Skoda Extended Warranty

Is the Skoda extended {to 4 or 5 years) warranty worth considering? Does it provide the same cover as the standard 3 year warranty? 

Also can you buy it after taking delivery of your new car? After a year or two? 

As I intend keeping my on order Octavia for 5+ years I am minded to buy the extra two years for around £500, but I have had a fairly negative experience with a Warranty Direct aftermarket warranty on my current VRS, so I want to be sure its worthwhile.

Specifically does the Skoda warranty cover against carbon build up in the inlet manifold/tracts?    

Yes the cover is the same as the first 3 years. You have to buy it when you buy the car, not later. You can buy a warranty later, but it will be considerably more expensive. Definitely worth doing if the car is a long term keeper and you want that peace of mind. I'd only ever go for a manufacturer warranty scheme, as I've heard nothing but bad things about 3rd party ones.

Hard to answer the last one... If that causes an issue then yes it should be covered. Not sure you will see a carbon build up issue within 5 years though.

The 4 or 5 years Skoda Warranty has to be ordered before the car is registered as ahenners states, It's and extention of the Skoda Factory warranty. I think the warranty  bought after 3 years, same as the approved warranty when you purchase a second hand car isn't a warranty from the factory and I believe it's a third party warranty. I don't think It covers the same things as the Factory warranty. It used to be a Car Plan Warranty

I have ordered for mine during car configuration, before placing an order to the factory. In our country it is extension from 4 to 5 years, with all conditions remain.

Makes sense, even if you are about to sell it earlier. I plan to drive it 5 year, but who knows, can be 2, can be 10...

36 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I think the warranty  bought after 3 years, same as the approved warranty when you purchase a second hand car isn't a warranty from the factory and I believe it's a third party warranty. I don't think It covers the same things as the Factory warranty. It used to be a Car Plan Warranty

Correct, it doesn't extend the factory one, and it is administered by a 3rd party company (Lawshield) but it is a Skoda Manufacturer and VWFS backed scheme and the cover is provided by Volkswagen Insurance AG.

It does cover to almost the same level as a new car manufacturer warranty if you take the 'all components cover". The maximum claim limit is the purchase price of the car, and the exclusions are mainly wear and tear items. The main obvious exclusion is stuff inside the car i.e. trim, infotainment units etc. Which would be covered with the new, Manufacturer one.

That said, I've never been able to get a reasonable quote out of it for a year of cover, so it makes the factory warranty extension look like a bargain. My <30k 4 year old VRS is quoted at something like £870 with £0 excess selected for a year of cover with this.

https://www.insurewithskoda.co.uk/Products/ExtendedWarrantyCover/

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ahenners said:

Hard to answer the last one... If that causes an issue then yes it should be covered. Not sure you will see a carbon build up issue within 5 years though.

Hopefully not due to additional indirect injectors on the O3 2.0TSi, but definitely an issue on my O2 requiring inlet manifold replacement at under 50K miles and also triggering fault codes from year 2 on.  Not uncommon on direct injection petrol engines from several manufacturers.   

Specifically excluded from Warranty Direct and probably other providers.

Edited by juan27

Just now, juan27 said:

Hopefully not due to additional indirect injectors on the O3 2.0TSi, but definitely an issue on my O2 requiring inlet manifold replacement at under 50K miles and also triggering fault codes from year 2 on.  Not uncommon on direct injection petrol engines from several manufacturers.   

My MK2 FL TSI didn't have the issue by 80k despite others having it way before, so as with any defect/issue there's an element of pot luck. With the additional injectors I think you will be ok with the MK3 within the first 5 years at least and possibly beyond that.

The oldest MK3s are just over 4 years since first registration now and I don't recall seeing any examples of carbon build up issues on here yet. Doesn't mean it won't happen later down the line but short of a crystal ball there's only really one way to find out...

I've added it to my order. It does seem a good deal, even if handing over £500+ for something that won't even come into play until late 2020 seems a bit bizarre. 

I've been considering this too, along with the service pack. I kind of assumed that I would be able to sort it out when I come to collect the car but from what people are saying it sounds like I might need to do it earlier. Is that right? My car should be built next week. Am I too late?

With the car coming up to 3 years old, I was offered Extended Warranty (Web Site https://skoda-extendedwarranty.co.uk ) and for my 44,000 mile 1.4 tsi 140ps, DSG the price for 1 year was £190. This was for "All Components" (rather than the cheaper "Selected Components"), £0 excess and >15,000 mile per year. Seemed good value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retiredbri said:

With the car coming up to 3 years old, I was offered Extended Warranty (Web Site https://skoda-extendedwarranty.co.uk ) and for my 44,000 mile 1.4 tsi 140ps, DSG the price for 1 year was £190. This was for "All Components" (rather than the cheaper "Selected Components"), £0 excess and >15,000 mile per year. Seemed good value.

That's exceptionally good value! Did they send you a letter with this price, or did you simply go to that site and input your details?

My approved used warranty expires in October and I've had nothing but silly quotes for my VRS...Screenshot_20170825-190341.thumb.png.9fd5815cabb7f4a088c531844d8c3cd4.png

I just went to site and selected what I wanted. I did a matrix of various options and got the following:

Selected Components,  over 15k miles, Excess=£250, quote for 1 year was £136
All Components, over 15k miles, Excess=£0, quote for 1 year was £190

Is it the VRS that has driven the price up? Try for  a petrol 1.4 tsi 140PS with the same milage and age to see what you get.

