Used 2014 vRS – advice appreciated

After a lot of deliberation we are looking hard at a used diesel vRS estate, registered Sept 2014, 29,000 miles on the clock, from a reputable garage in the south west. We are test driving next week. We are wondering what questions to ask around Euro-5 & 6 engine compliance and emissions/software cheating etc. I am assuming it will be a euro 5 engine.

We are also wondering if the sports suspension and 18" wheels will result in a noisy, jiggly ride. 

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

MM

If the emissions fix is applicable to the car, make sure that it has NOT been done. I wouldn't even consider it if it has been done. I briefly had a Yeti that had been fixed, similar age to that Octavia, and it did regens every day and had such little low down torque, it felt like I was driving a barge.

Obviously take it for a good, long drive, preferably without the dealer there and test it at a various range of speeds.

Is it a Skoda dealership? If so, then any emissions fix would have been applied already.

Good luck!

Edited by gman88667733

The Octavia 2L engine is not affected by the emissions software so nothing to worry about.

Main thing is to make sure you have a proper drive of the car you will buy (not another one the dealer might have).

Drive on as many road surfaces as possible & check for a "booming" sounds from the rear of the car.

There is a ongoing thread for this & is one of the main complaints for the O3.

Currently there is no official acceptance or solution from Skoda for this (even on 2017 models).

With the 2014 model there were some issues (accepted by Skoda) for boost pressure sensor faults & water pump replacements.

But if you get a 1-year warrenty from the dealer, you should be covered for these already.

Overall, the O3 is pretty reliable just don't expect it to have the comfort or noise isolation of an Audi.

Regarding the ride on the 18" wheels, I find my 2014 vRS to be a much smoother ride than a previous B7 model Audi A4 with the S-Line suspension. The ride quality difference is like night and day.

I also don't find the ride to be particularly noisey either when compared to the old A4. It may just be novelty value for me though having just moved from having a van as my daily driver!

18 minutes ago, MasterMunchkin said:

Great help, all. Encouraging on the emissions 'fix' front. The car is from a non-Skoda dealer. I have taken a look at the boom-resonance thread. That looks concerning. 

Again, thanks.

MM

Does the car have a warranty from the non-skoda dealer.  If you ring Skoda Customer Services, give them the Reg Number and ask about the car, servicing/any warranty claims/accident damage and was the car  been a private or hired car. Ask who has owned it, One owner doesn't mean much.  I am the only previous owner as I bought new.  One owner cars can also mean a Hire car Company.  Do your homework.

Think a member on here bought a one owner car from a dealer, the owner was Enterprise Car Hire I believe 

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Do ask if the water pump has been changed, as the car is entering the window where the problem becomes evident. Mine went at about 36,000. Overheats not long after a cold start, and going uphill early in the drive seems to set it off. 

Have a read of this thread

And yes the engine will be Euro 5.

Euro 5....?! 

5 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

Do ask if the water pump has been changed, as the car is entering the window where the problem becomes evident. Mine went at about 36,000. Overheats not long after a cold start, and going uphill early in the drive seems to set it off. 

Have a read of this thread

And yes the engine will be Euro 5.

Er....

I think you will need to check your v5 to determine the euro level but I believe your car is Euro 5 not 6.

Euro 6 came in for all cars registered after September 2015 and for type approval from September 2014.

So a car registered in September 2014 I believe is going to be euro 5. According to this site, https://www.raccars.co.uk/value-my-car/ my March 2014 registered vrs is only Euro 5.

But as I do drive in London occasionally, I would like to be proved wrong and have a Euro 6 car, so I don't have to pay the T-Charge.

I purchased my 2014 VRS TDI estate back in march and had the similar concerns about the euro 5/6 and the new charges being implicated by the government / councils under the N0x emissions. The engine in mine is 100% a euro 5 diesel engine. I decided to stay with a diesel as I do a fair few miles every week and its giving me a solid 46/47 average MPG with a REVO map installed (plus I wanted something with a load of torque for shifting loads).

I Checked the VIN on the skoda website for any re-calls and I don't think the EA engine currently needs a re-call.

I test drove mine twice to make sure I could live with a DSG (I've never owned an auto before this) and can say although sometimes it does feel like the box has a brain fart pulling out at junctions its a pretty solid box and I enjoy driving it as much as my other manual cars. I feel the car is very well spec'd for the price  I paid,and shows up other fancy German cars which cost quite a bit more.

Edited by VRSrobster

Last 2 posts are correct, it will be EURO 5 with that model year.

4 hours ago, VRSrobster said:

I Checked the VIN on the skoda website for any re-calls and I don't think the EA engine currently needs a re-call.

EA189 is the previous gen CR diesel which is subject to the recall. EA288 is the one in the MK3 which is not subject to the recall, but both have EA designations.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

Last 2 posts are correct, it will be EURO 5 with that model year.

EA189 is the previous gen CR diesel which is subject to the recall. EA288 is the one in the MK3 which is not subject to the recall, but both have EA designations.

EA288 were designed to Euro6 spec

from launch in 2013.. 

It doesn't make any difference when your car was registered or MY!! 

49 minutes ago, Legend said:

EA288 were designed to Euro6 spec

from launch in 2013.. 

It doesn't make any difference when your car was registered or MY!! 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-ea288-diesel-engines-not-affected/

A volkswagen statement issued on 23 October said: "After thorough examination it is now confirmed that no software constituting an improper defeat device as defined in law is installed in vehicles with EA288 EU5-engines."

Until now, Volkswagen was only willing to confirm that Euro 6 versions of the EA288 engine were unaffected, but now it appears that older versions - built between 2012 -2015 - of the 1.6 and 2.0 four-cylinder diesel are free of the so-called 'cheat device'.

Article clearly differentiates between Eu5 and Eu6 EA288 engines

Edited by ahenners

55 minutes ago, ahenners said:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/volkswagen-emissions-scandal-ea288-diesel-engines-not-affected/

A volkswagen statement issued on 23 October said: "After thorough examination it is now confirmed that no software constituting an improper defeat device as defined in law is installed in vehicles with EA288 EU5-engines."

Until now, Volkswagen was only willing to confirm that Euro 6 versions of the EA288 engine were unaffected, but now it appears that older versions - built between 2012 -2015 - of the 1.6 and 2.0 four-cylinder diesel are free of the so-called 'cheat device'.

Article clearly differentiates between Eu5 and Eu6 EA288 engines

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/63498/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-a-ea-189-engine-

Edited by Legend

27 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ok so honest John have confused themselves it seems.

DVLA data seems to suggest Euro 5 MK3 Octavia diesels exist. Example vehicle is an Octavia VRS 184 2.0 diesel DSG registered in March 2014.

Compliance for Euro 6 started from September 2014 for new type approvals and applied to registrations from September 15 onwards.

Screenshot_20170825-182949.png

Screenshot_20170825-183209.png

Ok, your missing the point. EA288 engines were designed from launch with Euro 6 specs i.e. SCR coated DPF and high/low pressure EGR and VVT. 

They would not be considered EURO 6 until that variation of emission control came in. 

9 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ok, your missing the point. EA288 engines were designed from launch with Euro 6 specs i.e. SCR coated DPF and high/low pressure EGR and VVT. 

They would not be considered EURO 6 until that variation of emission control came in. 

But surely it's irrelevant.. the engine could be designed for Euro 9, but it's only going to be approved to the level available at that time. So in this case Euro 5. 

If the government decide to penalise/tax Euro 5 but not Euro 6 cars in the near or distant future, it's very relevant because the model year/reg date will have a significant effect here, even if the engine itself is identical.