EGR fault today CR 170 DSG

16 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Be really careful with reconditioned turbos. These are often cheap for a reason. Do your due diligence on the supplier before parting with cash.

Tricky place to be, AET in business for over 40 years willing to fix my current turbo. 

Nice to know what went wrong too. Better than new and 2 year 50k miles warranty on diesel units.  They like all people have mostly good review with the occasional bad. 

I called 2 others and this is the middle ground for cost and other factors 

2 hours ago, chimaera said:

Be really careful with reconditioned turbos. These are often cheap for a reason. Do your due diligence on the supplier before parting with cash.

Had a think and the risk with recon was too great. Sticking with brand new. 

Car is back after 1 week and 1 day, today.

Call it 2k in total. New EGR and coolant. Road tested Turbo fault. Turbo checked excessive play in it also replaced. Turbo was hard to remove apparently. I have the old EGR which has been mentioned as the cause of the potential turbo failure too, due to back pressure.

The turbo on the car is indeed a shiny new Garrett. 

A 4WA which surprisingly introduced a caster or camber issue i never had in April after a Hunter one. Literally on the edge of the value so red. 

Booked back in for a Hunters on Saturday.

Oil and filter changed as part of works. Oil pickup checked and not replaced.  

2 years parts and labour warranty on new parts backed up by VAG apparently on anything the indie fits. 

First thoughts car drives smooth DSG changes, not a true test on a warm engine really. 

Off to work, long trip tomorrow am. 

The temperature needle issue could not be produced again and it was stuck solid on 90 today, even though oil temp showed 80 odd in the maxidot. 

I hope the component failure stops now. 

Oil and filter change recommended after 1k. So booked in for next Saturday. 

The coolant temp needle jumps to 90C and stays solid once the actual oil/coolant temp is about 80C or higher. If actual temps drop below 80, the coolant temp needle jumps down to the real value (or about so).

To get the actual readouts you need a diagnostics tool. There's some trickery built into whatever the gauges display to make the readouts seem more solid.

7 hours ago, TLV said:

The coolant temp needle jumps to 90C and stays solid once the actual oil/coolant temp is about 80C or higher. If actual temps drop below 80, the coolant temp needle jumps down to the real value (or about so).

To get the actual readouts you need a diagnostics tool. There's some trickery built into whatever the gauges display to make the readouts seem more solid.

First long am trip today since EGR/Turbo and like all VAG cars the temperature needle hit 90 within 5 mins on the motorway at 70mph. This is the behaviour I expect. Hence a thread about it before. Oil temperature changed from 80-95 and anything around those numbers for the 95+ mile commute. I really hope this issue also resolved now. 

Even on a local trip on the way home the needle hit 90 again as expected. Looks positive and makes me wonder if the initial coolant loss which stopped after I topped up after purchase and ran with the cap off and the temp needle were trying to tell me something perhaps about the EGR being on the way out ?

Hope these signs help someone on here.