900000 now lives on a new car

Maybe splitting hairs here, but to me the Ateca is a Karoq in drag.  The Ateca doesn't have that split shoulder line like the Leon and Ibiza do to fit it in with their design language.  Is it not also built at a Skoda factory?

On 7/13/2017 at 08:22, ben4012 said:

Mods, please move this non-yeti thread to a suitable board. 

I posted in this section as this is where I posted most and know the most people. I'm also comparing a Yeti to another car which in my view is a 100% valid post in the Yeti section for future reference as to how a Yeti operates vs another car.

So having lived with the Touareg a bit longer now I'm pleased to say I super glad I stayed in the VAG fold. So many things are exactly the same as on my Yeti. The way the seat memories are set to each key. How you leave the mirror control in L (and not R as BOTH the Yeti and Touareg manual says) to have the passenger mirror drop when you reverse, how the sunroof opens that extra 100mm when you rotate it again after it has auto opened, how the blind inches forward for as long as you press and hold the lock key every time if you are closing windows and sunroof from the key, when and how the auto lights come on, how the parking sensors work, from how far they beep, what they sound like, the beep of the sat nav when you press it, the menu logic etc. All exactly the same.

But sadly just like the newer Yetis there is no lights on green light in the dash! The only way to know your lights are on is to look down at the main light switch which I really don't think is safe. 

Some newer cars might have more up to date tech and snazzy interiors than the Yeti but the Yeti is still an awesome car.

• Like 4

On 13/07/2017 at 14:50, john999boy said:

Maybe not strictly a Yeti thread but no harm in it staying here. 

Yeah, you definitely don't want to upset the Yeti Phanboiz. No telling what those dudes will get down to. 

Edit: I've just noticed some of them have liked  your comment, so you're probably safe for the moment. 

11 hours ago, 900000 said:

I posted in this section as this is where I posted most and know the most people. I'm also comparing a Yeti to another car which in my view is a 100% valid post in the Yeti section for future reference as to how a Yeti operates vs another car.

So having lived with the Touareg a bit longer now I'm pleased to say I super glad I stayed in the VAG fold. So many things are exactly the same as on my Yeti. The way the seat memories are set to each key. How you leave the mirror control in L (and not R as BOTH the Yeti and Touareg manual says) to have the passenger mirror drop when you reverse, how the sunroof opens that extra 100mm when you rotate it again after it has auto opened, how the blind inches forward for as long as you press and hold the lock key every time if you are closing windows and sunroof from the key, when and how the auto lights come on, how the parking sensors work, from how far they beep, what they sound like, the beep of the sat nav when you press it, the menu logic etc. All exactly the same.

But sadly just like the newer Yetis there is no lights on green light in the dash! The only way to know your lights are on is to look down at the main light switch which I really don't think is safe. 

Some newer cars might have more up to date tech and snazzy interiors than the Yeti but the Yeti is still an awesome car.

The two aren't really comparable or competition for one another. Toe rag is a ground-up development 4x4/suv nearing twice the weight. Yeti is a platform engineered c segment hatch. It's like comparing fish fingers to bass. 

1 hour ago, ben4012 said:

The two aren't really comparable or competition for one another. Toe rag is a ground-up development 4x4/suv nearing twice the weight. Yeti is a platform engineered c segment hatch. It's like comparing fish fingers to bass. 

I think it's an interesting comparison, though.  Why should we be restricted to staying in exactly the same "class" or "price bracket"?  Some of us don't buy cars like that.  For instance, when I bought my first Yeti, I test drove it against an Audi A1, since they both happened to meet my criteria of "something interesting that fits in my garage".  And it was worth it for the expression on the Audi saleswoman's face.

Edited by Zib

Welcome back Johann 

The lack of a ‘decent big engine’ is where Škoda fails in just about every model, this won’t change though otherwise most people wouldn’t buy the VW or Audi equivalent, and where MPG isn’t an issue it’s a no brainer IMO.

I also think that is should be in here, now the Yeti is no longer produced many other owners will be going through the same dilemma when it’s time to change.

We are not quite at that stage... but are actively looking, so far:

we loved the Kodiaq, but are put off with some of the build quality many are suffering with,

not sure the Karoq will be high enough spec for us,

have more than a passing interest in something pure electric, will find out in a few weeks / months if we pursue this avenue any more or not.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2017 at 21:11, ben4012 said:

Not remotely the case when you buy secondhand is it? If you compare a brand new car to a secondhand one for the same amount of money the world is your oyster. Hence I just laughed and laughed and laughed when the Kodiaq to my spec was £41,000. 

When having the Yeti serviced recently I looked at the Kodiaq in the showroom. Good spec. and nice but still only a 2.0 diesel and over £41K.!! No way, for that kind of money I'd want a 3.0 V6 and non-Skoda.

Following your mention of high glass lines I've been looking at different SUVs on the road. Had a Sportage alongside me yesterday and the base of the glass was considerably higher than the Yetis.

And saw a new Tiguan on the motorway, lower more acceptable glass line and much better looking than the previous model. I'll have a look at the Karoq but the Tiguan is taking my fancy more than anything else at the moment if I stick with VWG that is. Will also be taking a look at the Jaguar E Pace.

2 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Will also be taking a look at the Jaguar E Pace.

If you like driving around in something made of lead! That E-Pace is barely longer than a Yeti (though it is nearly as wide as my Touareg) and it weighs 1,700 kg plus! AND it is supposedly made of aluminium and all sorts of weight saving stuff?! JLR have no idea how to build anything light. Why is that?! Weird I have to say. Can't they just buy an MQB based VAG car and take it apart to find out how to build a proper lightweight car?!

Manufacturers do buy fully specced examples and disassemble them.

Interesting what you say about the weight - that won't help the fuel consumption. 

Edit: Having read more about the E Pace it's probably off the list. Too sporty, to match its looks really. The petrols have more power than my TT (!) which I don't really want in an SUV which won't be doing many miles in the future. And petrols are automatic only which my wife isn't keen on. Also once specced up it's going to be expensive!

Would be OK if the only car but the TT is a keeper so want something more utilitarian like the Yeti.  

Edited by VAGCF

13 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Manufacturers do buy fully specced examples and disassemble them.

Nope. But it does help to have a heavier car if you want to tow a decent sized caravan though! Which is one of the reasons I wanted something heavier than the Yeti/Kodiaq.

Why not post on the karrot/kodiak forums as it is more relative to those models and their owners and their experience of a similar model to the toe rag.

Awayoffski, what clique? I have never met nor corresponded with Johann or Graham and although I read their posts I don't promote them and only sometimes agree with them.

• Like 2

I go away for a few years and I come back and everything has changed. And nothing has changed. Long live the Yeti forum eh?!

• Like 1

So when I buy my next car. Honda,mazda,kia whatever i will still be able to post on here and discuss the new model and compare to other Skoda models  as long as I mention YETI a couple times and Because I've been posting on here for a while that's ok,nothing against 900000 and his fans but I've seen others who have had their posts which were More on topic than this and more relevant but moved by the moderator (some moderators).

Lets all calm down! :tongueout:

I must admit that there's been a number of posts which have been moved from the Yeti section to somewhere more relevant but if I do it then there's a good chance that a 'time expiring link' to the new location will be left so as not to cause confusion. This usually happens because, for one reason or another, the Yeti-ista seem to not poke their heads over the parapet into the many other varied sections of Briskoda.

Be diverse and encompass all that's on here.

Hopefully, and to be a spoilsport, the thread will stay on topic from now on. ;)

Edited by john999boy
Typo
  • Like 3