Skoda 1.4 TSI 150 DSG SE-L Exec estate. First longer term report.

I agree with almost everything you said, except I've no experience with diesels.

I switched to "driving on the right" in the menu. I didn't even realise the car would do it automatically.

ACC: next time it brings you to a halt, you can start going again with a flick toward you of the ACC stalk. No need to touch the pedal. Brilliant!

• Like 3

Just back from a European trip too and can concur with all you said.  Changed the headlights manually when waiting to get off the Eurotunnel into Calais....  forgot to do it when returning to England but turns out it did it itself.

The satnav for me was great - went through France, Belgium and Holland without a hitch.  Also liked the "new country" message when you crossed borders, advising of speed limits.

Mpg for me was around 51, and that was going mainly 75/80 on cruise, with a fully loaded boot, a wife in the front, 3 kids in the back and the aircon on constantly.

Like you I found the ACC fantastic, especially in traffic jams.  So much less tiring than having to dip a clutch, brake back and forth.  Takes a bit of trusting the car but it really was a revelation.  Thanks to freelunch for the stalk tip - will try this on the commute home today!

Edited by Mickey43
  • Like 1

Thanks Freelunch, I will try that stalk pull with the ACC in jams. My experience of the lights is that it would not let me set them manually until it had a SatNav fix and had re-initialised.

Thanks also Mickey43. I think my petrol mpg would be even closer to your diesel but for the drag of the bike rack and 2 bikes. Yes, speed limits display useful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, freelunch said:

ACC: next time it brings you to a halt, you can start going again with a flick toward you of the ACC stalk. No need to touch the pedal. Brilliant!

This works!   No need for feet in this car :D

Thanks for the tip.

18 minutes ago, Mickey43 said:

No need for feet in this car :D

I fear you could get a bit too complacent with all these driver aids! My foot is always hovering near the brake in thick traffic. A couple times, things have come to a halt so quickly that the car emits a "scream", the MaxiDot goes all red and says, "YOU DO IT!!!"

So far, I've been able to anticipate all of these moments. :o

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I fear you could get a bit too complacent with all these driver aids! My foot is always hovering near the brake in thick traffic. A couple times, things have come to a halt so quickly that the car emits a "scream", the MaxiDot goes all red and says, "YOU DO IT!!!"

So far, I've been able to anticipate all of these moments. :o

Ha, yes I know.  The foot is never too far from the brake! :D

We're picking up our car tomorrow, it seams every other post on here is extolling the virtues of ACC- I'm thinking I cocked up big time not spec'ing it :sadsmile:

Cheers,

Jamie

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JamieA said:

We're picking up our car tomorrow, it seams every other post on here is extolling the virtues of ACC- I'm thinking I cocked up big time not spec'ing it :sadsmile:

Cheers,

Jamie

I'm a dissenting voice who only sees value in it in very limited circumstances (which I rarely come across in my day-to-day driving), so I'd say not to worry about it too much! ;)

• Like 1

@JamieA If you don't have ACC, you won't miss it. It's one of those optional luxuries that you don't know you need until you've tried it. Like heated handlebar grips on a motorcycle. Or a smartphone with Google Maps.

DCC, on the other hand, is an optional luxury that came with my car that I could do without: I have tried all the settings and find I leave it in normal 95% of the time. I've got heated front seats and they've been switched on once. Mind, in December I might be grateful for them again.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, freelunch said:

@JamieA If you don't have ACC, you won't miss it. It's one of those optional luxuries that you don't know you need until you've tried it. Like heated handlebar grips on a motorcycle. Or a smartphone with Google Maps.

DCC, on the other hand, is an optional luxury that came with my car that I could do without: I have tried all the settings and find I leave it in normal 95% of the time. I've got heated front seats and they've been switched on once. Mind, in December I might be grateful for them again.

Dont change the DCC much, tend to keep it in comfort but it's good to flick the stick down to "S" now and again for a bit of a kick.  

Heated seats are an absolute necessity for me.... as you will see from my location. :D   They will be back on soon I'm sure!