2 minutes ago, retiredbri said:

I just went to site and selected what I wanted. I did a matrix of various options and got the following:

Selected Components,  over 15k miles, Excess=£250, quote for 1 year was £136
All Components, over 15k miles, Excess=£0, quote for 1 year was £190

Is it the VRS that has driven the price up? Try for  a petrol 1.4 tsi 140PS with the same milage and age to see what you get.

Must be, or engine size possibly. A 1.4tsi elegance turns out a quote for £330 despite being older but same mileage.

BMWs pricing structure for extended warranty is better as it's flat per model, so a 316d costs the same as a 340i. Both of which are significantly cheaper to put a warranty on under 60k mileage than a VRS... 

It seems a bit strange that the extended warranty can only be ordered up to the point where the car is actually built, so does that perhaps suggest some slightly better/more reliable components being fitted? Or do they just sprinkle magic dust over it when it leaves the production line? ;)

I think that the warranty period is registered with the vin number and registered with the factory so that no matter where the car is, the warranty validity can be checked. Different countries have different warranty lengths. While the eu would all be similar, the UK used to have more so it would be useful if the information was all kept centrally.

The easiest way to do this is at build.

The Warranty offered is a trade-off of the cost of repairs compared with the cost of the quality of the parts and workmanship.  The better the quality (and higher cost), the less likelihood of failure so a longer warranty can be offered.

Buying an extended warranty during manufacture just puts your money into the pot so, if there’s a problem, there’s a more money to fix it.

If Skoda were to up the price of all their cars so there was a lot more money in the warranty pot, then they could offer everyone 4 year warranty.

My car is not yet 3 years old but has done 45,000 miles. At 3 years old, the my normal warranty expires. (I would believe that not many people get to 60,000 mile but have no warranty left because of the time.)

I have just bought an extra 1 years warranty for £190 that covers me up to 100,000 miles of 4 years, whichever is the less. I’m going to keep the car so will probably buy one more year in September 2018.

.....suggest some slightly better/more reliable components being fitted? Or do they just sprinkle magic dust over it when it leaves the production line?

So, I'm afraid Howard, there is no magic dust or anything at all to that is different to your car compared to anyone elses car.

As a footnote, I could be cynical. Maybe Skoda cars are so good that they do 4years or 60,000 mile without many problems but they know that people buy will buy extended warranty to feel safe.

Regards Retiredbri

20 minutes ago, retiredbri said:

I have just bought an extra 1 years warranty for £190 that covers me up to 100,000 miles of 4 years, whichever is the less. I’m going to keep the car so will probably buy one more year in September 2018.

So, I'm afraid Howard, there is no magic dust or anything at all to that is different to your car compared to anyone elses car.

That's actually quite reassuring, since I can't afford a new car but was wondering why the extended warranty was only available on newbuilds. A 2 year extended warranty would have been £600 for a Yeti, and that seems a far better investment than paint protection and other dealer packages they seem so keen to offer!

12 hours ago, HowardBury said:

It seems a bit strange that the extended warranty can only be ordered up to the point where the car is actually built, so does that perhaps suggest some slightly better/more reliable components being fitted? Or do they just sprinkle magic dust over it when it leaves the production line? ;)

The Extended Factory warranty can be ordered anytime before the car is registered.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I paid the £600 extra for SHMBO Yeti for year 4 & 5, glad I did as 3 years and 3 days old the car smelled of burning, and the reversing lights and camera stopped working also came up with the oil level sender fault. 

After a bit of a debate with the dealer who was convinced it was the dash cam install, it turned out (after a number of days and Skoda uk's help) to be the environmental sensor for the climate control - all covered on the extended factory warranty ( I unfortunately had to remind the dealer) . Also I found the same fault on an Audi forum before they diagnosed it! I worry about dealers and electrical faults - doesn't inspire confidence. I hate to think what I'd of been charged.

Anyhow Its also worth noting that the warranty is transferable and perhaps a selling point if selling the car before the 5 years.

10 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The Extended Factory warranty can be ordered anytime before the car is registered.

24 minutes ago, Greenliner1 said:

Anyhow Its also worth noting that the warranty is transferable and perhaps a selling point if selling the car before the 5 years.

Thanks guys, but it's a demonstrator I'm looking at so there's no chance of me getting the extended warranty by the sound of it. I'll maybe just put away some of the money I've saved instead of spending it!

On 31/08/2017 at 08:41, Auric Goldfinger said:

AND much later, as in my post

On 31/08/2017 at 08:12, retiredbri said:

My car is not yet 3 years old but has done 45,000 miles. At 3 years old, the my normal warranty expires. (I would believe that not many people get to 60,000 mile but have no warranty left because of the time.)

14 hours ago, HowardBury said:

Thanks guys, but it's a demonstrator I'm looking at so there's no chance of me getting the extended warranty by the sound of it. I'll maybe just put away some of the money I've saved instead of spending it!

I do not know why everyone is saying that you have to get the Extended Warranty  before delivery. It may be cheaper but I've was able to do mine at 3 years old.

Howard, a demonstrator is just the same as any other Skoda so there is no reason that you couldn't get extended warranty after 3 years.

7 minutes ago, retiredbri said:

I do not know why everyone is saying that you have to get the Extended Warranty  before delivery. It may be cheaper but I've was able to do mine at 3 years old.

Howard, a demonstrator is just the same as any other Skoda so there is no reason that you couldn't get extended warranty after 3 years.

Thanks for this. My understanding is that the warranty you are talking about is not the same as the full manufacturer's warranty extension that has to be ordered before delivery, but I agree it is still an option that can be considered and I  might well go down that road at a later date.