Skoda Yeti 1.2 DSG Creeping issues, or normal?

gman88667733

All that matters if if you stop on a bit of a slope, at traffic lights, junction etc and as you move your foot from brake pedal to accelerator does the car hold for a few seconds or does it roll back into the vehicle behind unless you use the hand brake to hold it.

They hold, hill hold assist with a DSG what ever brochures say or call it.

Just now, Awayoffski said:

All that matters if if you stop on a bit of a slope, at traffic lights, junction etc and as you move your foot from brake pedal to accelerator does the car hold for a few seconds or does it roll back into the vehicle behind unless you use the hand brake to hold it.

They hold, hill hold assist with a DSG what ever brochures say or call it.

It holds itself for a good few seconds

My 2014 1.2 tsi SE DSG had hill hold, as does my 2017 1,2 tsi SEL Drive DSG. I do find though that on a steep hill if I slightly reduce brake pressure and then reapply it hardens the pedal higher up and holds its position (ie less travel). It has done this on both cars.

37 minutes ago, P6bJOHN said:

My 2014 1.2 tsi SE DSG had hill hold, as does my 2017 1,2 tsi SEL Drive DSG. I do find though that on a steep hill if I slightly reduce brake pressure and then reapply it hardens the pedal higher up and holds its position (ie less travel). It has done this on both cars.

Mine does that too! It slightly confused me the first time!

On 8/15/2017 at 13:31, gman88667733 said:

Speaking of labouring the engine, my car seems to labour the engine a lot, by selecting 6th gear at about 30MPH, the engine seems to really not like it and it takes a firm press on the gas to change down to 5th and then it goes above the 30 limit...argh!

I know it is to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions, but I only get 30ish MPG as it is anyway,

not sure if it helps - I've a 6 speed manual 1.2 TSI

checked it out today and the digi display tells me to change into 5th gear at 33 mph and into 6th gear at 40mph

so I guess an auto changing to 6th at 30 mph then 7th at ??? would be similar

I'm getting about 37 mpg 

but I don't change gear below 2500 rpm :devil:

54 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Put it in 'S' and it will rev more before changing gear, and pretty soon you will likely just go back to leaving it in 'D'.

Who do you see doing a DSG remap for the DQ200 box you have?

I know, S is not suitable for daily driving.

I am unsure exactly, I'm sure I saw a Revo one nearby?

40 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

I know, S is not suitable for daily driving.

I am unsure exactly, I'm sure I saw a Revo one nearby?

Why isn't Sport mode suitable for daily driving?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

The DSG variants have always had hill hold as standard.

Not the Yeti city version and similar, like the Monte Carlo.

The salesman lent me his monte carlo 150 dsg 4x4 for a long test drive over a couple of hours.

This did not have hill hold and I had to use the handbrake to do a hill start, which was quite difficult.

12 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Why isn't Sport mode suitable for daily driving?

It is quite aggressive and somewhat out of keeping with the silky smooth performance of the 1.2 -quite competent though and quite good fun.

18 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Not the Yeti city version and similar, like the Monte Carlo.

The salesman lent me his monte carlo 150 dsg 4x4 for a long test drive over a couple of hours.

This did not have hill hold and I had to use the handbrake to do a hill start, which was quite difficult.

Hmmm, I always thought that Hill Hold was an intrinsic part of the DSG gearbox set up. I had Hill Hold on an Octavia and both Yeti's with DSG and was led to believe that all DSG variants had it. I can understand your problems with using the hand brake and making a controlled smooth take off with the DSG box. With Hill Hold you simply take your foot off the footbrake and accelerate smoothly away while Hill Hold prevents any rolling back. I am surprised because all the DSG variants I have had have had Hill Hold included without me asking or specifying it. Not sure if I would have bought one without Hill Hold.

Edited by Expatman

I wouldn't have either.

The salesman said it was the Yeti outdoor being perceived as an off road capable vehicle needing hill hold. The monte carlo was a city  version sporty yeti and hill hold was not thought approriate. He thought it stupid as well, but then he couldn't sell me a monte carlo then as already discontinued

Edited by kenfowler3966

7 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

They just make it up as they go along sometimes, that salesperson is maybe selling Solar Panels now.

You know they lie when their lips move.

:biggrin: so true Awayoffski

it seams that many people like the lies,  I think it makes them feel better after they've been violated.

just off to get some solar panels on the yeti

:tongueout:

On 8/15/2017 at 12:53, kenfowler3966 said:

As the Monte Carlo is based on the city Yeti, it does not have hill hold as standard. The car I was given to test drive to see if I wanted to order an SEL 150 dsg, did not have it. For some bizarre reason the city spec was not thought to need it. Personally I think it is near essential and I found that car quite hard to drive off on a steep hill, and a lot less easy to drive than the car I now have.

We have two city Yeti's

Both have Hill Hold.

Lee

Just checked back on old "saved" specs of Yeti's built on the configurator - back as far as 2012. The spec of every Yeti with DSG includes Hill Hold. 

As I said I understood Hill Hold was intrinsic to DSG's. 

Well I am on now my third Yeti with hill hold so am very used to using it.

The salesman warned me that his Monte Carlo dsg did not have it, and it would start to roll back down a hill as soon as the footbrake was released, so it had to be held on the handbrake until the engine and clutch had enough bite.

This was a nearly new demonstrator, so I cant reconcile the statements above with the car I test drove to see if I wanted a dsg.

Driving a dsg without hill hold was not very easy.

Guest FurryFriend
On 17/08/2017 at 06:32, Halford said:

:biggrin: so true Awayoffski

it seams that many people like the lies,  I think it makes them feel better after they've been violated.

just off to get some solar panels on the yeti

:tongueout:

Made us laugh this one. 

I still remember going into Curry's/PC World with my Son a few years ago. We had this guy ringing several branches trying to find us a left handed monitor. 

My car has a solar panel. She beams at me from the passenger seat, providing a stream of driving advice. My little ray of sunshine.  :biggrin:

13 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Well I am on now my third Yeti with hill hold so am very used to using it.

The salesman warned me that his Monte Carlo dsg did not have it, and it would start to roll back down a hill as soon as the footbrake was released, so it had to be held on the handbrake until the engine and clutch had enough bite.

This was a nearly new demonstrator, so I cant reconcile the statements above with the car I test drove to see if I wanted a dsg.

Driving a dsg without hill hold was not very easy.

I have looked at a few old brochures and you are correct in that all dsg's are stated to have hill hold as standard. Can't understand then why the nearly new 66 reg car I test drove did not have this working? Can it be turned of in maxidot; can't say I have ever looked for that option?