Write off?

The damage looks largely cosmetic so any write off will be most likely Category C or D. It'll come down to PAV vs cost of repair. Whatever your insurance company do, get your own assessor to look at it too.

ive seen cars written off  for less, rear quarter is damaged and has a ripple in it, depending how far that's gone down your car, also if your rear slam panel / bar has been damaged in any way its quite possible.

depends on the car really mileage condition - hopefully its gets sorted for you! glad no ones hurt

Best to get it inspected first. From looks it will require a rear bumper, boot lid, slam pannel (if not bent from side), rear quarter panel and perhaps one or two PDC sensor (if they are not working / smashed). What you don't want to see after taking the bumper off is the chassis bent. Fixable but perhaps Insurance company will write it off as Cat C/D due to amounting costs?

Edited by singh946

Does the back door still open? If it is catching then that could indicate chassis damage. It does look like there is a crease at halfway up the hatch opening in the rear quarter. As said though, it's all down to the cost of repair against pre accident condition - remember the golden rule, don't accept the first offer if they write it off, look at what it will cost to replace with the same age/spec, and aim for a similar figure (use dealer websites for proper second hand values rather than private sales)

At the time I didn't even try to open the boot, but i've just checked and it opens! The back door does still open but the gap looks closer than before.

We'll see what the insurance come up with.

If your insurance do decide to write it off;

I wrote my car off in black ice and was initially offered £5k. I rejected this and supplied them with photocopies of the two services that I had carried out under my ownership and they increased their offer to £6k which I settled on. 

Make no wonder insurance costs are so high when they that is £7908 to repair. 

Doesn't look to be any boot floor distortion probably because of the tow bar being fitted. The wing would pull out, new bumper and boot, spray and polish around £3,000 maximum. 

On 2017-6-23 at 16:02, CWARD said:

Make no wonder insurance costs are so high when they that is £7908 to repair. 

Doesn't look to be any boot floor distortion probably because of the tow bar being fitted. The wing would pull out, new bumper and boot, spray and polish around £3,000 maximum. 

There is a fair bit of damage. Compared to Paulb64 photos and his response that his vehicle was eventually written off, I'm not surprised in this case looking at the photos. The damage looks considerably more extensive than Paulb64 case.  I also can't see signs of the Tow Bar. Were you looking at PaulB64 post photos? 

Third picture. The black frame is for the tow bar. If the original cross member was in place it would be blue like the car with rounded edges and the way it attached covers the chassis rails which are visible in the picture. 

OK. If that is the box section of the bar. Looks pretty extensive damage though at a full retail type claim.

I.e. floor, rear wing, rear bumper, sensors, straightening rear crash bars / chassis members or whatever tow bar bolts to, Bootlid, lights, bumper (edit: said that already) etc. etc.......Seems a lot

Edited by TheClient

Paul's damage although it looked less the impact was sufficient to actually bend the tow bar which takes a lot of energy. This will have pulled the chassis rails inwards. To straighten the chassis takes skill and a lot of time. 

David's though looks more serious the hit has glanced off the towbar structure, hence the marks on top, and in to the wing and boot. Even if it requires a new boot floor I would expect it to be any more than £4,000 tops.

If David was happy with the car prior to accident I would but the car back and have it repaired privately. If he doesn't someone else will and it will back on the road soon. 

Yes, probably don't disagree, someone will repair it, for less than £8k,  it does look pretty hard though, for the rear wing to crumple edit: pretty extensively)  it must have moved the structural areas, rear rails a little given no direct impact on the wing itself. 

Edited by TheClient

Damage on modern cars always looks worse than it is mainly because crumple zones are doing what the were designed to do. Chassis/floor plans are built stronger whilst body work is thinner and lighter. 

If the hit had been a couple of inches lower or more to the left I would agree with structural damage to chassis as the tow bar structure is much heavier duty than the chassis and it would have transferred the energy into the weaker material. As it looks the car behind has it the rear quarter just above the tow bar structure, the rear suspension compressed and the rear wing and boot crumpled. Given it was at a roundabout probably no more than 20mph as the rear car tried to avoid the accident hence not hit square on. 

Well done getting a very good price was 9k their first offer or did you reject any Offers? Shame another Octavia bites the dust though I hate seeing Cars written off/scrapped. The damage looks quite bad behind the bumper and tbh I can't see this one being repaired.