About to order - final spec check please?

Hi all

I'm about to place an order for a fairly well spec'd 220TSI in L&K trim with the following options above standard:

Sunroof

Heated wheel with paddles

Travel assist, traffic sign recognition, and smart light assist

Rear view camera

Waste bins (!)

Rear door sunblinds

Temp spare wheel

Heated washer nozzles

Net partition (to avoid needing a roof box on family holidays)

Omissions include ventilated seats, massaging function, variable boot floor, adjust passenger seat from rear, media command, wlan, larger wheels, wireless charging with phone box, and the boot rear seat releases.

Obviously this is a personal opinion thing, but I'd be really grateful to hear if anyone thinks I'll massively regret leaving out any of the options I've not ticked.

Thank you.

Edited by Participant

Having had ventilated seats for over fives years and recently driven an Ateca (in lieu of future Karoq) with full leather and no ventilated seats for two days and over 220 miles I would now always specify ventilated seats. Not massage seats though.

31 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

Having had ventilated seats for over fives years and recently driven an Ateca (in lieu of future Karoq) with full leather and no ventilated seats for two days and over 220 miles I would now always specify ventilated seats. Not massage seats though.

Thanks Danny. Have you any experience of the ventilated seats in the Superb? I seem to remember reading that they weren't that effective.

1 hour ago, Participant said:

Hi all

I'm about to place an order for a fairly well spec'd 220TSI in L&K trim with the following options above standard:

Sunroof

Heated wheel with paddles

Travel assist, traffic sign recognition, and smart light assist

Rear view camera

Waste bins (!)

Rear door sunblinds

Temp spare wheel

Heated washer nozzles

Net partition (to avoid needing a roof box on family holidays)

Omissions include ventilated seats, massaging function, variable boot floor, adjust passenger seat from rear, media command, wlan, larger wheels, wireless charging with phone box, and the boot rear seat releases.

Obviously this is a personal opinion thing, but I'd be really grateful to hear if anyone thinks I'll massively regret leaving out any of the options I've not ticked.

Thank you.

Camera is essential in my view good choice.  Heated windscreen is great also

1 hour ago, Participant said:

Thanks Danny. Have you any experience of the ventilated seats in the Superb? I seem to remember reading that they weren't that effective.

My car is an L&K Superb II with ventilated seats. Personally I find them effective and that to me was brought home when I had the Ateca which did have non ventilated leather.

3 hours ago, facet edge said:

Front parking sensors are useful, the nose is a long way away :sweat:

Standard on L&K I believe.

I've been looking at a similar spec, I though the heated jets might be a bit superflous with a heated screen.

I've been having similar thoughts about the heated nozzles being pointless with a heated windscreen, because as the ice on the screen melts the wipers can shift it anyway. But then I guess it would make it even faster with heated nozzles. The thing is I've had them on previous cars and even with 100% concentrate they've still been blocked on a frosty morning.

I'm also debating upgrading the engine and downgrading the trim to stay in budget, as I keep pining after the 4x4 280. Gaaah!

I have an L&K 220 with very similar spec to yours incl the options, but not the sunroof or waste bins.

I would certainly go for the ventilated seats which I have found very effective. I would also add the mudflaps front and rear and a boot liner. I later added some better LED boot and door lights which have worked well.

The heated screen works very well but you still need to clean it once the ice has melted, so the heated nozzles are useful.

Not convinced about the heated steering wheel/paddles and would not bother with Smartgate which cause me more frustration than benefit.

I was tempted by the 280, but its a lot more money which I felt was better used on the options. The 220 is a very quick car and does most of what I need. Hsaving driven both, the 280 drive very similarly to the 220 except at high revs when the extra power comes through. You don't get the same proportionate increase  torque, so overall it needs to be driven quite hard to notice any difference. The main advantage is 4wd. The 220 struggles to use all of the power in the wet. In my view, the ideal car would be a 220 4wd for an additional £1500 or so.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2017 at 12:17, Participant said:

Would be useful to know what you'd use the car for and your driving style. Do you drive only in town, or are you the impatient eager-to-overtake kind?

Also, wireless charging is awesome, you'll be sorry you didn't get it if you gonna have a compatible phone in the future.

17 hours ago, ionelmc said:

Would be useful to know what you'd use the car for and your driving style. Do you drive only in town, or are you the impatient eager-to-overtake kind?

Also, wireless charging is awesome, you'll be sorry you didn't get it if you gonna have a compatible phone in the future.

