New Petrol and Diesel cars banned from 2040

Girardi

ive heard this before and by the time 2039 comes along the goal posts will be moved again no doubt, something ive learnt in my 50yrs of life is not to believe everything you here, and if im still around by then please tell me I wrong that is of course if I am wrong!

Well there is one way to look at it, there would be no more vehicles bursting into flames from fuel, just batteries exploding and spewing toxic / acid every before bursting into flames!

Unless all electric vehicles by then were powered by Lithium Ion witch contain little toxic materials of course, but still have the potential to explode

Civil unrest in UK Cities will be interesting in the next decade. No use for Boris Water Cannons to extinguish barriers made with over turned EV's police vehicles etc,

they will need foam or what ever powders are used and it will go from riot to foam party.

Edited by Awayoffski

This is another NOT thought through vomit of an idea, just like the £20 road tax, that was never sustainable.

Here is an off the top of head list of potential lost revenue.

- Duty & Tax form the Oil producer

-  Duty & VAT from the pumps.

- Tax & Ni from the lost jobs in the refineries.

- Revenue to the local councils of business rates on the land where the refineries are.

- associated business supplying refineries , jobs lost, business rates lost

- Tax and NI & business rates from the petrol stations.

- Road tax on the EV. Currently £0 ( for car under £40k)

Can anyone add more ?

By then any EV bought will be able to drive itself so you wont need a driving licence ( revenue lost there ) - the Tesla Model 3 is capable now to self drive but not allowed to.

Doesnt take a genius to work out who will be funding a charge point for your newly acquired EV, not the governments problem if you live in a top floor flat and you cant park outside the building  :) .

Edited by lfc958

There are not that many UK refineries with Cracking plants and Grangemouth will keep going with Petrol Chemicals and Marine, Aero & Heating fuels as will the others.  

As it is the huge amounts of electricity required to produce Road Fuels requires Oil & Gas so that will go to producing more Petrochemicals for manufacturing vehicles etc, or will require less imported Oil & Gasses.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

http://greenergy.com/about 

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Warmonkry said:

Hmm.......thought I'd read that hybrids would still be built!

Hybrids, most of them anyways, are a cop out IMO with people buying them just to avoid the congestion charge and they pollute pretty much as full ICE vehicles.  Someone i know swapped his 520D for a Prius and just drove it around with the revs in the top thirds nearly all the time and complained about the performance and probably got worse MPG.  Volvo might so it right but many hybrids actually get MPG no better than full ICE cars. 

I personally believed that hybrids have always been a con, the carbon footprint argument is rubbish specially the manufacture of the batteries & it still emits co2 regardless of how much it is from a very small petrol engine, which runs probably well over 75% of the time, and all those that boast of getting 3 figure MPG obviusly run mostly on electric so do very little miles, in that case, walk , bike or public transport would probably work out a lot cheaper over however long they keep the hybrid.

Anyone notice that these cars on the motorway are generally tonking it in the outside lane seems like a tax perk company car owner.

34 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

I was looking at the info on a Golf GTE, 30 miles range on electric only, I could do my commute on that and only need ICE for longer trips. 

Sure, but are you an evil genius? ;)

20 hours ago, lfc958 said:

Can anyone add more ?

Revenue lost from all types motor sport events, classic car shows etc

The extinction of the ice cream van  as he can no longer power his refrigeration all day with the fear of not enough battery life to get him home  :crying:

This list can go on and on and on, surely before this comes in force someone will actually think before they speak and realize somebody acted on impulse what may have been a good idea at that moment and not viable in the big wide world we live in.

Can just imagine it a Yamaha R1 powered by Duracell that heavy it would become in practical to use !

Edited by kezwald

Maybe Ice Cream vans need a suitable battery source (maybe a fridge sized power pack as are being fitted in homes now ) and a Canopy type set up or the vans roof with Solar Panels or even a portable Wind Turbine or 2 that can be erected when on site, flag pole type or like the big satellite dish style that motor homers have or mobile banks but a wind turbine in the housing,

that should cover UK Summer Weather conditions, no sun and blowing a gale.

*Fridges / Freezers come gas powered from Bottle Gas and the industry will just have to ensure emissions are low or none existent, not like the crap condenser boiler systems that households got that were not fit for purpose or died when heating was required. Baron John Prescott / 2 Jags was the one Big Upping that systems i seem to remember.*

Maybe other than for track use in the UK for Motorsports R1 power will not be required on motorcycles with the UK NSL of 60mph (70mph some road types)

Battery or Hydrogen power might be enough to get Solo's / Outfits / Trikes around UK trips with enough range.

Plenty EV's are doing touring on the North Coast 500 route and other long routes now.

Classic Cars are Classics now, the country is full of Classics already built and future classics if people just bother to conserve them and not like at the last Scrappage scheme cash in on cars that should never have been scrapped.

Are we really worried that when Petrol & Diesel cars are no longer built that there will be no 2030 build vehicles for classic collectors in 2060?

HGV's & Agricultural Vehicles, Heavy Plant, Cranes, Motorway Building machinery will be using Derv long into the future, 

maybe just not so much in Urban areas, but there are still lots that will need to.

Generators to power electrical equipment and air tools etc are liable to be as are for long enough unless there are Industry changes pretty soon.

Edited by Awayoffski

16 hours ago, kezwald said:

This list can go on and on and on, surely before this comes in force someone will actually think before they speak and realize somebody acted on impulse what may have been a good idea at that moment and not viable in the big wide world we live in.

I would like to think so too, but we are talking about politicians here, and i stand by the point that the £20 VED and zero on hybrids was so obviously not thought out and this latest VED change was an OH 5h1t reaction to the dwindling revenue.

Other options are

-  That when introduced the gov of the day thought - that wont be our problem - (back to OH 5h1t reaction ;)  )

-  They would keep that bad news quiet and let that cat out of the bag later.

I know where my choice goes :)  

Are we reading this wrong?

Is it not that from 2040 all cars must be hybrid and that any ban would apply to vehicles powered by petrol or diesel motors only?

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/11/2022 at 07:18, toot said:

Fuel duty and VAT to increase in the UK next year.  Something not that clear from yesterday's Autumn Budget Statement but is in the stuff that gets found in the Papers when people look at the detail. 

There will be an outcry on this, as usual. They'll back down, as usual. And then it'll be sold as if it was a cut, as usual.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Certainly worth thinking about if living in Wyoming and with an Electric car.

There are also crazies in government in the UK as well though that somehow think that they seriously will be able to go ahead with what they propose to happen in the UK in 7 years.