Strange noise from centre console

I've noticed for a while now that when the car gets warmed up I get a strange Wuh....Wuh....Wuh.. noise coming from the centre console.

It's definitely not the fan as I've tried turning that off and I've been underneath and it's definitely not coming from the engine, flywheel or gearbox.

It appears to be coming from somewhere behind the area of the radio and only slightly increases in tempo when I rev the engine.

Anyone got any ideas ??

(I've recorded it on my phone but as it's a 34MB video file, I can't upload it on to here )

5 hours ago, phillip said:

I've tried it with the radio both on and off and it still does it :(

If someone can tell me how to compress (?) the video file then I will try and attach it.

Upload it to YouTube and paste the link here. 

*** UPDATE ***

So, I got around to investigating further yesterday and took the radio out to see if I could pinpoint the source of the noise and I am now satisfied that the noise is definitely NOT coming from there, it IS coming from the engine bay after all. Having got my head under the bonnet again, I can just hear the noise and it seems to be coming from the back of the engine somewhere (although it is still loudest inside the car) but I still can't pinpoint the exact source :(

I have had the exact same noise for a while now and it does sound exactly like a bearing grinding. I think it's aircon related as my compressor has now packed up (middle bolt has sheared off) I don't appear to have the noise anymore, but it did used to go after putting aircon on full and cycling through all the different blower outlets.

Cheers Roger...I don't think mine is aircon related though as it does it regardless of whether the aircon is on or off, and sounds to be more from down the back of the engine, I think.

It hasn't been as noticeable the last few days and I am wondering if that is because of the drop in the outside temperature ??

It's forecast to come warm again next week, so time will tell, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

Not wanting to get into an internet arguement but you are very wrong.

Forums are great but lots of incorrect info can be provided

Go outside and look at your air con compressor, it will be turning regardless of whether its turned on or off.

10 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Go outside and look at your air con compressor, it will be turning regardless of whether its turned on or off.

Yes the belt turns the pulley all the time BUT when you press the ac switch this engages an electromagnet clutch on the compressor that turns on the air con.

You are very wrong in your advice.

Take it from an engineer ;)

2 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

If you mean ac compressor you are wrong.

It works via an electromagnetic clutch that only engages when the button is pressed

Like Superb TVM says go out and look at yours, it turns regardless on or off, I should know I have changed my one as it was goosed, and I have been a technician since I was 17 years old and now coming up to 50, worked on anything from BTCC cars to Aston Martins, and no I don't want to get the popcorn out and argue the to$$.

Trev

2 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

Yes the belt turns the pulley all the time BUT when you press the ac switch this engages an electromagnet clutch on the compressor that turns on the air con.

You are very wrong in your advice.

Take it from an engineer ;)

You really need to use google and do some research as your arrogance is continuing to make you look like an amateur.

I have recently had issues with my AC system and I still do - however I have had the noise and now its gone. It seems to me that it happens when the AC system is low on refrigerant but not completely empty.

Mine is leaking and now it leaked out almost completely and the sound is gone...  You can only start hearing when the AC pressure is within a certain range.... At some point it gets so low that you can barely hear the sound...

If you had posted this 2 weeks ago I could confirm with an identical video....  :( I am booked for Tuesday for yet another AC investigation....

See if you notice any drop in the AC performance.... The way it sounds, it will leak out in a few days .... for how long have you had this?

Edited by Inex

for all you ac know it alls ;)

read the section on the components

i quote

"the compressor is fitted with a clutch that is activated when the system is switched on. The internal parts of the compressor start to turn via the engine power and pressurizing the refrigerant."

ie. it is NOT on all the time )

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-car-air-conditioner-works