My daily commute is 20 miles each way through mainly country A and B roads. Occasionally I need to do long motorway trips with work.

I'd definitely say I'm the type that's keen to overtake, when safe to do so, of course!

Wireless charging is an interesting one. I use galaxy note phones, which are compatible with Skoda's system. Two things strike me with that though:

1. I'll be using android auto for the Google integration. This requires that the phone is connected through USB anyway.

2. You can get a generic wireless charging hub for £15 from Amazon etc., which fits in the phone box tray. 

So I'm far more interested in the signal boosting than the wireless charging.

Personally I would not be speccing the rear sunblinds on an L&K.  It already comes with sunset glass in the rear, so anything else would be money for nothing, unless there is something I am missing.

I too was looking at the wireless charging, but it's not worth the £300. there is this fit yourself built in wireless charging that is designed for the MK VII golf and I was wondering if it would fit in to the superb.   It's still expensive compared to the usb one for £8, but it's a lot cheaper than buying it from Skoda.

Also, the spare wheel.  I personally prefer a spare wheel to the puncture kit, but IIRC the spare wheel is a 16" spare, and if the  front brakes are anything like the 200bhp octavia vrs ones, the spare wheel will not fit on the front. This means that if you need to change the front wheel, you would have to take the rear off first. Luckily enough I've never had to do it, but it would be a pain in the neck and more dangrous, especially on a fast moving road.

Edited by roo
clearing it up a bit.
  • Thanks 1

Well if you like overtaking maybe you should get the 280 instead of indulging yourself with leather seats, sunroof and other good on paper but completely useless in practice features like Travel assist or Smart light assist. I have all of those and they are so bad I have disabled them. Waste of money. Only traffic sign recognition is worth having.

1 hour ago, ionelmc said:

Well if you like overtaking maybe you should get the 280 instead of indulging yourself with leather seats, sunroof and other good on paper but completely useless in practice features like Travel assist or Smart light assist. I have all of those and they are so bad I have disabled them. Waste of money. Only traffic sign recognition is worth having.

Fair points but as I understand it, for all practical intents and purposes the 220 and the 280 are identical for a moving vehicle between 1500 and 4500 rpm. Fairly sure the 220 will perform overtakes admirably.

Maybe I should just get an SE-L and forget all these frivolous extras!

Edited by Participant

Overtakes shouldn't be done with engine under 4k rpm on a petrol engine, seen too many videos with accidents/incidents involving gear/rpm mismanagement :)

Anyway, note that in the wet the 220 may struggle.

Can you spec progressive steering and sport suspension? I'd say they are must for sporty driving. And no, DCC in sports mode still has horrible roll.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:12, Participant said:

I would agree with that to an extent.  I never had them before and ordered them on my SIII.  Don't get me wrong, they do make a difference and I'd probably miss them on a hot day now but I am surprised that they are not even cooler.  There are three settings and I never really notice much difference in cooling beyond the first setting.  It s a 'nice-to-have' but not a 'must-have' IMO.

Nice spec though already with the L&K and the one option I love is the heated wheel with paddles.  Half the price of the cooled seats and well worth.  I'd be careful going above 18" wheels as ride will suffer.  18" are the optimal for the SII in terms of aesthetics IMO.

Edited by Superb170
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

I would agree with that to an extent.  I never had them before and ordered them on my SIII.  Don't get me wrong, they do make a difference and I'd probably miss them on a hot day now but I am surprised that they are not even cooler.  There are three settings and I never really notice much difference in cooling beyond the first setting.  It s a 'nice-to-have' but not a 'must-have' IMO.

Nice spec though already with the L&K and the one option I love is the heated wheel with paddles.  Half the price of the cooled seats and well worth.  I'd be careful going above 18" wheels as ride will suffer.  18" are the optimal for the SII in terms of aesthetics IMO.

Thanks. I think the main reason I'm tempted by the ventilated seats is actually the posher looking perforated leather.

Heated wheel with paddles is definitely at the top of my list, especially for the price and the amount you interact with a steering wheel!

Edited by Participant

40 minutes ago, Participant said:

Thanks. I think the main reason I'm tempted by the ventilated seats is actually the posher looking perforated leather.

Heated wheel with paddles is definitely at the top of my list, especially for the price and the amount you interact with a steering wheel!

Yes, the perforated seats look much better than the standard ones and give it a more upmarket look and feel