mk3 MFSW retrofit - button lights/illumination

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I took my car to @Eddie-NL to get a Maxidot cluster fitted and the car coded for my new multifunction steering wheel.  Eddie has been very helpful over the past couple of months while I've been sourcing parts to do the swap - he's a top man - and everything is working spot on...

... with one exception!  The buttons do not illuminate with the lights on the car.  If anyone else has done this swap I wondered if they'd come across the issue and managed to fix it?

The parts I used for the swap are as follows:

• mk3 MFSW vRS steering wheel
  • airbag from 2013 rapid (badge on cover damaged - replaced by me)
  • MFSW airbag loom
  • MFSW buttons from 2016 Yeti, part 5E0 919 719 L - Eddie advised 5E0 919 719 E/F/G variants; they have to be from a PQ35 platform car, however he was unfamiliar with the L variant. I believe they have white lights instead of green.
  • steering wheel control module, 1K0 953 549 CD from 2010 Golf Plus (CH was advised)
  • wash/wipe stalk without trip controls, part 1K0 953 519 H (mk5 Golf)
  • Maxidot instrument cluster, part 1Z0 920 943 M, SW version 0420 (T was advised as latest for vRS Diesel)
  • VW Passat B6 R36 instrument cluster adapter 36-32 pin (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-VW-Passat-B6-R36-Instrument-Cluster-Adapter-36-to-32-Pins-Plug-Play-Harness/172501302706?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)
  • 2x transponders for key fobs to be coded to the clocks & immobiliser - thanks Ed

My car is an early CR Diesel, 2008, so I didn't need to upgrade the CAN gateway, although I believe for earlier pre FL models this is necessary.

If the lights on the buttons can be made to work with a bit of coding in VCDS/VAGCOM I would be happy, otherwise I will have to start looking for another Yeti/Superb steering wheel.

IMAG1036.jpg

IMAG1038.jpg

Edited by mrhappy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm seeing a guy tomorrow - a contact of a friend who reckons he's a bit of a car-laptop wizard (we'll see).

People with the right sort of VAGCOM/VCDS knowledge: do you think it could be possible to 'code' these button lights to work?

I remember when lights were hard-wired to switches in cars, why does it have to be more complicated than that these days?!

2 hours ago, tubbytommy said:

I did the swap on my old 2012 vrs.

Everything worked and lit up fine.

Are you sure it's a coding problem 

No, I'm not sure because I don't do coding, but I don't know how else to test them.  Any ideas?

I'm sure the wiring harness is correct, illumination is done by CAN signal. 

The earlier mfsw buttons worked fine, your buttons are from a later car so probably don't understand the command from the CECM

would have been interesting to see if the illumination would have work in my car with my BCM

18 minutes ago, Eddie-NL said:

would have been interesting to see if the illumination would have work in my car with my BCM

I wondered that myself a few days after seeing you. You don't fancy swapping your green buttons for some lovely white ones do you? They're 2017 you know... ;)

If i have non facelift mfsw and non facelift instrument cluster can this mfsw work on my car?...or i need  a new instrument cluster 2cip for the key and wiring loon for the cluster etc?

My  car is 2005 1.9 tdi  , the steering controler knows lin 1.3...i gues i need one who knows 1.3 and 2.0 lin wrigt?

Thx in advance!

3 hours ago, gabi2004 said:

If i have non facelift mfsw and non facelift instrument cluster can this mfsw work on my car?...or i need  a new instrument cluster 2cip for the key and wiring loon for the cluster etc?

My  car is 2005 1.9 tdi  , the steering controler knows lin 1.3...i gues i need one who knows 1.3 and 2.0 lin wrigt?

Thx in advance!

You need a LIN2.0 controller

You can fit it but won't have any Trip Computer / Maxidot control with a Pre-facelift cluster

For a fully working set up you would need to install FL Maxidot

I met a chap called Ben this evening who had a good look at the car.  He seemed to know his stuff and, like you @Eddie-NL he was baffled as to why it wasn't working.

He tried to force the interior lights on through VCDS, which didn't work, so he thinks there may be an issue (fault or compatibility) with the steering wheel control module.  He's going to do some research but thinks that flashing updated software to the controller might help.

Everything I've read about this retrofit points to needing a 'CH' controller, but according to http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions the only difference between this and the 'CD' version is the location of the steering angle sensor - same LIN bus version etc.

The CECM is part 3C8 937 049 E, coding: A1880F230004140043110D000000000000097F075C00000C000000000000 (hex).  I don't know if this information bears any relevance?

It seems the consensus is that late Yeti buttons, rev 'L', don't understand the signal from the steering wheel controller to illuminate.  Hopefully this is a pre-facelift, 1K0 issue and they would work on a facelift model 5K0, but I would need to test them somehow. 

I'm considering buying an earlier Yeti wheel, assuming the wheel part number 5L0419091G correlates with buttons 5E0919719F.  Can anyone confirm this assumption?

• 2 weeks later...

I met with langers2k who very kindly allowed me to test my buttons on his MY12 Elegance and his buttons on mine. Good news is they both worked and lit up in opposite cars!  So the white buttons understand the instruction from the car to light up, yipee!

I have just purchased another steering wheel, 5L0 419 091 G with the correct buttons 5E0 919 719 F (2015 Yeti) and all is working fine now.  They were a bit grubby so I opened them up and gave everything a good clean with some spirit.  I've also managed to sell on the other buttons to break even :)

Thanks @langers2k for your help, really appreciate the effort!

IMAG1117.jpg

14 hours ago, chrisw3205 said:

Glad you got it all working! Looking forward to receiving the buttons and getting my mfsw fitted and set up. 

Top guy! Been great chatting to you over the past week :thumbup:

You're welcome Chris, it's been a pleasure. You've got crack on with it now, no excuses! B)

• 4 months later...
On 15/08/2017 at 12:54, Eddie-NL said:

You can fit it but won't have any Trip Computer / Maxidot control with a Pre-facelift cluster

@Eddie-NL what would not work with pre-FL Maxidot? Only the two scroll buttons for radio volume and maxidot up/down control?

I have installed Octavia III RS MFSW with 5E0919719G buttons in my pre-FL Octavia II and only volume and up/down controls are not working. But it doesn't bother me, because I will also replace my pre-FL cluster with FL one.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2017 at 13:54, Eddie-NL said:

All buttons work, except ccs  with polo 6c buttons and a ch controler....but what do i need except instrument cluster  and wiring conector for new white ic to function corectly.

Mine is 2005 1,9 bjb engine...

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this old tread, however I'm hoping that maybe here I may get some advice on MFSW.

In short, my Citigo's BCM physically doesn't have pin for LIN but it does have LIN2.

Have a look HERE at the original tread in citigo's aection.

Your input would be more than appreciated.