespoke map for a 1.2 tsi so was mapped from scratch.

Rick is well known to the guys at Shark.

who's rick ?? I thought ben at shark did all the remaps?

• 4 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Jono said:

Carbon clean?

Snakeoil Quackery. There is no good quality evidence, don't bother.

really ?

I'm Talking about where they take the head off and clean the valves surely that has to be of benefit to the engine valve_cleaning.jpg.e523bd5a95f998758766f7f74de0fd90.jpg

If they dismantle the engine, clean it, and put it back together then, yeah, that's plausible, but if it's the nonsense where they put a magic pipe in your intake, that's *******s.

I'm thinking of getting mine remapped very shortly and needed to get the essential maintenance work done first.

Have the following to do pre-remap:

Cambelt and Full service. (done) (£450 ish)

Order a spare intake manifold and egr (done)

Replacement intercooler hose as the old one popped off and lost a tab (on its way)

Clean new intake manifold and egr (so it's a swap job)

Fit EGR blanking plate at the same time as the EGR and intake manifold

Fit RARB

Get it remapped

The pipe popping off resulted in a fair bit of oil coming out of the intercooler.. so that's saved me a job!

Bear in mind I have a 1.9 pd engine rather than your CR.

• Like 1