Sat Nav / Entertainment system Stolen

Had my Octavia vRS broken into on Friday afternoon!!

It was parked in a public car park in Bradford and they swiped the entire sat nav / system.

Police said they're still getting nicked from VW group cars.

I thought Skoda had sorted the problem out now and that the system was 'married' to the specific car.  I'm guessing someone has figured a way to decode them.

I also read but am sceptical that they're targeted for the chip inside which can be used to decode sky tv.  I think this may have been the case 10 years ago but does this even sound feasible?

Anyway, be on your guard if you work / live in Bradford area.  

20170611_163708.jpg

yeah.  Smashed nearside window with half a brick.  Glass everywhere!  Police came out to see if they could lift any prints but couldn't.

They said there's been a recent spate of them in Leeds/Bradford area.

The problem is vag underestimated the thiefs. A thief is a always a thief and 900£ 1200€ in 2 min is always a good investment for them .Spending milions in securety  that eventualy with time someone will cracked  is just stupid , if you think about it vag wins, you are going to pay for a new unit (so it is possible to retrofit) and the broken window. In the end If units were cheaper this kind of thing wouldnt happen so often.

Sorry for your loss hope everything turns good for you.I wish this doesn't happen to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonny5ive said:

I'd be concerned buying something security related from a company who cannot use the correct form of the word 'break'. #justsaying 

Never mind the other spelling mistakes, spurious capital letters, incorrect apostrophes and missing full stops! #justalsosaying ;)

Here's a couple of other threads regarding the same situation:- here and here.

Insurance company are dealing with it.  Had the glass replaced today and am waiting for insurance company to authorise the local garage to do the repair.

After reading various threads on here I'm now contemplating replacing the unit with a compatible of Infotainment system.

4 hours ago, Jonny5ive said:

I'd be concerned buying something security related from a company who cannot use the correct form of the word 'break'. #justsaying 

Maybe a coincidence but I've just noticed they're also based in Bradford!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jonny5ive said:

Very true.  Besides, it only "theoretically" obscures the unit. Not filling me with confidence.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2017 at 16:25, Jonny5ive said:

You could always got to VW and buy it. It's a VW product after all.

However, it's for the previous generation Columbus and would be pretty ineffective for the system being discussed here, given that the expensive part is in the glove box and the screen unit is larger than the actual Navilock.

Edited by Rustynuts
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, this week, in the same car park....

A work colleague almost caught (what we think are ) the same thieves attempting to steal his sat nav from his VW Tiguan.  Fortunately, he saw them through the window and a load of them piled out of the building.  The thieves managed to get into their 'getaway' car!!  - a dark blue Ford Focus - without stealing the sat nav.  just smashed the window and ripped off the trim surrounding the unit.  They got the registration number and have handed it to the police (although it's probably fake).

So is it possible to make the screen on my Columbus II unit "quick release" so I can take it into work when I park my car.  Currently using my missis' old Golf to go to work!

The thing is when some dirt bag steels somthing from your car, it never feels the same, it feels dirty. They leave there mark some way or another, such as the mark on your dash where they have pried the radio out. This is a pig to fix. New dash, or dash repair.

I thought these systems were coded in some way, to the car, also i would not think there was that much demand as the car is new. Is this unit retro fit to older skodas?

Sorry to see this. Hope you have insurance. But this unit doesn't fit to other cars not even other Škoda's except Octavia.

There must be a demand for these units or they wouldn't be stealing them. Maybe there's a component within it that they're after?

14 hours ago, RickW said:

There must be a demand for these units or they wouldn't be stealing them. Maybe there's a component within it that they're after?

That is some myth that went around in UK, referred to the previous unit (MK2).

What happened is that apparently component protection has been cracked, so now they can fit and pair those units to other cars.

Same car park Tuesday this week and colleague had VW  Tiguan broken into. Thieves were spotted and chased off.

Yesterday another colleague had her Seat Leon broken into but were caught in the act and chased off.  

This is the 2nd time for both of them and they've both said they're getting rid of their cars and buying non VAG group cars next!

And I'm still driving my wife's old Golf!