Remap is it worthwhile

7 hours ago, donny1972 said:

What if you have an accident and your injured and unable to remove box? Good chance your insurance company would find the box and you could find yourself thousands out of pocket.

You'd always declare it to your insurers, that's not the issue, it's warranty. 

19 hours ago, LU13LEW said:

Had mine remapped over the weekend and had the EGR blanked ! Like night and day in terms of driving worth every penny ! 

IMG_8662.JPG

I bet, though a 30% increase in max torque that now arrives at 2k rpm instead of 3k means a much bigger dynamic load on the drive train. I'd prefer a map that gives a peak torque figure that's at worst the same engine speed as standard, which is more difficult to achieve. 

Hi, I have just had my Octy MK3 remapped, stage 1 remap took mine from 148bhp to 189bhp, only costing me £200. Superior performance in sports mode, and gained a extra 10mpg cruising around tow, average 65-70mpg. 

Def worth it!

Screenshot_20170919-132949.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@ paddy37 - can you please share more details - graphics, acceleration, etc...

Do you expect any additional burden for DPF?

Hi TTodorov.

Sorry i do not have the powergraph anymore, But i can tell you, see a different in Torque and power straight away! 

Fuel saving in 'ECO' mode i have also noticed straight away.

Here is the website of the Company i have used, very helpful, answered 'ALL' my concerns and questions. 

Www.maprotuning.co.uk

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TTodorov said:

@ paddy37 - can you please share more details - graphics, acceleration, etc...

Do you expect any additional burden for 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

65-70 mpg?!! is hybrid territory...  

Yes, kid you not, cruising in a 30mph speed limit in 4th gear, chugging along can average 65mpg easy, but barring in mind as soon as i gear up or hit 4th gear harder it goes down, next time i am in my Octavia i will get some pictures or a short video with a link... 

Definitley glad i had it remapped, I have been told it will take about a year to recoup the saving on diesel, to the price of the Remap. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 23:03, Headinawayoffski said:

Deeejay1045,  maybe you think it is an internet myth were a owner is asked to sign a warranty claim and are asked the question on any non factory approved 

engine management being used because a Warranty Claim is an Insurance Claim and a fraudulent statement would be attempting to commit fraud.

Then a Loss Adjuster checks Social Media / Car Forums and asks to see your Insurance Schedule.

You get the option to cancel your Warranty Claim, or pay for work carried out under the Warranty.

Seems far fetched, but do your research and you will find that fact is stranger than fiction.

Commission is quite good on saving a Manufacturer / Underwriter several thousand pounds.

Is a new car warranty claim an insurance claim?  I don't think all that insurance stuff has much relevance regarding a new car warranty.  

Generally the way it works is you go to the dealer who won't get paid for the warranty work if Skoda find out that the owner has breached the terms of the warranty, so the dealer is pretty keen to ensure they won't get stiffed with the cost of repairs when Skoda review the claim, so they are pretty interested in your  compliance with terms before starting warranty work.   For major work I think the garages  seek prior authorisation from the manufacturer.

One would imagine in this day and age that for anything significant Skoda would probably want some data from the car to see what legitimate use led to the failure, and if that reveals evidence of boost/fuelling etc outside of normal parameters they might reasonably be reluctant to meet the repair cost without confirming this was not due to customer mods.

I guess its technically fraudulent to make a warranty claim knowing you are in breach of its terms, but say for instance your car radio stops working and two years ago you'd put 0.5L of 10W/40 top-up oil in your car when the handbook says 5W/50 would you 'fess up?   As its difficult to see any conceivable link one would hope Skoda would honour the claim regardless, but even so.

The subject was Remaps. (Maybe even Tuning Boxes.)

Fraudulant claims are fraud not technically fraud. Lies are lies not fibs.

An engine failure being knocked back as a warranty claim is highly unlikely to be blamed on a replacement radio,

a fried ECU from some muppet thinking they can open an ECU or remap via the OBDII Port, and do a bit of tweeking, and then reverting to Factory Spec, or hook up a gash Tuning box but fails is a different matter.

A persons insurance on a vehicle is very relevant when someone / VW Group think there is a fraudulent Warranty Claim, 

a Loss Adjuster / Investigator might well ask to see your insurance or check online and also check Social Media because they earn saving those employing them money.

It might be difficult to see what might conceivably happen, or to imagine but then it does happen that when caught out you might be asked to withdraw your claim, 

and people do.

ECU's do get investigated. Even how often Launch Control might have been active etc, 

but then that is not a Warranty Voider, but other information retrieved can be.

If you work in the motor trade or vehicle repair and are not Tommy you will be aware of many things that might be inconceivable to others.

