Skoda Octavia - Major Design Flaw = Small Windscreen

8 hours ago, umbral said:

The claustrophobic feel some may experience is also generated from the fact that VW Group decided to cut costs and make a tiny windscreen.

Yes, that is correct, the Skoda Octavia front window is missing like 12-13 cm of glass in the top section.

I don't understand how such a big car company has so many incompetent people hired that are paid crazy high.

The small windscreen reduces visibility and makes you feel like you look through a tunnel.

In my case, too much of my visual field of view sees the interior roof of the car - instead of the road or the sky.

Dumb dumb dumb.

I advice all people currently interested in Skoda Octavia III buyers to stay away from this car as it has major design flaws and wait maybe for IV version.

Totally disagree.

I went for my first long drive at the weekend and was driving through Devon on a glorious day. I couldn't help but notice that the views seemed better than before and I worked out that the windscreen is wider and taller than my last car and the cabin is much more light and airy. So I'm surprised you say it feels claustrophobic.

For what it's worth I'm 6ft tall and the passenger was 5ft 1 and she said that she was impressed by the view out.

2 hours ago, marko said:

when I 1st got my mk3 I was a bit concerned about how much windscreen the mirror and associated gubbins took up, (cameras, sensors etc..) but has never bothered me in the real world. I'm more bothered about the absolutely rubbish Amundsen infotainment system and general poor quality of materials and fitment execution used on the car. I was a more happy with the quality of my old mk2 Blackline I had even though the 230 is a better looking car, not much difference in performance either!

I guess I'm stuck with it for the next 2 1/2 years now anyway so will have to make the best of it somehow!

I didn't like what i saw visually so i didn't buy the car although i tested both combi and standard model.

Some other people said the same - like : "they should have put a 12-13 cm taller frontal windshield and less metal at the top.

Other than that it is a practical car but MKII had better suspensions in base models (same as passat), and a was made with much more love compared to these modular MQB platforms.

Materials and fitments are not good either on MKIII Octavia - just like you said, the Superb is slightly better but not VW Passat levels.

They made Skoda to have a cheap brand image, and VW medium level, so you get better looks and feels on VW, although inside they are the same soulless MQB platforms.

1 hour ago, Lingnoi said:

Totally disagree.

I went for my first long drive at the weekend and was driving through Devon on a glorious day. I couldn't help but notice that the views seemed better than before and I worked out that the windscreen is wider and taller than my last car and the cabin is much more light and airy. So I'm surprised you say it feels claustrophobic.

For what it's worth I'm 6ft tall and the passenger was 5ft 1 and she said that she was impressed by the view out.

That simply means the last car you used had a worse windscreen design than MKIII Octavia and was even more claustrophobic. Don't be fooled, Octavia III has a bad frontal window dimension and design.

But if you go to a car with a big windscreen and great visibility + tall roof you can't go back to the so called family cars that are not family cars at all.

Just use a measuring tape and check the windscreen in height !

Please let me know your findings.

Edited by umbral

6 minutes ago, Jaco2k said:

Don't you guys recognize a troll when you see one? :)

...just don't feed him :)

I am really serious, i hate cars with the roof on my head and small windows !

Stupid design for tiny people with tiny brain - like the owners of VW Group !

Edited by umbral

15 minutes ago, umbral said:

I am really serious, i hate cars with the roof on my head and small windows !

Stupid design for tiny people with tiny brain - like the owners of VW Group !

I rest my case :)

You should try harder, cause right now you are too obvious.

• Like 1

I had noticed the windscreen being lower than expected when first got in. But after I put the seat all the way to the bottom, it felt normal.

I think only this is good enough for OP:

1464969515-jl82609.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, umbral said:

I didn't like what i saw visually so i didn't buy the car although i tested both combi and standard model.

<snip>

Come on then, enlighten us into what vehicle you bought that suits your requirements?

On 05/07/2017 at 22:13, umbral said:

Some other people said the same - like : "they should have put a 12-13 cm taller frontal windshield and less metal at the top.

Other than that it is a practical car but MKII had better suspensions in base models (same as passat), and a was made with much more love compared to these modular MQB platforms.

Materials and fitments are not good either on MKIII Octavia - just like you said, the Superb is slightly better but not VW Passat levels.

They made Skoda to have a cheap brand image, and VW medium level, so you get better looks and feels on VW, although inside they are the same soulless MQB platforms.

That simply means the last car you used had a worse windscreen design than MKIII Octavia and was even more claustrophobic. Don't be fooled, Octavia III has a bad frontal window dimension and design.

But if you go to a car with a big windscreen and great visibility + tall roof you can't go back to the so called family cars that are not family cars at all.

Having driven the Passat, its like diving a barge through corners . Refinement and plastics ever so slightly better, but the extra kit you get on the Octavia for far less money makes it the smarter choice. Probably lost on you. Maybe buy a Transit - they have great sized windscreens. Or failing that, a bus.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2017 at 09:55, wyx087 said:

I had noticed the windscreen being lower than expected when first got in. But after I put the seat all the way to the bottom, it felt normal.

I think only this is good enough for OP:

1464969515-jl82609.jpg

Wonderful view.

That glass costs 1000+ euro.

What concept model is that from ?

43 minutes ago, ToffeeMRD said:

Having driven the Passat, its like diving a barge through corners . Refinement and plastics ever so slightly better, but the extra kit you get on the Octavia for far less money makes it the smarter choice. Probably lost on you. Maybe buy a Transit - they have great sized windscreens. Or failing that, a bus.

Nothing smart in buying a VW Group car, even Skoda just for the faith.

If you don't like the car design but still buy it, faith&brands can only empty your pockets; the mind/brain is already devoid of anything purposeful.

9 hours ago, umbral said:

Nothing smart in buying a VW Group car, even Skoda just for the faith.

If you don't like the car design but still buy it, faith&brands can only empty your pockets; the mind/brain is already devoid of anything purposeful.

Surely a 1000€+ windscreen as you mentioned somewhere would also empty your pockets? 

If you've not purchased a car yet have you considered this, lots of frontal view and it's definitely got lots of kit on it I suppose as it's almost a Merc, but please don't complain about the large heavy doors...

IMG_4350.JPG

11 hours ago, umbral said:

Wonderful view.

That glass costs 1000+ euro.

What concept model is that from ?

Tesla Model X, not concept, you can already buy today and there are quite a few on the road near where I am.