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

@JamieA If you don't have ACC, you won't miss it. It's one of those optional luxuries that you don't know you need until you've tried it. 

I am looking forward to having bog standard cruise control after using a colleagues' car with it in the past, it's a step up from nothing at all!

Cheers,

Jamie

ACC will work so much better on UK Motorways as the speed of traffic in front is always varying  enough that you are always having to adjust the set speed, or cancelling it. Standard cruise is usually fine on US or Canadian Freeways - but not so great over here most of the time. My only regret for my Octavia is that I did not spec. ACC.

Edited by Warrior193
Typo

11 hours ago, freelunch said:

I agree with Warrior193. I had the standard cruise control on my Brera, tried it a few times and gave up on it. ACC is a whole different world of useful.

When I had standard cruise control, I used it all the time. I hardly use ACC, as I find it so frustrating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveo138 said:

When I had standard cruise control, I used it all the time. I hardly use ACC, as I find it so frustrating. 

It takes a bit of getting used to but in the right circumstances it's tremendous.

3 hours ago, freelunch said:

@daveo138 Do you spend much time on the M11/A14/M25?

But, you're right. ACC has a steep learning curve. This car is like a computer with four wheels, with a manual to match.

I spend a lot of time on the M42/M40/A34. 

I find it slows down when I don't want it to, brakes when I don't want to brake, and when the car in front eventually moves over, it's desperately slow to accelerate. 

I tried using it on the A34 in Oxfordshire one day. There was a wide load holding everything up, so I thought it would be an ideal time to use it, with nobody going anywhere. Traffic speed was still varying, but it's so slow to accelerate that white van man behind me was waving his arms about. I decided it was better not to use it.

I have yet to find any situation where I have thought "wow, this is so much better than standard CC". Quite the reverse. 

Hi dave0138. Each to their own I guess. One point you may have missed - you can change how quickly ACC accelerates back to the set speed. See the settings menu. You can also just prod the accelerator.:biggrin:

I have just learned from reading the manual that when you indicate to overtake and your speed is less than the max set by the ACC, the car will start to accelerate up to the set speed.

• Like 1

Yes, you can just prod the accelerator - I do that a lot!

Also, when approaching another, slower vehicle, you have to indicate and start to manoeuvre way too early in order for it not to brake, even with the range set to the shortest distance. 

38 minutes ago, Skodafanmaybe said:

you can change how quickly ACC accelerates back to the set speed. See the settings menu. 

I have just checked the manual and you are correct - partly. My car does not give me that option when I look at the ACC options in driver assistance. 

The manual does say that ACC will accelerate faster when in 'sport' mode. Mine is permanently in sport mode. 

57 minutes ago, Skodafanmaybe said:

Hi dave0138. Each to their own I guess. One point you may have missed - you can change how quickly ACC accelerates back to the set speed. See the settings menu. You can also just prod the accelerator.:biggrin:

I have just learned from reading the manual that when you indicate to overtake and your speed is less than the max set by the ACC, the car will start to accelerate up to the set speed.

Didn't know that.  Will try!

The things you learn when you read a manual!    ;D

Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent folks. I was annoyed by ACC's various foibles at first, but I can anticipate and override them now.

If daveo138 is constantly in sport mode, it may well be that ACC is a bit too leisurely for aggressive driving.

I have the same car on order. I have the same engine and gearbox combination in an A3 saloon and have really enjoyed the car.

My logic when ordering and moving from a Passat CC 170PS diesel manual was the torque deficit won't be noticed with a DSG. And this particular car had low emissions and therefore low BIK... like the Superb.

Looking forward to the Superb and the ACC - had it on the demo Passat GTE and liked it more than I thought I would. 

I think I am right in saying with lane assist, then in slow stop-start traffic the experience can be even more hands and feet of... :)

1 hour ago, rtj70 said:

I think I am right in saying with lane assist, then in slow stop-start traffic the experience can be even more hands and feet off... :)

Don't forget to engage the automatic wake up call feature! ;)