Columbus Nav system

I have obtained a copy (legally) of ver.14 western europe maps for the above system.

Does anybody know how long it should take to upload and install on the disc.

It is approx 3 hours running already and, if I try to remove the DVD it tells me it is still loading.

I removed it once after 1.5 hrs only to find my maps on the hard disc no longer function.

The maps work ok while the "loading " process is in progress.

Any help would be appreciated.

10 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

Good few hours , mine was in over night.

How did you manage the power.

I left mine in the driveway for approx two hours with ignition on, only  to find the battery flat.

39 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Takes about 45 minutes to copy the maps over. Anything over that means it's failing to copy correctly and starting again.

That could be my problem as I havn't been on a drive long enough.

I assumed that each time I started up it would continue from where it stopped, but, it obviously starting from scratch each time.

The system does work from the dvd but, if I try removing it, I then have no maps and it looks for the disc.

I will however have a 90 min drive over the next few days so that will prove thing one way or another.

If that fails it will be a visit to the dealer.

I will report back after the weekend.

Thanks for all the advise.

It will continue from where it left off. One trick I've had work before is to remove the disc and leave it overnight. Then next morning reinsert the disc when you start up the car and leave it for a few minutes, then try ejecting it and see what it does.

I uploaded mine on a long journey that I was familiar with and didn't need the navigation.  When I reached my destination, I checked to see which version I had and it was complete and ready to go!

Well mine seem to take about 40 minutes, I say seem as I could not hear any noise from the drive. I waited until the hour and pressed set up to find the following: -

H71

I am hoping that is the latest version. If it is then it went great.:happy:

If it is not then.:sadsmile: and try again. I did just put the disc in but was not sure wheter the timer would shut it down so every now and again I would switch the ignition on and off immediately.

Can you simply put the disc in and forget it?

Need to find the latest version codes.

I did buy this disc from Sat Nav DVD, a well known supplier I believe.

Edited by Danny 57

• john999boy changed the title to Columbus Nav system

I just updated mine,  it took half an hour.

I did use the SD card trick,  VAG app copies maps to SD card, you boot the headunit unit off a boot CD that points to SD card.

I can go into more detail if required,  and obviously allowed

2 hours ago, Pody said:

I just updated mine,  it took half an hour.

I did use the SD card trick,  VAG app copies maps to SD card, you boot the headunit unit off a boot CD that points to SD card.

I can go into more detail if required,  and obviously allowed

Folks thanks for all the replies but,at this stage I have had my DVD in for a total of possibly 8 hours two 3 hour periods continuous with the car stopped and, the rest while driving but, I still keep getting the message "data downloading do not remove disc etc.".

I think I have a DVD disc problem  which is not actually writing to the hard disc. My problem now is the downloading sequence has scrubbed the original maps from my hard disc , they will however work from the DVD.

I am afraid to try any further methods like trying to load from SD etc in case I do further damage.

A visit to the dealer is on the cards for next week.

Will keep you all posted.

Hi Fernrock,  from what I've read elsewhere this is a common issue  with dirty lasers.

Also check your firmware version supports v14 maps

The process of copying files to SD card and booting off boot CD should solve the issue.

Its a relatively simple process,  let me know if you need the steps.

I wouldn't trust the dealers,  I thought map updates are supposed to done with each service?

Mine had full service history and the original map version :S

Very unlikely to be a dirty laser. More likely to be a failing or weak laser which is common on older units. Any VAG/Skoda maps will go onto any unit, provided no one has installed any custom firmware which can reduce the partition size of the maps section.

The sd card method is not without its faults and failings however. Effectively you use a software update method to trick the unit into installing the maps, and software updates can kill a unit if it goes wrong. Also, if the fault is with a hard drive partition then trying to force 6Gb of data onto a 5Gb or faulty partition is never going to work.

Map updates are paid for, not a benefit given at every service. If you want updated maps for the Columbus, then you pay for them or do it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my maps problem.

I aquited a large capacity DVD (8.5Gig capacity)

Using Roxio  I made a copy of the maps disc.

Put it in the columbus and within about 30 mins the maps were loaded to the hard disc.

It would seem that there was a problem with the original disc, which prevented it finishig the download, but it obviously copied ok to the second disc.

Prior to starting this process I had no maps on my hard disc but, they worked ok from the DVD.

I now have them on the hard disc.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

For what it's worth to future visitors to this thread, I had a similar problem (i.e. the update went on for over an hour, but never completed). The problem was a grubby laser lens.

The fix was to use the cleaner disk for our domestic CD / DVD player. The update  worked perfectly after the clean.