The Basics of Auto Warranties.mhtml

Why Repair Claims are Denied.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

Take it as granted that a remap or tuning box will void your warranty hence why people usually wait until the warranty period has expired before making these kind of mods otherwise it's a gamble you take.  Pretty ironic though that the new map put in place as part of the emissions fix is making problems that they are now having to cover with a warranty extension. Trying to get them to pay out even with the extended warranty is hard work and they use the argument that the fix has nothing to do with the sudden failures post fix.

• Like 1

So back to topic.

Yes, my remap was well worth it.

1.6 TDI is a bit underpowered for a superb and when the exhaust return valve got blocked it was a no brainer to get that bypassed, the extra MPG and HP was a massive bonus.

Very pleased with the result.

Waitinbg for an excuse to do it to the 2.0

• Like 3

There are many that do not wait until out of warranty and the strange thing is they are just renting cars not theirs and that are going to be returned as the Warranty Expires, some of those are caught out when there are Warranty Issues during the Manufacturers Warranty Period & a rejected Warranty Claim can be an expensive 

thing.

Where people own a vehicle i have no idea why they think after 3 years they will just pay up from their own pocket after modding if something goes wrong, 

but for 3 years they will drive cars that they want more out off.

Life is too short, remap all you want, and pay out if it goes TiTs up.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/342527-bmw-refuse-warranty-claim-after-trackday-ouch-update-claim-now-paid 

Not a Remap issue, just a BMW attempt at rejecting due to Motorsport Use, and there is a Santa Pod up the track thread linked in there as well.

The Insurance / Legal Sections of various forums have Modded Car Owners having Insurance Claims, & Warranty Claims knocked back.

why does it always feel like we are going round in circles when remaps are mentioned... the pipe and slippers brigade [possibly ex coppers] seem to come out in force.

yes! it voids your warranty, yes! your engine could go bang [it could go bang anyway] yes! its fraud if you take a busted car back to the dealer claiming it was stock.....

yes! its a ton of fun watching that BMW320 disappear in your rear mirror..... is it worth it for the smiles? yes! its worth it. 

nothing to see here move along please.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

why does it always feel like we are going round in circles when remaps are mentioned... the pipe and slippers brigade [possibly ex coppers] seem to come out in force.

yes! it voids your warranty, yes! your engine could go bang [it could go bang anyway] yes! its fraud if you take a busted car back to the dealer claiming it was stock.....

yes! its a ton of fun watching that BMW320 disappear in your rear mirror..... is it worth it for the smiles? yes! its worth it. 

nothing to see here move along please.

Mostly agree except I'd like to know of I'm remapping a strong or an inherently weak engine. See above somewhere having been through the blown turbo experience, I'd like to avoid it obviously. Blindly accepting it might isn't any more useful than blindly it won't. Details are important, so back to the op, we all know about the warranty / insurance risks, the real question is which engines can take it? It's really important that your turbo doesn't shatter if it's diesel, if you don't know why go look for it. Remember a petrol engine is controlled by air flow, a diesel by fuel. 

13 hours ago, SkodaVRS1963 said:

My spidey senses are tingling.........

I don’t doubt that’s an indicated improvement...proof is in the pudding though. My tuning box showed a similar improvement, in reality it was 2mpg at best on a cruise. Put your foot down and it all disappears 

• Like 1

Vtec to vrs. 

You're tuning box, is it a chip or a remap, the guy that did my remap, said you adjusted the power band settings for Sports and Eco mode, specifically power ad torque in sports mode, and fuel saving for Eco.

I knew prove would be asked, so my partner took so photo's while we were out today. Cruising between 30mph and 40mph, in 4th and 5th gear.

But as you said as soon as you hit the pedal hard you start losing the MPG.

20171007_154242.jpg

23 minutes ago, Paddy37 said:

Vtec to vrs. 

You're tuning box, is it a chip or a remap, the guy that did my remap, said you adjusted the power band settings for Sports and Eco mode, specifically power ad torque in sports mode, and fuel saving for Eco.

I knew prove would be asked, so my partner took so photo's while we were out today. Cruising between 30mph and 40mph, in 4th and 5th gear.

But as you said as soon as you hit the pedal hard you start losing the MPG.

20171007_154242.jpg

That's not a remap. I think they've swapped your motor for a hybrid.... 

Cruising around town i am conservative driver, easy on the throttle and brakes, don't get me wrong, i have great fun in Sports mode when needed, but since the remap i have easierly gain 10mpg in eco mode, i get an easy extra 100miles out of a tank in purely Eco mode. 

20171007_154439.jpg