Inner tyre walls wear

Had my car 4 wheel aligned a few months ago because the inner shoulders of the tyres were wearing heavily, it was all done and was okay slightly out.

Had the breaks done the other day and to my astonishment the inner walls of the rear tyres are shot (fronts starting to go same way)...so ended up taking it back to the place that did the work, they checked it all again and said it was all in spec and even showed me the computer with all the green lights indicating it was okay.

They haven't a clue why my tyres are wearing so badly on the inside tip .

Any ideas ?20170814_100431.thumb.jpg.d365e954036e1ef8bccf370025bd7f9d.jpg

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Appreciate your response mate but this begs the question as to why now have my tyres suddenly decided to not like speed cushions ?

It's a new issue the last lot of tyres didn't really have this issue and most of my miles are motorway .

The guy at the tyre place said Audi and bmw are the worse culprits for this.

I suffer with this on a BMW due to silly wide tyres so try to ride over the cushion on just one side of the car. Unless you are carrying a lot of weight in the rear on a regular basis I can't think of any other reason for such tyre wear if the geometry is correct.

Are they Vredstien Ultrac tyres? If so I have had those on other cars and had no problem other than not lasting as long as my preferred Michelin's, in fact a very good tyre. 

See: 

Rears were fine but the fronts wearing on the inner shoulder. Have put fronts up to match the rears at 36PSI. 

RS3s like the F1A3 that I use are known to be soft sidewalled. Up the pressures. 

If you carry weight in the back of a Superb II (seats or boot) the independant rear suspension does camber in that then causes tyre wear on the inside.

Mine really wore the inside of the rear tyres on a long drive through France fully laden with people and luggage.

Before and after when not laden wear was more even.

Edited by bigjohn

2 hours ago, jafo said:

@Taximark check pressure and maybe try different place to check alignment - what guarantee do you have that their machine is installed/configured/used correctly? 

Well I was thinking the same mate.

Apparently their machine is a state of the art one but they would say that wouldn't they , I've always preferred the hunter machine though .

36 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

If you carry weight in the back of a Superb II (seats or boot) the independant rear suspension does camber in that then causes tyre wear on the inside.

Mine really wore the inside of the rear tyres on a long drive through France fully laden with people and luggage.

Before and after when not laden wear was more even.

That sounds interesting especially as I do carry weight often .

56 minutes ago, Taximark said:

That sounds interesting especially as I do carry weight often .

This may be your issue then  - The Superb II doesn't have very strong rear springs and can easily sag at the rear end with weight which causes quite a lot of negative camber.

You cant adjust this with 4 wheel alignment as this would then be wrong when unladen.

I wonder if there are some stronger springs available?

As well as on this car - I remember having this years ago on a 1971 Ford Zodiac MKIV that must have been a very early car with independant rear suspension.  When we went on holiday with a family of 5 (where us children were adults now - infact I was driving then) and a boot/roofrack full of luggage the rear wheels had very bad negative camber. So much so a rear wheel bearing failed  in France (which I repaired on someones drive!)   and both rear tyres were scrubbed out on the inside during the holiday

Edited by bigjohn

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

This may be your issue then  - The Superb II doesn't have very strong rear springs and can easily sag at the rear end with weight which causes quite a lot of negative camber.

You cant adjust this with 4 wheel alignment as this would then be wrong when unladen.

I wonder if there are some stronger springs available?

As well as on this car - I remember having this years ago on a 1971 Ford Zodiac MKIV that must have been a very early car with independant rear suspension.  When we went on holiday with a family of 5 (where us children were adults now - infact I was driving then) and a boot/roofrack full of luggage the rear wheels had very bad negative camber. So much so a rear wheel bearing failed  in France (which I repaired on someones drive!)   and both rear tyres were scrubbed out on the inside during the holiday

You mean springs like these, nsr spring broke after damper failed (never knew damper was leaking)

20170314_115520.jpg

19 minutes ago, Taximark said:

You mean springs like these, nsr spring broke after damper failed (never knew damper was leaking)

20170314_115520.jpg

Sort of,

I really meant the springs could be a bit stiffer/thicker - although they would be less fragile

On a Passat (II) in the past the Estate springs made the saloon springs look like they should have been fitted to a pen! On the Superb I think the spring are the same for both. Are there any coil or gas spring  assisted shocks available? I fitted something like this to my dads Volvo estate a few years ago - you had a pressure gauge in the boot where you could set the height with a tyre inflator pump

Saying that when unladen the ride is pretty good  - although my Superb I was better , but rolled a bir around corners

Actually your photo shows the issue (ignoring the broken spring!) -  You can see where the suspension pivots further inboard on the car. Basically  the wheel would be at a very different angle between the top and bottom of the suspension travel

Edited by bigjohn

Mad suspension do airbag kits that go inside the coils to assist when carrying a load. I fitted these to my brothers Octavia VRS earlier this year. Like you said simple valve in the boot to inflate with blow off valve to prevent over inflation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Mad suspension do airbag kits that go inside the coils to assist when carrying a load. I fitted these to my brothers Octavia VRS earlier this year. Like you said simple valve in the boot to inflate with blow off valve to prevent over inflation. 

Ah, very useful thanks

Just because they got the lights in the green doesn't mean they got the alignment right. (fairly obvious statement given the wear).

It would be more useful if you could post the settings of your vehicle.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brad1.8T said:

Just because they got the lights in the green doesn't mean they got the alignment right. (fairly obvious statement given the wear).

It would be more useful if you could post the settings of your vehicle.

Can you elaborate a little?

Btw rear tyres off and this is what they looked like .20170818_164909.thumb.jpg.050b4de098e6780eb2818e39263328d1.jpg20170818_164903.thumb.jpg.0982b31e38f897992b2792921bcce85f.jpg

1 hour ago, linni said:

I tow a lot and I had the same problem until I inflated rear tyres to maximum allowed 3,2 bar (18"). Now, two plus years later, no problem.

wow 3.2 bar (46 psi ) - seems rather high. However might try much higher pressures at the rear when loading the car up

Edited by bigjohn

I've also had this happen, my post is the 4th one down, with pictures. I've also had this happen on a Passat B6, a Passat CC, and others have had it on Seat Leon etc so common to VWG vehicles.